"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-29-2008, 12:31 AM   #91
Senior Cook

Me and fish do NOT get alone, talapia is fine because it's very forgiving. It always comes out well, but cod, or tuna, or salmon- forget it. I never season it right, or it's near raw in the middle and charred on the outside.

Homemade french fries. Either too soggy and oily or rock hard in the middle. I've tried deep frying, AND baking..nothing

the last is anything breaded. My breading for pork chops, egg plant parmesean etc. always cooks off into the pan when I make it. I dunk everything in eggs and milk then the breading of flour or bread crumbs and no matter what, I end up with an ugly, unbreaded product and lots of crumbs in the bottom of my pan....

Old 10-29-2008, 08:41 AM   #92
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snack_pack85 View Post
it's near raw in the middle and charred on the outside.
Sounds like you have the heat way too high. Try a much lower heat setting.

Quote:
Homemade french fries. Either too soggy and oily or rock hard in the middle. I've tried deep frying, AND baking..nothing
When you fry then do you use the double fry method? This is where you fry them first at a lower temp. This is to cook the potato on the inside. Then you drain them and bring the oil temp up higher and fry them a second time to crisp up the outside.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:52 AM   #93
Executive Chef

Quote:
anything breaded. My breading for pork chops, egg plant parmesean etc. always cooks off into the pan when I make it. I dunk everything in eggs and milk then the breading of flour or bread crumbs and no matter what, I end up with an ugly, unbreaded product and lots of crumbs in the bottom of my pan....
Do you dredge the item being fried in flour first, then egg wash, then the final breading product (cracker crumbs, flour, cornmeal, panko, a mix of any of these, etc.)?

I fry on a regular basis at work, and rarely have a problem with my breading coming off.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:19 AM   #94
Sous Chef

Pork chops (except for my yummy herbed pork chops). But I usually burn the outside. I let DH cook the pork chops.

I can't think of anything else that gives me trouble at the moment, but I know there are other things.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:37 AM   #95
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'sgirl View Post
Pork chops (except for my yummy herbed pork chops). But I usually burn the outside. I let DH cook the pork chops.

I can't think of anything else that gives me trouble at the moment, but I know there are other things.
For extra thick chops: If you're just cooking them in a pan, once the outside get's a little color on it add a little chicken broth and cover it over medium heat. This adds moisture to the longer cook time so you don't burn or dry out the chops.

I remove pork when it just feels firm with the poke test, cover with foil and let rest, and wind up with juicy chops.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:09 PM   #96
Sous Chef

pumpernickel bread it is always way to dense
Old 10-29-2008, 12:24 PM   #97
Master Chef

1. Boiling water! I always get impatient and walk away and come back to find it boiled all over the stove.

2. Making toast, I always burn it. I desperately need a new toaster. The dial for setting it darker and lighter is broken.

3. Making gravy from those little instant packages. I use those on a whim once in a while and can never get the stuff to mix right. It always comes out lumpy and runny.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:14 PM   #98
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
For extra thick chops: If you're just cooking them in a pan, once the outside get's a little color on it add a little chicken broth and cover it over medium heat. This adds moisture to the longer cook time so you don't burn or dry out the chops.

I remove pork when it just feels firm with the poke test, cover with foil and let rest, and wind up with juicy chops.
Thanks! That helps a lot!

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:43 PM   #99
Senior Cook

1.) Pan-seared or pan-roasted anything. It always sticks or smokes too much. Unfortunately, I can't use the heat I should because of my awfully subpar exhaust fan, and so I've largely given up on this endeavor until I procure a grill and can do it outside on the grill's extra burner with a cast iron pan.

2.) Maki Sushi. Always tastes fine but looks like hell, and I'm using a GOOD SHARP Global sushi knife with the requisite single-sided edge. Not sure why I suck at this so much, but I undeniably suck. The rolling kills me. I also wuss out and make my nigiri and Musubi with a mold. I know, I'm a pansy.

3.) Stir Fry. I just can't get it to taste the way I want it to taste. It probably doesn't help that I don't own a wok, I probably have the heat too low, and I'm adhoc-ing many of the ingredients, but I can't even get it CLOSE. Chinese cooking is my "next big thing" I want to get good at, but so far I'm falling on my face with it.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:45 PM   #100
Cook

1. Pasta...Not a real problem but I hate to cook it. I have no idea why but I catch myself avoiding recipes with pasta just because I hate to cook it.

2. Macaroni Salad... Mine never tastes as good as others.

3. Yeast Breads/Pie Dough...I think I work the dough too much so I stick to crumb crusts and quick breads.

For a moist chicken or turkey try baking it with the breast down. I will flip the bird over for the last 15-20 minutes and baste with pan drippings and up the temp to 375-400 This gives a nice brown skin that is not dried out.