"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-25-2011, 04:52 PM   #31
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I have a full apron in black, it says, "Come to the Darkside, we have cookies!"
My daughter has that apron!

I OTOH have 3, white cotton patient exam gowns from the 60's. I rescued them from a medical practice that was closing, almost 20 years ago. They cover everything and are infinitely bleachable and seemingly indestructible. I wear those if I am going to be cooking "all day". To whip up dinner, I usually just pull an old (already ruined) shirt over what I am wearing. At Christmas, I get out my grandmother's vintage Christmas hostess aprons, but only for display.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:05 PM   #32
Assistant Cook

The aprons of today are mostly useless in my mind so I make my own. I like the kind that wrap around a person. That prevents the stains that come from wiping hands on your sides.
Grandma Rose

Old 02-25-2011, 10:48 PM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma Rose View Post
The aprons of today are mostly useless in my mind so I make my own. I like the kind that wrap around a person. That prevents the stains that come from wiping hands on your sides.
Grandma Rose
Hello, Grandma Rose. I have a terrible habit of wiping my hands on my backsides. A full-wrap apron might help, I suppose, but I also don't want a pair of tomato-stained handprints back there. Any design solutions?
Old 02-25-2011, 11:27 PM   #34
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
I'm too lazy to put the apron on most of the time....the only one I have I bought because it has cats on it. And I only bought it because we had found this cat-shaped wall-hook and I wanted something to hang on it.

We...uh....we like cats.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:32 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

I work from home...most of my clothes are "dog clothes" because I share my life with three drooly, hairy Saint Bernards. To get the drool off my black jeans, I have to wash them twice and add white vinegar to the rinse each time. Getting tomato stains (or pomagrante stains) out of clothes is a lot easier than getting "drool shadows" out of black jeans! (Says she who dresses in the back entrance when she has to go meet clients--with the dogs behind the baby gate on the other side).
Old 02-26-2011, 12:56 AM   #36
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I have multiple white aprons fromwhen I worked in the bakery, they actually get worn for everyday cooking. My "Darkside," "Chef Pigs" and "Coffee" aprons are fpor after everything is cooked...in other words, I liked them so I bought them.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:15 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I work from home...most of my clothes are "dog clothes" because I share my life with three drooly, hairy Saint Bernards. To get the drool off my black jeans, I have to wash them twice and add white vinegar to the rinse each time. Getting tomato stains (or pomagrante stains) out of clothes is a lot easier than getting "drool shadows" out of black jeans! (Says she who dresses in the back entrance when she has to go meet clients--with the dogs behind the baby gate on the other side).
Oh my! Three Saint Bernards! I lived with one very sweet Saint Bernard for about two months and that was quite the experience. When he shook his head it sounded like a flock of pigeons taking off and he would hit opposite walls with slobber. At least he didn't pull on the leash when I took him for a walk. The huskies thought it was hilarious to pull on the leash if I had my arms full of groceries.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:32 AM   #38
Head Chef

I know this is the apron thread but the mention of the St. Bernards reminded me of a long forgotten menory. Growing up the pastor of my church owned a pair of them. The female gave birth to a litter of 14! (they said it was some kind of record).They had quite a pack of animals running around their relatively small ranch style house for a time but oh my, what fun!
Old 02-28-2011, 04:19 AM   #39
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarchibald View Post
... the only one I have I bought because it has cats on it. And I only bought it because we had found this cat-shaped wall-hook and I wanted something to hang on it.
^^

Wasn't there a DC Travelling Apron that was making the rounds a few years ago?

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:48 PM   #40
Assistant Cook

In reply to Spork about apron design. Mine is very close to the apron that has been shown by Beth. I made my own pattern to fit my needs but it is not reversable. Grandma Rose