"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-16-2007, 09:01 AM   #21
Head Chef

Absolutely!! Mustard is wonderful to cook with. Coat meat with it, make a basting sauce, flavor sauces... Great stuff!!

Old 11-16-2007, 05:47 PM   #22
Master Chef

I use different mustards for different things .... and I think everyone has already covered most of my uses .... except for potato salad, a macaroni salad I make some times, and a creole crab-cake recipe I haven't thought about in years. For Thanksgiving ... only thing I will use it for is deviled eggs ... until we break out the leftover ham for sammies later on ....

Old 12-15-2007, 07:07 PM   #23
Senior Cook

Location: northern Michigan in the forest, overlooking a waterfall
Dijon is always in my vinagrette for salad. Amy's sauce above is really good on green beans too and/or small boiled potatoes.
Not this year, but many years for Christmas, I make a variety of mustards for my family members that love different kinds. They always love that gift.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:26 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

deviled egg dip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
I use different mustards for different things .... and I think everyone has already covered most of my uses .... except for potato salad, a macaroni salad I make some times, and a creole crab-cake recipe I haven't thought about in years. For Thanksgiving ... only thing I will use it for is deviled eggs ... until we break out the leftover ham for sammies later on ....

i have a grandson that loves deviled eggs. always make em for him on thanksgiving. as u no doubt know they are very labor intensive.

this years made it with cream cheese, mayo. mustard , salt pepper u get idea and served as a dip with fritos. big hit, have been asked to bring for christmas day.

babetoo
Old 12-15-2007, 11:42 PM   #25
Head Chef

I have 6=8 different mustards in my pantry all of the time and make 6-7 more from formulas I have found over the years. I have yet to find one I don't like. My favorite ones are the more robust types. Would be glad to share my formulas just ask
Old 12-16-2007, 06:30 AM   #26
Senior Cook

The red and white mustard seed I use course cracked in paste rubs or marinades. the white more so if it seems good to keep a purer white color in a sauce or it looks like it would detract from fish. For the same reason I have the white, black and red peppercorms.

The powderd Colemans mustard, and others already mentioned get used regularly. The only reason that the brightly colored ordinary yellow mustard is in the refrigerator is the grandchildren like it.

I like it in deviled eggs. Found that they are a little easier for me to make if I pack the deviled egg in the cookie press and shoot the mix into the egg white half. It reduces my breaking the white and the star tip adds a flair to the devil egg.

DAVE PLEASE post your formulas!!!
Old 12-16-2007, 06:50 AM   #27
Senior Cook

I use a mustard glaze on my turkey for Christmas

For glaze
3/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/3 cup Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
Bring all ingredients to simmer in heavy medium saucepan.

Brush glaze over turkey, before cooking , and I brush more glaze during cooking

Dodi's Home Page
Dodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:11 PM   #28
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to jerseyjay14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
i was wondering if anyone here uses mustard like Grey Poupon Mustard in their recipes? now that Thanksgiving is almost coming is going to use mustard for their recipes?
i love mustard... especially when combined with puff pastry or pie dough. it put it in all my quiches and tarlets and often in any cream sauces ill make to accompany meats
Old 12-31-2007, 03:48 AM   #29
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
i was wondering if anyone here uses mustard like Grey Poupon Mustard in their recipes? now that Thanksgiving is almost coming is going to use mustard for their recipes?
Try this:
Make a paste of chopped flat-leaf parsley, olive oil, coarse stone-ground mustard, and garlic powder. Apply about a 1/4 inch thick coat to a boneless pork loin roast. Put in 400 degree oven, uncovered, for about 15 minutes to set coating. Reduce heat to 250 degrees, cover roast and cook several hours. And use the juice to make gravy for mashed potatoes. Incredibly yummy.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:46 PM   #30
Senior Cook

Uses for Mustard

Like many who have posted here, I use Dijon for many things, and typical "prepared" mustard for very little.

Dijon goes well in French Onion Soup, right after the final deglazing of the onions with white wine.

Salad dressings also benefit from mustard, as it helps the oil and vinegar mix and stay mixed (plus it adds flavor!).

As part of a glaze for ham, or other pork roasts, or for slathering over a salmon as well.

http://www.homemade-soup-recipes.com/
ErikC is offline   Reply With Quote