My first ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
I thought it would be fun to have a thread where we tell each other about a new recipe or type of food that we've tried. Successes, failures and critiques welcome! ;) I'll start.

I like to make baked seasoned pita wedges for dipping into tzatziki and have been wanting to make my own pita bread. So yesterday, I finally did it. They came out a little puffy around the edges but they're very tasty. I made the dough in my bread machine according to the directions that came with it and then stretched them by hand. Next time, I should probably roll them out with my pizza roller :idea: Comments?

Attachments

• 2014-05-17 16.59.09.jpg
    2014-05-17 16.59.09.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 213
I'm going to make a flour-less chocolate cake for the Bake-Off at work on Tuesday. I still have to pick a recipe.

Anybody have a resource...just flour-less, NOT gluten-free.

Last edited:
Puff pastry
strudel dough
phyllo dough
macaroons
Pickled herring
gravlox

Those are on my bucket list. I can't think of anything else at the moment...

I just tried sun chokes for the first time 2 nights ago. They were very good. I first sliced, the boiled them until they were nearly cooked through, then saute'd in veggie oil until lightly browned. I tried some raw too. I like the texture and flavor raw. It would be great mixed into a salad, or pickled. I also enjoyed the cooked version. It was sweet, a little nutty, and with a flavor that was mildly sweet, a little like turnip, or rutabaga, but milder. DW liked them two. Of course we dressed them with a little butter. I understand that they are a great potato substitute, especially for diabetics, as the glycemic load is very low. Sounds good to me.:chef:

Looks like I'm going to be planting some in my garden, as they like my northern climate.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I thought it would be fun to have a thread where we tell each other about a new recipe or type of food that we've tried. Successes, failures and critiques welcome! ;) I'll start.

I like to make baked seasoned pita wedges for dipping into tzatziki and have been wanting to make my own pita bread. So yesterday, I finally did it. They came out a little puffy around the edges but they're very tasty. I made the dough in my bread machine according to the directions that came with it and then stretched them by hand. Next time, I should probably roll them out with my pizza roller :idea: Comments?

If you have the pasta roller for the KA next time run them through that. :angel:

The homemade pitas I've had, and the ones from the Lebanese bakery, are not as thin as the ones you get in the grocery store. They look like GC's (and that's how I make mine as well). I roll mine out with a rolling pin...

I wish I could taste one (actually feel one :)). Most of the pita I buy is too thin and not puffy enough. What I like, and what's been served to me in good Greek restaurants, is puffier and much softer and substantial than the stuff I buy---- no matter how fresh it is.

Yours looks more like I would like.

I'm going to make a flour-less chocolate cake for the Bake-Off at work on Tuesday. I still have to pick a recipe.

Anybody have a resource...just flour-less, NOT gluten-free.

https://food52.com/recipes/26167-al...-cake-with-meyer-lemon-whipped-cream#comments

this chocolate cake has to be tasted to be believed--crazy sick impossible good!
cocoa powder can be subbed for the one tablespoon flour called for in the recipe. i used baker's unsweetened, and it worked fine.

Last edited:
Thanks, Vit...looks great!

I like the idea of ganache and caramel on top. I'd like to make it a turtle cake, but so many people are allergic to nuts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom