Nanaimo Bars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NBars101

Assistant Cook
Hi, I'm looking to find out why we use half-sweetened chocolate to make the top layer of nanaimo bars. Is it just because it would be too sweet otherwise?

Probably. The other layers are loaded with sugar. A little less on the top would provide a nice contrast. That's just the way it was created. I guess you could change the recipe but then you should also change the name.

I would say to add a contrast and a mix point. Immediate contrast and then the nice sensation of the chew/mix.

Sorry Andy, posted at the same time.

You're welcome, and welcome to the board. I hope you look around there is TONS of info and fun here.

I had to google the name. Never heard of them before but they sound easy to make. Thanks for introducing me to something new! I'll have to try my hand at these this weekend.

Nanaimo Bars? Hey they come from Vancouver Island, about 30 minutes from the camp I used to cook at. The "legend" is that a woman from Nanaimo entered her squares into a competition and when she got there she didn't have a name for them. The person registering her for the competition looked at her address and said how about Nanaimo bars. And the rest is history!

In my catering I make about 7 different flavours (including my signature cappucino and fresh raspberry varities) but the original is the TNT favourite.

The reason for the semi-sweet or bitter-sweet chocolate is two fold - as stated above it is a contrast to the sweetness of the filling, and also this chocolate, with a little grease (butter or shortening) added makes a nice hard topping that crunches went you bite into it.

I have seen other versions of this called New York Slice and Chocolate Custard Bars if that helps anyone! The former usually calls for instant vanilla pudding mix but the TNT Nanaimo uses custard powder (Birds-Eye to be exact).

NBars101 and Jabbur, I hope you enjoy them.

Back
Top Bottom