Nathans Famous Dogs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chile Chef

Sous Chef
Who here besides me hates Nathans hotdogs?

I don't like that at all, I'm not sure why I don't like them?

Maybe it's the size of the dog, Maybe it's the juiciness of the dog or I've gotten used to my hotdogs I get at the local supermarket.

I wouldn't say I hate them but I like another brand better.

Have you tried the different types of Nathan's hot dogs?

I don't hate Nathan's, and in fact they are my second favorite, but my first favorite is Ball Park Bun Length All Beef Franks. I think Nathan's uses spices that most others do not.

They do Arky. That's why I like them, that and they have the skin on. The long ones more than the large ones w/o skins...

If one is going to be steamed then it's Sabretts. They're also good with cole slaw on them.

We mostly buy Hebrew National, but I like pretty much any good-quality hot dog, including Nathan's.

In fact, I can think of only one "hot dog" I ever hated. I grew up in San Diego. Back then the tuna industry was HUGE (we even studied it in the 3rd grade and took a field trip to one of the factories on the harbor). Looking to expand their business, sometime in the late 50s or early 60s, one of the canneries (Chicken 'o the Sea, I think) began marketing "hot dogs" made from tuna, which they called Tunies! Yuck!

Oh, yeah, there was one other. About 20 years ago my secretary Vicky bought some really cheap hot dogs at some funky market near where she lived and brought them to work for lunch. I think they were called "Circus Brand" and cost something like 50¢ for a package of 8 or 10. They looked weird -- skinny, very pale -- and had an unappetizing odor. My other secretary and I were giving her a ration of you-know-what but Vicky wouldn't be deterred -- until her first bite revealed a fly in the mix.

So, if someone offers you a Nathan's hot dog, accept it cheerfully. It could be a whole lot worse!

when I buy for home I get from my butcher either Eskay Loose or Stolzfuss (an Amish local variety)

When I go out for a Hot Dog, we have Johnnies famous in West Chester that is awesome, and I had a great one in Ohio with a conie sauce that was perfect! (spicy vinegary meaty) Nathans seem bland to me and Ballpark plump when you cook em because of the high fat content.

Current version of Nathan's hot dogs bear little resemblance to the 5 cent frankfurters at Nathan's in the 1950's. Closest I know of now is Boar's Head (Brunkhorst's) all beef with natural casings which go for about $5 for a seven pack.

In fact, I can think of only one "hot dog" I ever hated. I grew up in San Diego. Back then the tuna industry was HUGE (we even studied it in the 3rd grade and took a field trip to one of the factories on the harbor). Looking to expand their business, sometime in the late 50s or early 60s, one of the canneries (Chicken 'o the Sea, I think) began marketing "hot dogs" made from tuna, which they called Tunies! Yuck!

Oh, yeah, there was one other. About 20 years ago my secretary Vicky bought some really cheap hot dogs at some funky market near where she lived and brought them to work for lunch. I think they were called "Circus Brand" and cost something like 50¢ for a package of 8 or 10. They looked weird -- skinny, very pale -- and had an unappetizing odor. My other secretary and I were giving her a ration of you-know-what but Vicky wouldn't be deterred -- until her first bite revealed a fly in the mix.

Tunies???:ROFLMAO: OMG Please NO!!

And now we know why they were 50cents. Added protein ain't cheap!:LOL:

Who here besides me hates Nathans hotdogs?

I don't like that at all, I'm not sure why I don't like them?

Maybe it's the size of the dog, Maybe it's the juiciness of the dog or I've gotten used to my hotdogs I get at the local supermarket.

derek, you don't hafta like 'em! :)

Hebrew National,love them with chili, plastered with Woody's bbq sauce, just plain on a roll with butter..OK any way you want to give em to me:LOL:
kadesma

Back
Top Bottom