"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 08-08-2006, 07:42 PM   #21
Senior Cook
ROTFL. (sorry) It would have been even funnier if it had been a spagetti squash. Strips hanging from pots and ladles. Draped across your doggies nose. Since you had to loose your lovely squash I am glad it went out with a bang, not an ignominious ooze across your bench. Also glad it did not save itself until the moment you inserted your knife tip. Now THERE would be a picture. Thanks for todays good belly laugh

Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:37 PM   #22
Master Chef
Dear Black Chef,

Thanks for your story--you've brought back memories of the time that my husband decided to be an amateur vintner (spelling?) and had several homemade bottled wines "blow their tops" and ruin several outfits in our closet----I was fit to be tied. OH, well, 30 years later we are still married!!

expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:53 AM   #23
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to kyles
I really shouldn't read threads about exploding vegetables at work!!! I shouldn't even be on the internet at work!!!

And Ellen, the mental image of exploding spaghetti squash is just too much!!!!
kyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:53 AM   #24
Head Chef
Originally Posted by GB
Half Baked has WMD or would that be SMD
Veggie of Mass Destruction?

I'm worried now, we've got a butternut squash stored in a cool dry place, it hasn't blown up, yet...

Although the distilling idea is intruiging to me.

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:56 AM   #25
Sous Chef
...anyone grow up with home brew stored under their beds??? Boy, could those bottle blow!!!
cjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:29 AM   #26
Master Chef
My Grandma Great was having a meeting of the Women's Christian Temperance Union in her parlor one hot summer afternoon, when Great-Grandpa's homemade beer started exploding in the basement, one after another, "Boom, boom, boom!"
She was mortified. I don't think he ever heard the end of it.

BlackChef, your situation sounds like one of those "I Love Lucy" moments that happen to me. Bless your heart, what a mess.

My husband dropped one of those plastic, screw-top bottles of Coke on the floor one day. Not only did it explode, but when it started spewing, it was like the bottle had a jet engine, spinning it around in circles. Coke went EVERYWHERE, all over the walls, the ceiling, anything within 12 feet. We scrubbed and scrubbed, but to this day, you can still see streaks in certain places.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 05:22 PM   #27
Master Chef
Dear Constance,

Did she tell them that the butternut squash was letting off steam??????
The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 05:56 PM   #28
Sous Chef
Yikes! Butternut squash isn't even in season, is it?
Noncooks think it's silly to invest two hours' work in two minutes' enjoyment; but if cooking is evanescent, so is the ballet. -Julia Child
Banana Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:31 AM   #29
Sous Chef
I can just imagine that squash blowing like that. Just glad it didn't happen on my boat.

Last year we had 25 gallons of wonderful grape juice beginning it's fermentation in our mud room. The proceedure called for the juice to be stirred vigorously 2x a day. Bob gets ready for work (shirt tie etc.) and proceeds to the mud room.

The juice is in 5 gallon plastic jugs with 1" openings. He removes the cheese cloth coverings one by one and stirs the contents with a wooden dowel. He gets to the 4th jug and notices that it's a bit bubblier than the others, but oh well - must be stirred. I hear this ungodly noise - there he is trying to duck from a spewing fountain of grape juice. Where's the camcorder when you need it????????? The four Pugs come a running and there's wonderful potential wine (60% syrah, 20% merlot, and 20% rubyred) from the ceiling on down the walls and all over Bob. He was not a happy camper - lost close to 2 gallons!

Harborwitch is offline   Reply With Quote