My Dream Food Job is....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
I know that a lot of our members are already in the food business. But for the rest of us, if you were able to work in the food industry what would your dream job be?

For me.... Stick me in the back room with a fifty pound bag of carrots, potatoes, celery, onions, cukes, etc. and let me loose doing prep work. Let me know what you will need for the day and it will be yours. I just seem to get a lot of satisfaction handling raw veggies. :angel:

The front of my shop would be a Used Book Store, where customers could purchase or just sit and read. For customers that sit and read I would hold the book they are reading for them. There would be lots of comfy chairs, a baked goods case and coffee/tea bar. The back of the shop would be my small bakery, I would be making small batches of whatever I felt at the moment. Some special orders could be made with enough notice. The baked goods, coffee and tea would be for sale. May even try a soup and salad for lunch type thing, too...on homemade bread of course.

Borders used to have a corner like that. And some Panera Bread stores encourage folks to sit and read while they eat. They also were one of the first to have free wii. It is a favorite place for college student to sit with their laptops and do their homework while eating. :angel:

I've done lots of food service jobs from cooking to managing. Would love to own a restaurant/herbal sactuary.
All the food and drinks must incorporate herbs from my gardens. Menu's must specify what ailments the dishes are good for etc.
I've been working on the recipes for years. One day!!!

P.S Addie, you can do the prep for me :)

Last edited:
Twice in my life, I've taken something that I was really passionate about as a hobby and turned it into a career. And twice I ended up hating it. The lesson I've learned from those experiences is that you have to leave some things in life just for fun. Cooking is one of those things for me. ;)

Restaurant critic.

No?

Rats!

ratatouille-food-critic.jpg

My dream job is to be the person who crushes all the bags of chips before putting them on the shelf!;)

My dream job is to be the person who crushes all the bags of chips before putting them on the shelf!;)

:LOL: That drives me nuts! I wonder sometimes if the packers do it on purpose because there job sucks!?

So you're one of those people that crushes chips :glare:
I poke holes in all the meat packages to sniff them for freshness :angel:

I wonder if food critics tip good? :angel:

Don't know. A number of them are always telling us to tip generously. If they're on an expense account, they probably do. Otherwise, they might figure admonishing the public to tip well gives them credit.

On reflection, I have decided I don't want to be the critic. I want to be the critic's friend. They take friends along, so they can order more dishes. But the friends just get to eat and don't have to write it all up later.

:LOL: That drives me nuts! I wonder sometimes if the packers do it on purpose because there job sucks!?

So you're one of those people that crushes chips :glare:
I poke holes in all the meat packages to sniff them for freshness :angel:

What really drives me nuts is the teenage baggers that think it is perfectly fine to put bread/eggs etc. in the same bag as the heavy bottles and cans. This usually involves their lack of attention because they are more interested in talking to the cute teenage cashier than doing the job they get paid for. It doesn't seem to make a difference whether the cashier is female and the bagger male or vis versa.

What really drives me nuts is the teenage baggers that think it is perfectly fine to put bread/eggs etc. in the same bag as the heavy bottles and cans. This usually involves their lack of attention because they are more interested in talking to the cute teenage cashier than doing the job they get paid for. It doesn't seem to make a difference whether the cashier is female and the bagger male or vis versa.

You have to believe there was some training on how to bag. That they still do it wrong tells you how they feel about their job.

In the "Sad but True Department" SO directs the packing of our groceries. She handed an insulated freezer bag to a bagger telling him to put the perishables in the freezer bag. He started bagging and she stopped him because he was leaving perishables out of the freezer bag. When she scolded him he replied, "What are perishables?". Ouch!

You have to believe there was some training on how to bag. That they still do it wrong tells you how they feel about their job.

So, the managers keep telling me.:( Brain dead is not a state to live life in. Don't get me started on the ability of cashiers to make change without the machine doing it for them.:wacko: Really makes me wonder about "School Zones". I get them for elementry school kids. I'm on the fence about middle school/jr. high. If they don't get it by high school, come on, thats just population control!

I'd want to own a little comfortable cafe with outdoor patio dining out front. Inside would have sunroom dining with healthy plants and artsy water fountain...with a cuisine that was heart healthy, color saturated, unprocessed, nutrient-dense, and using locally grown fresh super foods whenever possible. Creative and flavorful with a focus on health. And local artwork on the walls inside. And a little stage for a talented local student musician to play soft guitar or flute or violin etc...on occasion.

Last edited:
You would have been run out of our pharmacy for that It drove my DH nuts when parents turned their kids loose on the goodie rack to see how fast they turned everything into dust!!!:LOL:
kades

I'd want to own a little comfortable cafe with outdoor patio dining out front. Inside would have sunroom dining with healthy plants and artsy water fountain...with a cuisine that was heart healthy, color saturated, unprocessed, nutrient-dense, and using locally grown fresh super foods whenever possible. Creative and flavorful with a focus on health. And local artwork on the walls inside. And a little stage for a talented local student musician to play soft guitar or flute or violin etc...on occasion.

I want my place to be next door to MollyAnne's place...:D

I would have to say driving an ice cream truck! Hey, that could be a good job to do after I retire! :D

That drives me crazy!!! I even keep my eggs, bread, crisps etc for last so I can pack it myself.
It also drives me nuts when they pack raw chicken and meats with dry products and I get home to find blood on cooked items.
It takes me hours to do my monthly shop now. I pack the items I buy in order of packing preference :angel:
This still doesn't always help!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom