Murphy's Kitchen Laws

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Murphy's Law = If anything can go wrong it will go wrong.

There are, without a doubt, many that apply to our endeavors in the kitchen. Here's one to get the ball rolling. Share your favorites.

MKL #1: If you have meat in a plastic bag either thawing or marinating in the refrigerator, it will only leak if you don't put a plate or pan under it.

What are your MKLs?

Certain unnamed members of my household only remember to shake the OJ when the lid isn't very secure.... but I'm not namin names :)

Dropped bread product always lands topping side down.
Pizza, buttered toast, half a sandwich....

You open the refrigerator and reach for the drink you saved .....you guessed it all gone and so is your half sandwich hidden behind it. And everyone you ask say's I dunno!
kades

The recipe you've made successfully dozens of times for yourself, will go terribly wrong whenever you make it for company.

The recipe you've made successfully dozens of times for yourself, will go terribly wrong whenever you make it for company.

you are so right, made new york no knead bread today. not pleased with the turn out, wouldn't serve it to anyone, much less to my dinner guests tomorrow night.

if you only have one egg left, you will drop it on the floor. lol:ohmy:

I like this one:

Your kitchen sink drain will become clogged when you're ready to do the dishes after Thanksgiving dinner!

The kitchen trash can is full beyond capacity, someone always manages to balance that empty one gallon milk jug on top to avoid taking the trash out.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When someone drops some small tidbit of food on the floor and assumes the dog will get it. NOT! I step on or in it and it's always mushy.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As soon as I start making dinner why is it that suddenly everyone needs to be in there also?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I wash the last dirty cup or dish and turn out the lights to go to bed, why is it I wake up to a sink half full of dirty dishes again?

Guests always seem to drop by on tea or i always seem to invite them on dinner when the maid is on leave and i dont have any helping hand!

The size of the workspace is inversely proportional to the amount of people who want to be in it!

gotta be something with eggs

like babe said, dropping the last egg, or when needing to seperate them, the yolk will break, or the final egg added to the mix will be off and you ruin the whole batter..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I wash the last dirty cup or dish and turn out the lights to go to bed, why is it I wake up to a sink half full of dirty dishes again?

That is the work of the evil kitchen-elves. Sworn enemy of the do-good kitchen fairies.

The less time you have to cook dinner, the more the kitchen will need cleaning before you can start.

The person checking out just in front of you at the grocery store always has items you didn't know they carried and wish you had :wub:

The person checking out just in front of you at the grocery store always has healthier, greener, smarter items that make you feel ashamed of that sinful item glaring at you that you couldn't resist :pig:

The person in the checkout line in front of you picked up an item that is either the wrong thing or damaged and you have to wait until the bagger fetches another.

The person in front of you wants to pay with a check.

You get into the shortest line at the grocery store only to find that the cashier is a trainee and has to have each item explained by the trainer.

The person in the checkout line in front of you picked up an item that is either the wrong thing or damaged and you have to wait until the bagger fetches another.

The person in front of you wants to pay with a check.

You get into the shortest line at the grocery store only to find that the cashier is a trainee and has to have each item explained by the trainer.

I seem to have a knack for selecting the worst grocery line to get on, and the worst lane to drive in on the expressway. Even when I select the "other " line to go on, when Im trying to outsmart my bad luck, it still turns out to be the worst one. Just cant win:mad:

Unfortunately, if you want a well-trained cashier at some point they have to be loosed on the public. It is a pain, but worth it in the end. I've been that trainee at times and have always appreciated those customers who were patient and kind during my learning process.

I know, I know...off the topic, but some things need to be pointed out. And patience with new cashiers (and old ones) is a great skill to have. Makes you memorable in a favorable light...rather than the cashier cringing everytime they see you in line. First impressions and all.

Back
Top Bottom