My first try with transglutaminase (aka "meat glue")!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the bacon wrapped filet--what if you partially cooked the bacon before putting it on the filet? I wonder if the meat glue would work with partially cooked bacon to beef?
Supposedly, it should work, protein to protein.
Inquiring minds want to know!

I wonder how it would work for those people that use bacon weaved together to hold a roll of meat around more ingredients and then smoke it?
Picture it here:

In the bacon wrapped filet--what if you partially cooked the bacon before putting it on the filet? I wonder if the meat glue would work with partially cooked bacon to beef?
Supposedly, it should work, protein to protein.
Inquiring minds want to know!

I wonder how it would work for those people that use bacon weaved together to hold a roll of meat around more ingredients and then smoke it?

Yes but when you cook your bacon it will become coated with fat. Fat is not protein. I don't see how this "miracle" product can glue fat to protein.

Weaving bacon around a roll of meat is a great smoking idea, but it does not rely on the bacon adhering to the enclosed meat, and the cooking process is slow and gentle, not disturbing the meat-bacon interface too much. It's more like making a bacon basket to enclose your treat.

Yes but when you cook your bacon it will become coated with fat. Fat is not protein. I don't see how this "miracle" product can glue fat to protein.

You are probably right--the bacon would have to have some protein in it on the surface to be glued.

Transglutaminased Chicken

I know this forum's a bit old, but I just tried meat glue this weekend and got surprisingly good results. I attempted a recipe from Thomas Keller's Under Pressure where created a layered chicken dish.

Starts with deboning chicken legs and filling them with a chicken mousse to create a sort of chicken on chicken on chicken sandwich. All held together with transglutaminase. Worked fairly well.

Chestnut Stuffed Chicken.jpg

Chestnut Stuffed Chicken

It was actually really tasty. I was worried about the bonds holding, especially since the Chicken mousse was really wet. But 6 hours in the fridge firmed it up and then I cooked it sous vide for a couple hours. Even after removing it and searing it, the entire package never felt like it was moving or slipping. It was really impressive.

Here are pics of the mousse and the chicken as I was sifting the glue.

CHicken-Chestnut-3.jpg

chicken-Chestnut-5.jpg

Where do you this transglutimase? I just checked Amazon and I can get a 2.2# (1 Kg) bag for $103.96. Uh, yeah, that sounds like enough to glue a couple hundred cows together... Actually that sounds sort'a fun! ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom