Mustard: Do you use it for recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LuckyDuck

Assistant Cook
i was wondering if anyone here uses mustard like Grey Poupon Mustard in their recipes? now that Thanksgiving is almost coming is going to use mustard for their recipes?

I love mustard so it goes into a lot of recipes here. I made a quiche lorraine last night that has a couple of teaspoons of dijon in it. Also like to use mustard and balsamic vineger in a vinaigrette I like. Unfortunantly, I am the only one in the family that likes it. Everyone else prefers Hidden Valley. :ermm:

Jim

i was wondering if anyone here uses mustard like Grey Poupon Mustard in their recipes? now that Thanksgiving is almost coming is going to use mustard for their recipes?

Not for Thanksgiving as we don't celebrate it here, but I often use mustard. There is a lovely mustard vinaigrette as a dressing for asparagus. I use mustard as part of the glaze for my roast ham. I often use mustard powder in cream sauces to make it less sweet. And when coating fish or chicken in seasoned flour, mustard powder also raises its head. Oh and its a component of our seafood dressing.

Not familiar with the mustard you are referring to but the ones I use are Dijon, Mild English and Australian. The powder is an English one.

While I haven't personally used it, I believe you can add some into a savoury scone mix, the type you serve on top of casseroles. Some may call them dumplings or puddings.

Mustard is a great addition to so many meals. Once you've found a method you like, it's always fun to seek out new mustards too.

:)I love all kinds of mustard especially with good german sausages and kraut or in some salad dressings etc but like others not on Thankgiving.

I use mustard in a few dishes and it really adds zip. Dijon and plain old yellow mustard are definite stoples in the kitchen.

Dijon is one of my faves. I usually have brussels sprouts around Thanksgiving (& during the year). Tried a butter/mustard/lemon juice sauce that was pretty good. Depends on my recipe.

I used to hate mustard but now I absolutely adore it...so many possibilities. In fact, there is a specialty mustard store just around the corner from my apartment called Senf Salon (Mustard Salon). Many different variations of mustard, my particular favorite being "Tuscan Mustard" with olive oil, garlic and a tick of sun-dried tomato.

As mentioned already, it is a great emulsifier for vinaigrettes. Also very good for meat, in particular, it is common in Germany (probably elsewhere as well) to spread a layer of mustard on the inside of a roulade (very good). Also good for turkey if you want to make a different type of gravy, i.e. honey mustard.

I use mustard in most all of its incarnations, either the seeds toasted in hot oil before frying, or the powder to make my own or as a marinade or emulsifier in salad dressings, or the hot English mustard on a roast beef sammich, or in baking when I make cheese buns etc...

it`s great stuff!

Nobody at home likes the taste or smell of mustard. I dont mind the smell. I only use it for one purpose and one purpose only! A good marinade for a chicken roast, it really brings out a unique taste which cant be replaced by anything else. I only use a bit, but it still really makes a difference

In almost every cheese sauce I make is some mustard! Especially great in cauliflower cheese served with steak or roast beef IMO. Also, by extension great in Cheese souffles and under the cheese in cheese on toast. In almost any mea sandwich, on the table at almost all meals. Just thinking as a type that grainy mustard through hot steamed carrots might be worth trying too....

Hot dragon's toasts (a simpler version of Welsh Rarebit) gets a bit more interesting with a good dollop of mustard into the mix.

recipe please! Rarebit and its variants are such gread midweek suppers!

Hot Dragon's Toasts

3 ozs English cheddar cheese, grated thickly
"knob" (probably around a walnut size) of butter or margarine, soft
1 T milk
salt and pepper
2 large slices of bread

[Variation: A good dob of mustard of your choice and/or a bit of crushed garlic]

Now, when I was a kid, we always used the Kraft cheese block, but now I'm full-grown (!), I use whatever cheddar style cheese I have in the fridge. Don't use the pre-grated cheeses as they are too "stale" to blend well. Put all of the ingredients (incl any variational additions), except the bread, into a bowl and mix well. It needs to be blended into a firm paste - don't make it too firm though as you still need to spread it on the bread without tearing the bread. Under an overhead grill, toast one side only of the bread until golden. Remove and spread the cheese mixture on the uncooked side of the toast, relatively thickly. Return to grill until cheese is bubbling and starting to go gold in patches - as if the dragon's flame has just started to catch it. Cut and serve.

Adjust the quantities per person but beware of adding too much butter as it can make it very oily, depending also on your cheese. You can also add chopped mushrooms, sliced tomatoes, bits of asparagus, whatever you like to the toast before spreading the cheese. The variations are huge!

Also, if you are doing the mix for kids and adults, rather than making up seperate quantities for a plainer version, you can spread the mustard for instance onto the toast for the adults before topping with the plainer cheese mix. The kids can just have it straight.

The hardest thing here is grating the cheese. Oh and the mixture will keep in the fridge for several days in an airtight container.

Back
Top Bottom