Mustard Seed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey guys :chef:

Just got a new revolving spice rack that came with some spices. One of em sparked my curiosity; mustard seed.

So what can you do with this stuff? dips, rubs? any secrets? :)

Thanks guys!

You can make your own mustard for one.

It shows up in Indian Cooking and as a crusting ingredient occasionally.

Not TNT, but I'm pretty sure you could use it to season the meats that generally do well with mustard (steak, pork,...).

Generally mustard seeds are used in one of 3 ways:

1) Ground up and mixed with water and/or vinegar to make a mustard "sauce"
2) Roasted and crushed/ground for Indian curries - although they tend to be the brown or black seeds - not yellow
3) An ingredient in "pickling spice" - also used in spice packs for "corned beef" or spice blends for something like Zatarain's "Crab Boil", REX, and Old Bay.

I crack/crush it (in a zippie with my rolling pin) with cumin to add to my homemade chicken noodle soup ... I sweat then saute my onion, carrots and celery for about 15 - 20 minutes adding my seasonings to the last 5 minutes to allow them to "bloom" a bit before I add stock.

I throw some in my "corn relish salad" and my "dutch cabbage salad". I've never crushed them...are you suppose to? lol. I just liked the looks of it!

I like to throw them in the hot oil before stir frying or prior to searing chops. Heat until they begin to pop, then proceed with adding the other ingredients. The mustard gives the oil a very nice flavor. I also do this with sesame seeds.

Mustard seeds are widely used in Indian cooking, although the black/brown ones prevail. No reason why you can't use the yellow, though. Try something simple:
Parboil some whole green beans. Drain and set aside.
Heat some oil ( or ghee) in a pan, and when hot, add a tbsp of whole mustard seeds. When they begin to pop, add a tsp of minced garlic, and two tbsps grated coconut, stir around once or twice, then add the beans. Stirfry until just tender. Salt and pepper to taste.
I always use mustard seeds in my pickling spices, too.

KAYLINDA said:
...I've never crushed them...are you suppose to?...

No, I don't think so. For most uses, they would either "pop" or soften in the provided liquid. However, the first time my honey had my homemade soup, he asked (ever so sweetly:rolleyes: ) "What are these in my soup?" So I crush them so they don't look so odd and they also aren't so crunchy in the final product.

Mustard seeds

I use mustard seeds in the following.

!. Indian curries
2. Cheese based sauces and soups.
2. In mustard and honey salad dressing.
3. In the pickles i make.

Mel

Mustard (powdered) makes a great emulsifying agent, allowing you mix oil and vinigars in salad dressings.

thrown into a pan with hot oil also flavours the oil quite nicely, but be careful when doing this as they Do pop and can splatter oil.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom