"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-02-2011, 01:06 AM   #1
Senior Cook

My creation! Reuben inspired "bread pudding"

Technically what I made is not really bread pudding. Bread pudding needs to be very soft and mushy, and this is more like turkey stuffing - but with a reuben punch!

Ingredients:

1 round loaf of sauerdough bread
1 four-pound corned beef brisket
1 cup of drained sauerkraut
1 tsp caraway seed
2 cups chicken stock
1 can of beer
2 eggs
1 tbsp course mustard
1 onion chopped

First brown the corned beef on all sides in a cast iron skillet. Mix beer with mustard and pour into the skillet, covered the beef half way. cover and braise in oven (preheated to 220 degrees) for four hours.

When beef is done, chop it up and reserve the cooking liquid. Cut bread into 1 inch wide cubes, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle some Italian seasoning, and spread evenly on a baking dish. Toast in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.

Beat egg in a measuring cup, pour in the chicken stock, and several tbsp of the beef cooking liquid to make 3 cups of bread soaking liquid. Mix bread cubes with caraway seeds, onion, kraut, beef, and then the soaking liquid. Soak for at least one hour. Then spread mixture in a baking dish, cover with slices of swiss cheese, and bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

Man this thing tastes great! Can't wait to share the joy with others :)

Old 10-02-2011, 04:18 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

you had me at reuben...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:48 AM   #3
Master Chef

This is an interesting idea!

I think it would be a great addition to a St. Patrick's day morning after brunch buffet!

I'll give it a try, thanks for sharing this.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Almost like a hash except with bread in place of the potato.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

This sounds exceptional...Shrek is definitely interested.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
Head Chef

That's a great looking, very inventive, plate, hyperion! The fried egg nicely cuts through the rueben punch, I also think.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:24 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
That's a great looking, very inventive, plate, hyperion! The fried egg nicely cuts through the rueben punch, I also think.
yep, you kinda dip the bread pieces in the egg yoke and it eases down the taste a lot
I assume EB eggs are salmonella free lol
Old 10-03-2011, 09:00 AM   #8
Executive Chef

this is the most inspiring original and new dish that i've seen in a long while, hyperion! i love every ingredient, would never have thought to combine them as you have done--great job! do you have any other "originals" that you would care to share?:) this one will definitely be tried on an "ambitious day"--i have them every once in a while.... :)
Old 10-12-2011, 08:29 AM   #9
Senior Cook

WOW! thank you very much for sharing this, Hyperion. I am going shopping today and will get the ingredients for it.

always looking for interesting, new dishes to try out.

Looks so very tasty...beer+mustard in the broth, can't wait to try it! I drink nay alcohol anymore, but I know it burns off in the cooking. Do you use any special sorts of beer? I haven't imbibed for 23 years, and there are so many new beers on the market nowadays. Or do you try different ones? does the beer impart special flavour? or could I use a different liquid?
Old 10-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma View Post
WOW! thank you very much for sharing this, Hyperion. I am going shopping today and will get the ingredients for it.

always looking for interesting, new dishes to try out.

Looks so very tasty...beer+mustard in the broth, can't wait to try it! I drink nay alcohol anymore, but I know it burns off in the cooking. Do you use any special sorts of beer? I haven't imbibed for 23 years, and there are so many new beers on the market nowadays. Or do you try different ones? does the beer impart special flavour? or could I use a different liquid?
lol unless you are a beer guru it's hard to taste the difference once it's been cooked. I'd say just anything that tastes fine to you and cheap enough to pour it all away once the food is done (cooked beer doesn't taste good).