Mushroom Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stark

Assistant Cook
Hi,

Just bought 5lbs of mushrooms as they were a great deal. We usually have sauteed mushrooms with port, and love them that way, but have no desire to have 5lbs of them.

Looking for ideas to use them. Ideally want a mushroom dish and not an "something & mushrooms" dish if you know what I mean. I know this is not easy but thought I would ask. There has to be some dishes that are mushroom centered, the whole world cannot saute them.

If there is something Italian maybe? or some baked mushroom dish?

Thanks

Stuffed mushroom caps
roasted or baked mushrooms
in place of meat in a rice dish, i.e. mushroom pilaf

My first thought is Cream of Mushroom soup.......love it!
This is a good recipe, although I always add a couple of tablespoons of Sherry at the end.

Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe | Simply Recipes

Marinated whole mushrooms is another idea for use in salads, or just as "pop in the mouth" snacks. You could make your own marinade, or go the simple way, and just pour Italian salad dressing over the little darlins'.

Enjoy!!

PS.......this looks like a delicious casserole!!http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1950,156183-227202,00.html

Last edited:
Mushroom Casserole

1 pound (16 ounces) brown mushrooms, cleaned, chopped, sauteed
1 large onion, well chopped sauteed
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped slightly cooked
3 cups cooked brown rice, room temperature
2 large eggs
1 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
a bit of fresh tarragon, chopped

Mix it all together except the terragon. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes covered and 30 mintues uncovered. Then sprinkle with the chopped terragon and some parmesan cheese.

Stuffed mushroom caps
Hungarian mushroom soup
Hot mushroom dip

Now I'm hungry for mushrooms ... :)!

Mushroom Casserole

PS.......this looks like a delicious casserole!!Cooks.com - Recipe - All-Time Favorite Mushroom Casserole[/QUOTE]

You're right, it looks so delicious that I tried to copy it. Now can you tell me why it shuts down my MS Word when I try to paste it. I don't want the whole page, just the recipe and I want to be able to adjust the font so I can read it. Is there some kind of block?

Last edited:
PS.......this looks like a delicious casserole!!Cooks.com - Recipe - All-Time Favorite Mushroom Casserole

You're right, it looks so delicious that I tried to copy it. Now can you tell me why it shuts down my MS Word when I try to paste it. I don't want the whole page, just the recipe and I want to be able to adjust the font so I can read it. Is there some kind of block?[/QUOTE]

Got to the printer friendly version and copy and paste from there!! :)

Since you love them sauteed with port, you have a start. Make the mushrooms with port the way you normally like them, but twice or more than usual. Put some cream in the leftovers the next day, et voila! Mushroom soup.

Stroganof. Again, since you have the sauteed mushrooms with port, just mix a tablespoon of flour (I like Wondra for this, but regular flour works OK) and a couple of tomato paste into a container of sour cream. Saute some beef cubes, add the mushrooms, some beef stock, and when all cooked 'til tender, take off the heat and stir in the sour cream mixture. Put it back on the burner and heat until thickened. Season with ground pepper and paprika. Serve on egg noodles (the most traditional I think), rice, or even potatoes (the way my dad likes it).

The thing is, even if you take all of the mushrooms and do your saute with port, it will make the leftovers last longer, and you can make these two dishes with the sauteed-in-port mushrooms!

Stem and stuff with a bread stuffing that can, if you wish, have some crab (or, yes, even krab) mixed in. I take the stems and chop into the stuffing mix. Brush with oil or melted butter, lightly sprinkle with cheese, broil until bubbly. Great appetizer.

As I have mentioned many times around here, mushrooms are my favourite food. I could eat them day and night and never ever get tired of them.

One of my favourites right now is I fry them in some butter and olive oil, sprinkling them with some Old Bay seasoning and just until they are tender and maybe a little browned but not too much and not dried out. I eat this as a side dish, by itself or the best one is over some noodles.

Another way to go is something I call Mushrooms Gratin. Place a single layer of sliced mushrooms on the bottom of a greased casserole (whatever size you need for the number of people (I do a single serving for me - onion soup bowls are good). Sprinkle with some garlic, salt and pepper, then cover with grated swiss cheese. Repeat the layers and top with some buttered bread crumbs and parmesan. Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until the mushrooms are hot and tender and the cheese is melted. The juice from the mushrooms keeps the dish from drying out.

Another way to go is something I call Mushrooms Gratin. Place a single layer of sliced mushrooms on the bottom of a greased casserole (whatever size you need for the number of people (I do a single serving for me - onion soup bowls are good). Sprinkle with some garlic, salt and pepper, then cover with grated swiss cheese. Repeat the layers and top with some buttered bread crumbs and parmesan. Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until the mushrooms are hot and tender and the cheese is melted. The juice from the mushrooms keeps the dish from drying out.

OH I am definately going to try this!!!! Thanks LP!!!!

Mushrooms Gratin

This, too, needs to go to the veggies forum! Don't want it to get lost! I'm going to be drowning in mushrooms! Heaven!:)

You're right, it looks so delicious that I tried to copy it. Now can you tell me why it shuts down my MS Word when I try to paste it. I don't want the whole page, just the recipe and I want to be able to adjust the font so I can read it. Is there some kind of block?

Got to the printer friendly version and copy and paste from there!! :)[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Princess:D

Wow, lookit all these gorgeous recipes. I'll just leave them at this thread for now.

I love to slice a few portabellas and saute them in garlic butter.

It can be a main dish this way, or added to stir fried summer squash with some shrimp. OOps, I know, only mushrooms, but it reminded me. I'll try to do better next time.

Last edited:
This, too, needs to go to the veggies forum! Don't want it to get lost! I'm going to be drowning in mushrooms! Heaven!:)

But if I do that then I have to make it into a real recipe with quantities and stuff......it makes my brain hurt.:wacko:

Well, since the Princess has requested, I must say "As you wish".

But if I do that then I have to make it into a real recipe with quantities and stuff......it makes my brain hurt.:wacko:

Well, since the Princess has requested, I must say "As you wish".

I'll help! :) I already have it copied and pasted.

Just a 4 person serving size, we can double or triple at will! And I accept approximations:)

As I have mentioned many times around here, mushrooms are my favourite food. I could eat them day and night and never ever get tired of them.

that's because you're a fungi to be with... ;)

how about a french classic, champignons farcis aux escargots, or mushrooms stuffed with snails in garlic butter?

if you like escargot, this is the way to do them. the upturned mushroom caps hold the butter for the snails to bathe in.

Back
Top Bottom