Mustard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
I made the mustard out of dry mustard powder. The ready made one, of the same brand, is by far one of the best mustards I ever had, but this one is practically not edible. It is so bitter and so HOT:furious: ; I cannot even touch the thing. The box says to mix 1:1 powder and cold water. I even tried to add sugar, and salt, and oil, and vinegar, all to on avail. It is still very bitter and very spicy. Any advice would be helpful.

P.S.unfortunately I cannot call the maker, the contact number is for England only.

English mustard is traditionally very very pungent. May I ask if there is a reason you simply do not use prepared jar mustard?

cut it with turmeric to lessen the pungency. start with .5m/.5t/1w and see what happens. turmeric has little flavor, a dry quality, and a deep yellow color...used in curries.

sounds like a lot of bother and worry! try Colman's...excellent and ready made... no mixing to mess about with!

CharlieD said:
I made the mustard out of dry mustard powder. The ready made one, of the same brand, is by far one of the best mustards I ever had, but this one is practically not edible. It is so bitter and so HOT:furious: ; I cannot even touch the thing. The box says to mix 1:1 powder and cold water. I even tried to add sugar, and salt, and oil, and vinegar, all to on avail. It is still very bitter and very spicy. Any advice would be helpful.

Can you inject a small portion into a hot dog? Then smother the dog with relish, onions, chili, sauerkaut, etc.

The reason I am not using ready made one is because it is not kosher, but that is really besides the point. I am using Colman's and yes the ready made Colman's mustard is by far one of the best mustards I ever had, unfortunately they have lost their kosher sertification and I can't have it anymore. i understand that it is very personal problem, and many may not undersatnd me on this one, but it it what it is.

I've already added too much water, it's starting to be too thin.

Tumeric, interesting. but what is 1w?

Actually Big Dog, that is a great idea, is there anybody here who can make a call for me? Please. I'll post the number after i get home and check it on the box.

Jeepers CharlieD, never saw Colman's prepared mustard, just have always used the dry.

And I like it with just a bit of water.

But that is just me.

Most commercial, i.e. prepared, mustards are a lot more than just mustard and water.

There can be wine, vinegar, sugar, spices, all sorts of ingredients.

What Colman's uses I have no idea.

You might want to play a bit with some ingredients.

Sorry that Colman's lost its Kosher rating.

Good luck and I hope you find a happy result.

I actualy did use Colmans recipe, just water, and I just couldn't eat it. I like very pungent mustard, but thios was way too much for me. Russian mustards are very strong, but not that strong.

Back
Top Bottom