"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Additionally if the chicken {or any meat for that matter} is cooked on the bone you will get more flavor. The above methods will work very well with split breasts, whole chickens or cut up chickens.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
It sounds to me like part of your problem might simply be a case of underseasoning your food. I've taken a number of cooking classes and this is one of the first things they teach you. When salting food, for example, you are not only applying salt to season the surface area, but the underlying tissue as well. So if you have a thick cut, you need to season enough that it will penetrate deep into the meat.

Of course, brining solves this problem by carrying the flavor to the inside of the chicken. Brining has other advantages, such as helping to retain moisture and preventing over-cooking. But if you don't brine, make sure you liberally apply seasoning to your food or it will, as you say, have "no flavor or a bad flavor."
That's what I was thinking. Many people don't put enough seasonings.
OP, you can try adding MSG to the brine or sprinkle it on the meat as well. It has a very undeserved bad rap, and if you research, you'll find it's a safe additive unless you have a specific allergy to it. In the meantime, it makes the best flavor enhancer.

A lot of people have an issue with using higher heat as well. I think you can work over medium-high heat to sear the first side, flip, and transfer the pan to a hot oven to finish for great results. My chicken breasts always turn out flavorful and juicy, and I never brine them.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:38 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise

That's what I was thinking. Many people don't put enough seasonings.
OP, you can try adding MSG to the brine or sprinkle it on the meat as well. It has a very undeserved bad rap, and if you research, you'll find it's a safe additive unless you have a specific allergy to it. In the meantime, it makes the best flavor enhancer.
Goya Sauzon is wonderful with just about anything, MSG is an ingredient. Find it in the Mexican food section.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #14
Master Chef

Seasoning, seasoning, seasoning. As Emeril says: " I do not know where you get your chicken, but where i get mine it sdon't come seasoned!"
Old 01-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #15
Master Chef

I only buy Bell and Evans or organic chicken.

Had too many bad experiences with cheap Perdue birds ( can't believe as an IU grad I even bought something named Perdue!)

Try buying a smallish whole chicken and trying this recipe for Zuni CAfe roast chicken. It's very easy and quite fabulous. It uses a dry brining technique rather than soaking.

zuni cafe’s roasted chicken + bread salad | smitten kitchen
Old 01-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I only buy Bell and Evans or organic chicken.

Had too many bad experiences with cheap Perdue birds ( can't believe as an IU grad I even bought something named Perdue!)

Try buying a smallish whole chicken and trying this recipe for Zuni CAfe roast chicken. It's very easy and quite fabulous. It uses a dry brining technique rather than soaking.

zuni cafe’s roasted chicken + bread salad | smitten kitchen

After reading the reviews from this link, I will definitely try this.

Tags
chicken, other