"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-31-2007, 01:05 PM   #31
Executive Chef

When I used to make alot of prime rib at the lodge I worked at I would put a thick layer of dijon all over the top and the sides then cover with cracked black pepper and granulated garlic.So simple but they came out very tasty especially the ends.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:36 PM   #32
Executive Chef

And I thought I was over-doing it by keeping three kinds of mustard in my fridge! Dave, EIGHT different kinds? Plus homemade formulations? Wow.

I typically keep basic "yellow" mustard for the kids, and to make potato salad with. I also keep Dijon mustard for me, as well as some Zatarain's Creole Mustard. I've also worked with a REAL whole-grain mustard, as the mix was just mustard seeds mixed with a hint of vinegar and other liquids.

I've used mustard as a coating for pork, beef, and lamb. I've also made a mustard-crusted, pan-seared salmon dish, where the salmon fillet is covered with whole mustard seeds, then pan-seared. The seeds imbed themselves into the fish, and give it a unique flavor, although many of the members at work weren't to thrilled about it.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:27 AM   #33
Executive Chef

I use mustard as a glaze base for ham, I use mustard as an emulsifier in salad dressings (and what great flavor it gives!) I use mustard to give a grilled cheese sandwich a bit of zip

I also like mustard on my fries, my burger, my dog, my ham n cheese sand, a bit in my potato salad dressing...etc
Old 01-10-2008, 09:17 PM   #34
Senior Cook

Hi to everyone,
Mustard - one of my favourite ingredients. For me it has to be included in a cheese sauce! I use 1 rounded teaspoon (per pint of milk) of smooth french mustard. When making my mayonnaise I always include some french mustard - again smooth french added to the yolks, S&P and sugar before I start adding the oil.

Herrings brushed with french mustard before grilling/broiling - the sharpness of the mustard cuts into the oiliness of the fish.

An old Scottish dish, Partan Pie uses mustard - this is basically a devilled crab with the "hot" ingredients being mustard, Worcestershire sauce and a dash of tabasco sauce. The crab is served hot in the shell.

I would add a pinch of dry English mustard to a cheese pastry/straws or biscuits. By the way, traditionally, WELSH RAREBIT is made with ale as the liquid ingredient - it is the UK version of the Swiss Fondue and thus the ale replace the Kirsch.
French mustard added to a cream sauce goes well with pork chops.

Oh, just had another thought, a pinch of dry mustard added to cheese scones improves the flavour as it does in a cheese bread or cheese and walnut loaf.

Oh dear, now you`ve set me thinking - I feel a baking day creeping up on me.

All the best,
Archiduc
Old 01-10-2008, 09:31 PM   #35
Senior Cook

Location: northern Michigan in the forest, overlooking a waterfall
mustard question

when you refer to French mustard, I assume you're referring to dijon mustard and not the brand name French's mustard.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:39 PM   #36
Cook

I've found that mustard adds something special to recipes where you would not expect mustard. Nearly any kind of salad, dressing, meats... the secret is not to overdo it. You should not taste the mustard. It should be that people will say, "there was something good in that, but I don't know exactly what".
Old 01-10-2008, 10:10 PM   #37
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmascarol1 View Post
when you refer to French mustard, I assume you're referring to dijon mustard and not the brand name French's mustard.
Hi there,
I hope this works and I`m doing the right thing - but that I mean hitting the right buttons etc.

Many thanks for your reply, I think you`ve just taught me an important point re. conversations between the UK and this forum when it comes to discussing foods.

You are absolutely correct. I am referring to Dijon mustard which most here would call french mustard or by a brand name. the one I`m using at the moment is Maille, although I also use store brand Dijon mustard. I haven`t seen French`s in my neck of the woods (Scotland) but I can see how some confusion may arise.

Thanks again,
Archiduc
Old 01-10-2008, 11:34 PM   #38
Senior Cook

dijon/french mustard

Thanks for clearing that up. Have you tried making mustards? That's a lot of fun and great gifts too. You can improvise off many recipes to make some pretty creative concoctions.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:42 PM   #39
Senior Cook

mustard making

HI again,

Yes, I have tried making mustards.

In the UK it is possible to buy dry mixes as the basis for making quite a variety. Amongst the ones that I`ve tried horseradish mustard and apple and horseradish have been my favourites. They were very easy to make and made great presents for friends and family.

I`m not sure whether I`m allowed to name the company but the company name is Foxes Spices or Fox`s Spices - can`t remember which.

Do you have any good recipes which you`d be willing to share?

All the best,
Archiduc
Old 01-11-2008, 12:03 PM   #40
Senior Cook

mustard recipes

here's a really delicious one courtesy of one of my favorite cookbooks "Better Than Storebought" byHelen Witty and Elizabeth Colchie. This book was published in the 70's and now you can find it on the web for over $100, used of course. Anyway their Green peppercorn mustard.
3 T mustard seeds
1/3 c. dry mustard
1/2 c. hot tap water1/2 white wine vinegar
1/2 c. dry white wine or dry white vermouth
pinch of cinnamon
1/2 t. dried tarragon, crubled
1/2 t. dill seed
2 t. kosher salt
pinch of ground cloves
1 t. honey
1 T green peppercorns (drained water-packed or freeze-dried. more if desired)

1. mix together the mustard seeds, dry mustard, water and vinegar let stand 3 hours or more
2. in small saucepan, bring to boil the wine, cinnamon, tarragon, dill seed, salt, and cloves, Strain into the mustard mixture and stir. Add hone and green peppercorns
3. Scrape into a food processor or blender and whirl to puree.
4. transfer to the top of double boiler over simmering water. Cook for 10 min. stirring often. It will thicken as it cools. Crush a few more peppercorns slightly and add for texture.
5. put into jar, cool and refrigerate.