"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 11-18-2006, 12:01 PM   #11
Executive Chef
generally speaking, name brands are grade A produce, and store brands are grade B ...smaller, perhaps more broken whatever... sometimes this makes a difference in what I'm cooking, often it doesn't.

Other times the differnece is in the packing juices...I want tomatoes canned with basil not sugar for most recipes I'm making so I have to read the ingredients.

Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 02:05 PM   #12
Master Chef
The only brand name we absolutely have to buy is "Heinz" catsup. This family will not use anything else. Once they gave my brother-in-law a whole case for Christmas as a joke. He said that it was the best gift he ever had.

Don't let yesterday take up too much of today. Will
JoAnn L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 03:07 PM   #13
Head Chef
I don't buy store brand pasta/noodles--I have never found any that didn't cook up gummy.

I don't buy any canned veggies, so can't comment on those, but I do buy store brand flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, powdered and canned milk, and can't tell any difference from name brands.
I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 06:54 AM   #14
Master Chef
I have moved around a lot, and I tend to buy the generic store brand once. If it is great (Publix whole green beans are great, we've been known to buy a case of them and bring them back when we visit the south), great. If it is bad (for example, green beans that are stringy or have too much of the vine left on them, other beans that are mushy, stuff that is to salty), then I just don't buy them again. But I'm a child of my parents: I try the cheapest option first. When it doesn't work, I just don't do it again. We aren't buying diamonds here. When I was a kid in the military, we used to have what we called "GI Brand" food. It was cans that the label had been torn off and sold to the commissary at cut-rate prices. Sometimes it was a winner (the time Mom got tiny, then expensive, LaSoeur peas for next to nothing), and sometimes a loser (the time she picked up a case of frozen fried chicken cutlets that tasted so bad ... we still ate them. Mom finally hit on grinding them through a meat grinder, adding miracle whip, pickles, and onions and making chicken salad sandwiches. Nothing went to waste in those days.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 06:58 AM   #15
Master Chef
I, too, am an advocate of name brand pasta. When you live in the south, Creamettes seem to hold up best. Otherwise I like Barilla. To be honest with you, there isn't that much difference between brands when cooking them up the first time. But with it just being the two of us, I tend to make a ton of pasta then eat it leftover a lot. Barilla seems to hold up best to reheating. I haven't had luck with store brands of pasta. But Mom just sent Hubby a new pasta machine, so there is more home-made in my future! Once upon a time we never bought store brand, but our pasta machines either died or were failures in recent years. I'm happy we're back on the home-made track!
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:53 AM   #16
Assistant Cook
When talking pasta as Claire is, I DO buy deCecco lasagna noodles--nice and thin. BUT when we were lucky enough to have a Hannaford's for a short time, their store brand lasagna was as good or better!! Just a word for you New Englanders!!
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:19 AM   #17
Master Chef
It depends on what I'm buying, and whether it's a store brand or some generic off brand. Someone mentioned spaghetti sauce...I tried an inexpensive generic brand (Three Sisters) just once, and it was terrible. I've bought generic green beans that had stems and pieces with bug bites on them...definately the scraps swept up off the floor.
On the other hand, some of the store brands and lesser known brands are just as good as the famous ones. You just have to experiment and find the ones you like. Allen's and Libby vegetables are quite good. Best Choice and Kroger brands are right up there with the best.
But Bush's really does have the best Chili Beans and baked beans. I always buy Brook's catsup for the table, while the store brand is fine for making BBQ sauce. Generic pasta is fine for slumgullion, but I use Barilla for pasta that is lightly dressed.
Flour is flour, and sugar is sugar...so I buy the cheap brands.
Packaged lunchmeats and sausages are one place I don't experiment much. On the other hand, a Hyde Park turkey is just as good as a Butterball, IMO.

What it comes down to, is that I save where I can without sacrificing flavor and nutrition.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 12:05 PM   #18
Head Chef
Like everyone else on here; I will buy the store brand unless I have tried it before and found it too lacking. There are a few things (mayo is one) that I only buy brand-name as the others just weren't anywhere near as good.
Polly aka Shunka....the Def Leppard crazy in AZ!!
Shunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 12:06 PM   #19
Master Chef
Well... I must be a bottom dweller!!! I will buy off brands as opposed to name brands. Heck, try it, if you don't like it, then never buy it again. I tried a store brand of garlic toast... boy that was nasty!!!!

I don't mind stooping to save a dollar.
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 12:52 PM   #20
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to college_cook
It depends on what I'm buying. For 95% of things, I'll get the store brand not only is it cheaper, but I still have my employee discount card from when I worked at Marsh and get an additional 10% off on Marsh brand items.

There are things that I, and I hink most people would be particular about. Olive oil, for example. I don't buy Marsh brand Olive oil. The cheapest Olive oil I usuakly get is Bertolli or another name brand I currently can't remember the name of. But for things like flour, sugar, canned items, it is as someone mentioned- the supermarket brands are produced, canned, and labeled in the same factories as the name brand product, generally speaking.

college_cook is offline   Reply With Quote