My Butternut Squash Exploded!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black chef

Senior Cook
:huh::LOL:

it was on my kitchen counter... it had been there for about 2 weeks.

i was going to make my "famous" butternut squash pie... and with the leftovers, make a butternut squash bread (like a brownie), but then... "BOOM!!!!":ohmy:

i jumped out of bed... ran into the kitchen and found the squash busted open-leaking down the cabinets and all over the floor.

uh... i've ruled-out terrorism, so what would cause this?

What a mess !:ROFLMAO: That would have scared me to death. So sorry, BC.....we'll see you after your kitchen is cleaned up.

In a word ... it was rotten to the core. With a hollow core ... the gases (from enzymatic decaying action) built up in the core until it just "exploded". The same thing happens with some other "over ripened" fruits and vegetables with a soft or hollow center - when held at room temp - tomatoes are one example.

Generally ... when the fruit/veg goes rotten ... so does the outer flesh ... and it just oozes a nasty mess all over everything. But, sometimes ... the flesh will stay intact enough for pressure to build up and cause an explosion.

Last edited:
Shunka said:
I have this "duck and cover" thing going through my mind reading this!! LOL!!
Now that you mention it Shunka,:ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: you just made my day!!

kadesma:angel:

:ROFLMAO: Well, that is what I would do and then try to calm the dogs (they would be howling like mad! The cats would be tripping me along the way, lol.) and cats in the house!! :LOL: Glad I made you smile!! That makes my day too!!! :)

i was sound asleep... and "boom!" i thought the FBI or CIA had kicked-in my door for posting copyrighted recipes on the web.:rolleyes:

the sad apart about this all is that the butternut squash was from an organic market... it was HUUUUUGE, and i'm sure it was super sweet (the first one i cooked was awesome).

i kept saying..."it's time to use that squash," but i kept putting it off and putting it off.

there you have it... the 1st recorded case of butternut squash suicide due to neglect from a want-to-be, part-time, bootleg chef. :LOL:

mudbug said:
but you've learned a valuable lesson, black chef - vegetables have feelings too.
feelings? i bet they LOVE the feeling of my always dull, cheap, part-time chef's knife chopping away.:devilish:

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Last edited:
Oh my, have you made any enemies lately?:LOL: How's your eggplant, they have been know to poke eyes out.

The NSPCS will be visiting you shortly. Squash abuse is no laughing matter.

I never would have imagined that would happen. Be happy you weren't standing right in front of it when it blew its brains out.

Your right andy and being co chair of the committe we have been looking at this person for 2 weeks now watching and waiting ....we got you now *insert evil laugh* we got you now!

Oh ew what a mess that must have been.
Now I feel bad. I'll go buy you another
one but I don't know if I can e-mail it
to you or not.

Will these hold you for awhile?:innocent: Man, if these went off, it would sound like a bomb.

Butternut.JPG

Back
Top Bottom