Name 3 things you have trouble cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am confused again...

Is this a "list three things" or is it a request for help and suggestions? Seems to be a bit of both.

Someone mentioned reducing pan juices with wine. Don't worry about it not tasting any good. IMO using wine like that makes the food "posher" not better! Unless the recipe is specifically a wine sauce recipe, then you are better off using a basic chicken or veal stock for your deglazing and reduction.

This chicken has really got me thinking. The biggest bird I have ever seen that I remember is a size 20 (2 kilo) or if you like 4 1/2 pounds. You are talking a bird about 50% bigger than that...free range!

Sorry, but I cannot believe that. Sure it might happen as a random freak of nature...But to get a bird that large regular enough to sell, must be force fed or steroid or something..not free range!

:chef:

I routinely get chickens that are 8lbs +. I think the biggest chicken I've ever had was a 13lber. Now THAT was a chicken! Oh, and these are farm chickens, not those wimpy things from the grocery store.

OK, my three things would be:

1) cream puffs (still haven't got it mudbug) they always turn out like hockey pucks
2) picky appys (haven't got the patience)
3) freaking cream puffs!!

Yeah...yeah...

Our chooks might only average 3 pounds...But they can drink a ute load of beer on any given Sunday arvo! And still be sober enough to peck ya dunny door down!

:LOL:

What EVER. I'll take a picture of the next batch I bring in...(just roasted the last one last Sunday).

And come on...peck down the dunny door? I'd personally be a bit freaked if a chicken came a knocking while I was trying to do my business!

Yeah...yeah...

Our chooks might only average 3 pounds...But they can drink a ute load of beer on any given Sunday arvo! And still be sober enough to peck ya dunny door down!

:LOL:

That may be but do they pluck their own feathers and hop into the hot oven for you?

gives a whole new meaning to the term pecker, eh?

(i apologize in advance, couldn't resist. zucchini and all put me over the top)

Aaaand now I need to get a fresh glass of wine cuz most of this one is up my nose. Thanks for the giggles BT.

Pie crust! I can't make it round without it breaking and giving me horrible edges. Although my pies taste good, they look ugly all the time.

Me too. I am just resigned to the fact that I can only make "rustic" looking pies.:LOL: I sometime brush the top with egg white wash and sprinkle with raw sugar. That helps with the appearance. I found a great recipe for a Candied Pecan topping that is awesome and hides imperfections well.

Me too. I am just resigned to the fact that I can only make "rustic" looking pies.:LOL: I sometime brush the top with egg white wash and sprinkle with raw sugar. That helps with the appearance. I found a great recipe for a Candied Pecan topping that is awesome and hides imperfections well.

Do you guys start rolling after you shape your dough into a disc? And roll only from the inside out? That works for me. (got an apple pie in the oven right now as a matter of fact.)

The words...

I hope your chooks turn into emus

In the bar there were two blokes arguin',
And I reckoned any minute now their fists would start to swing.
The tall one wagged his finger and said a vulgar word,
And shorty he had hit it and this masterpiece I heard.

And peck your dunny down.
Peck your dunny down.
Really go to town.
I hope your chooks turn into emus.
Yes, I do, I really do.
And when they've pecked your dunny down,
I hope they peck on you.

The bartender came over and said, 'Hey, shorty, what's all this fuss about?
You're getting to obstropolis, I'll have to put yous out.'
The tall bloke's eyes were brimmin'
And his face was fiery red.
'He reckons he's me cobber! Did you hear what he just said ? '

Peck your dunny down.
Really go to town.
Yes, I do, I really do.
I hope they peck on you.

I finished off me schooner and walked right out the door.
I'd watched a strong man cry and couldn't stand it anymore.
But still the memory lingers through the hubub and the beers.
Those famous words of shorty's that re-echoed in my ears.

Peck your dunny down.
Really go to town.
Yes, I do, I really do.
I hope they peck on,
Hope they peck on,
Hope they peck on you.

Yes...It's a real song! :LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Do you guys start rolling after you shape your dough into a disc? And roll only from the inside out? That works for me. (got an apple pie in the oven right now as a matter of fact.)

Yep, I just lack the skill I guess.

Tortillas for those that have trouble.

After using about 3# of flour, I have got Tortillas nailed. At least I think so. Try this.

I think you will like it.

AC

KissTC - From the short time that I have been here, it seems that most here want to help. I think the original question WAS what do you have trouble making. Being the food people that DC'ers are they / we / I try to help. I kind of like it.

AC

Rice - I just never manage to get it right especially brown rice
Reducing Pan sauce with wine - usually a disaster sometimes edible never really good
Custard - Always have a hard time gettinig it to set right

Do you wash your rice before you cook it? Dumping off a lot of that starch that coats the outside helps a lot.

Dina - I am with you on the pie crust. I finally gave up and use a tart pan. You can patch the pie pastry together if you need to and nobody is the wiser. And tarts are prettier anyway.

JP - I can't seem to get the biscuits right, either. They turn out like hockey pucks. And my sweet husband never fails to tell me how good his mother's biscuits were. When he told me (while eating my flat pancakes) that his mother's were a half inch thick, he never got another pancake from me.

Like alot of you, I struggle with rice. Part of the problem is getting my gas range low enough without the flame going out...I always have ceiling fans going, so if I remember to turn them off while I cook the rice, it turns out better. But then, I am sweating.....

Yeah...right...if you say so...!

A baby chicken...by the way... is a spatchcock.!!

I don't know what one would call a 5 to 6 pound (2.5 kilo) chicken...Maybe one would call it an emu, big turkey, or ostrich.

Black Chef, if you can find a free range 2.5 kilo chicken then go for the above!!!...Cos I aint never seen nor heard of such a bird...!!!

Oh... and PS...Herbalife has enough customers...So if you do happen to find such a bird, go with a more realistic 200 grams (about 1/2 pound) per serve which would give 12 to 15 serves based on above...Not the 4 to 6 as stated!

Or, of course, you could just go with spatchcock, which is baby chicken.

;);):chef::chef:;);)

To the best of my knowledge spatchcock chicken is NOT a baby chicken but the method in which it is cut i.e., backbone removed and layed out flat - you can certainly use a young chicken but that term denotes the way it is cut, not the age...at least around here. Just like our green onions are your shallots - it may just be a regional difference. A 5 - 6 lb. chicken is certainly not abnormal. And June's recipe is spot on!!!!

Alix, my friend, again, you are not going to believe this but it is TRUE - I make fabulous cream puffs!!!!! I just taught a co-worker to make the choux pastry to stuff with chicken salad. I'll talk you through that if you talk me through.........well............everything else about baking! LOL And my specialty IS fussy little appys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We could definitely fill in the gaps for each other!

My 3 things are:

1. Baking - ANYTHING! x 3

Yep Alix. I've tried your crust recipe many times, shape into a disk, roll from the inside out, then it starts to crack on the edges...argh! You just come over and work your expertise in my kitchen dear.

To the best of my knowledge spatchcock chicken is NOT a baby chicken but the method in which it is cut i.e., backbone removed and layed out flat - you can certainly use a young chicken but that term denotes the way it is cut, not the age...at least around here. Just like our green onions are your shallots - it may just be a regional difference. A 5 - 6 lb. chicken is certainly not abnormal. And June's recipe is spot on!!!!

Alix, my friend, again, you are not going to believe this but it is TRUE - I make fabulous cream puffs!!!!! I just taught a co-worker to make the choux pastry to stuff with chicken salad. I'll talk you through that if you talk me through.........well............everything else about baking! LOL And my specialty IS fussy little appys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We could definitely fill in the gaps for each other!

My 3 things are:

1. Baking - ANYTHING! x 3

well I'll be barked at...I make a mean cream puff too:ROFLMAO: the rest of it is take your chances..I'm lousy at beef stew, soups, except my french onion and clam chowder...baking heck I'm the worlds best at hockey pucks:LOL::ROFLMAO: kadesma

1. I have the same trouble with pie crusts.

2. I am too impatient and tend to turn meat and other foods too soon.

3. Not a specific food, but I sometimes (ok, a lot of times!) have trouble coordinating my foods so that everything is ready to serve at the same time. I have gotten a lot better, but it is still a problem sometimes.

:)Barbara

Back
Top Bottom