"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-29-2011, 10:35 PM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
We should be thankful we have so many choices to choose from!
I agree. I grew up when grocery shopping meant walking a couple blocks to a store. My pocket with mom's cash. My head with a list. Nervous about all the math. Unaware that I might have the added difficult decision about "brands" and economics. That was then. No sense pining for when bread/tofu was a simple thing for me. Today, most of us have no choice but to make a choice. I too wish my life and kitchen was more simple. hmm... it'd help if that store brand pasta sauce was in a glass jar versus a can....

Old 10-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I was in the grocery store today and had to buy store brand Italian sausage because the name brand had MSG added. You would think that it would be the other way around! And the name brand was on sale, so I ended up paying more for the store brand. Since my SO is sensitive to MSG, I have to shop carefully.
I have used this store brand sausage before and it is quite good.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef
I was in the grocery store today and had to buy store brand Italian sausage because the name brand had MSG added. You would think that it would be the other way around! And the name brand was on sale, so I ended up paying more for the store brand. Since my SO is sensitive to MSG, I have to shop carefully.
I have used this store brand sausage before and it is quite good.
We get the store brand Italian sausage too, it's leaner, fresher, has fewer preservatives, and tastes better than the brand names available here.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:59 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Since my SO is sensitive to MSG, I have to shop carefully..
I'm that way also, bakechef. Once in awhile, I'll get a meal that has the stuff in it in what must be larger quantities, and it makes me dizzy as hell and gives me a panic attack and heart attack type symptoms. I hate it when that happens. Thank goodness it only happens once every couple of years.

The last was Chinese takeout. I told them when ordering, not to use it. I asked when I picked it up and they told me they didn't put it in the food.

It was loaded with it. I had an attack 10 minutes after eating it.

I spoke to the owner and let him know I wouldn't be back and would "spread the word" about his business practices.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

Re:

I grew up around women who had studied "Home Economics" (anyone remember that)

I was also taught much of what I know by them. I first became an efficient cook
and learned to do so much with so little I thought I could do anything with practically nothing at all. LOL

Then later I was taken camping and began learning from Dad and Grandad and was shocked by their "cavalier" attitudes with the resources at hand. In time I began to lean about having a "flair" for cooking in the sense of a creative artist.

So I'm kind of the same way when shopping the large Super Store Grocery Markets. I'll examine the store container and and notice where it was made and find
other Name Brands using the same shape of container, see where it was made, and look closely at those coding numbers on the container to see how similar they are.
Packaging often betrays the fact that a Name Brand producer also runs the product for Store Branded products.

Recently I noticed at a Kroger store the Dukes Mayo was the same as the Kroger Store Brand. And I had noticed a Dawn Dish Washing Liquid with "Oil of Olay" in it (for a big price) has a very similar product at the Dollar Tree stores where the bottle contains shay butter vitamin e etc and the bottle is the mirror image of the Dawn bottle. The cap is the same etc. The label layout very similar even containing
some of the same text. But it's about 5 more ounces for $2 dollars less. Granted it
may not be exactly as good.

Yes, I notice these things too. I'm always looking for knock off recipes for seasonings and the like where I can just about buy all the ingredients for what that bottle cost...and have enough to fill several more bottles of it.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:47 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Jsaan View Post
I grew up around women who had studied "Home Economics" (anyone remember that)

I was also taught much of what I know by them. I first became an efficient cook
and learned to do so much with so little I thought I could do anything with practically nothing at all. LOL

Then later I was taken camping and began learning from Dad and Grandad and was shocked by their "cavalier" attitudes with the resources at hand. In time I began to lean about having a "flair" for cooking in the sense of a creative artist.

So I'm kind of the same way when shopping the large Super Store Grocery Markets. I'll examine the store container and and notice where it was made and find
other Name Brands using the same shape of container, see where it was made, and look closely at those coding numbers on the container to see how similar they are.
Packaging often betrays the fact that a Name Brand producer also runs the product for Store Branded products.

Recently I noticed at a Kroger store the Dukes Mayo was the same as the Kroger Store Brand. And I had noticed a Dawn Dish Washing Liquid with "Oil of Olay" in it (for a big price) has a very similar product at the Dollar Tree stores where the bottle contains shay butter vitamin e etc and the bottle is the mirror image of the Dawn bottle. The cap is the same etc. The label layout very similar even containing
some of the same text. But it's about 5 more ounces for $2 dollars less. Granted it
may not be exactly as good.

Yes, I notice these things too. I'm always looking for knock off recipes for seasonings and the like where I can just about buy all the ingredients for what that bottle cost...and have enough to fill several more bottles of it.
Oh my goodness, I thought that I was the only one to do that, LOL. I have found that the off brand of the laundry detergent that I buy is the same product in two stores, the containers and text on the labels are the same, with only the graphic designs being different, I keep an eye on which store has the best sale price and I get laundry detergent dirt cheap.

I'm always comparing ingredient labels and container shapes on name brand and store brand items. Very often if the ingredients are the same and in the same order, they are the same product with different labels and different prices.

With that said, many store brand items are made by companies that make nothing but private label products, usually processed foods, but for the basics like canned tomatoes and veg, flour, sugar etc.. are usually produced by the big name brands as there isn't usually a proprietary "recipe" involved.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #37
Head Chef

I've found some of the store brands to be quite good, others errrr not so much. I do like the Safeway Select grapefruit soda, but the cola doesn't cut it. The Safeway southwestern salsa in the refrigerated section is pretty darn good too for a store brand.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:30 PM   #38
Assistant Cook

Re:

This may make an interesting ongoing thread. Where members post what they have found as off brands that are nearly the same as the name brand.