Need a soup cracker recipe.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grandma Rose

Assistant Cook
I am looking for a cracker recipe. I would like to make my own crackers for soup. It would be nice to control what goes in to my food.
Grandma Rose:glare:

My Dear Josie. Thank-you so much. The recipes are just what I wanted. I can't wait to try some. I have also put that site on favs list.
Grandma Rose

Dear Josie. I tried the soda cracker recipe, it's great. Next time I am going to try some of the others. By the way love that site. Thanks again.
Grandma Rose

The cracker recipes are great! I copied and pasted several. I can't wait to make some of these. I think I will try the whole wheat ones first. Thanks for showing us this site Josie! :chef:

Haven't tried these yet but they're on my list:

Homemade Wheat Thins
King Arthur Whole Grain Baking Cookbook

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus extra for topping
1/4 teaspoon paprika
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup water (you might need to add a little more)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.

Add the flour, sugar, salt and paprika to a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Cut the butter into small pieces and add it to the bowl. Using a pastry blender, mix the butter into the dry ingredients thoroughly. Combine the water and vanilla in a small measuring cup or bowl. Add to the butter/flour mixture and mix until a smooth dough forms. If the dough is still dry, add a little more water.

Divide the dough into 4 pieces. Work with one piece at a time, keeping the others covered with a towel so they don’t dry out. Lightly flour your work surface and rolling pin and roll the dough into a large rectangle. Lift the dough and turn it as you roll to ensure it’s not sticking. You want to roll the dough as thin as possible, try to make sure it’s 1/16-inch thick at most. If you want all of your crackers to be perfect, trim the edges of the dough so you have a rectangle with even sides. Use a pizza cutter to cut the rectangle into squares about 1 to 1 1/2 inches wide.

Transfer the dough squares to the prepared baking sheets. You can place them close together because they will not spread. Sprinkle the squares lightly with salt. Repeat the rolling and cutting process with the remaining 3 pieces of dough. Save all of your scraps under the towel to keep the dough from drying out; reroll them all at once to create a final batch of crackers.

Bake the crackers, one sheet at a time, until crisp and browned, about 5-10 minutes. Check the crackers at 5 minutes, and if some of the thinner ones are browning too quickly, remove them from the oven. The crackers can burn quickly so you want to keep a close eye on them. Remove crackers from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Store the crackers in an airtight container.

Dear Josie. I tried the soda cracker recipe, it's great. Next time I am going to try some of the others. By the way love that site. Thanks again.
Grandma Rose

Were they crispy or crunchy or thick?

I love that site and would love to hear how some of the crackers turn out!

Kathleen,
The crackers were really great, crispy and tasty. Mine were thin but you could have whatever thickness you wanted, just roll them out as thin as you want. Grandma Rose

Grandma Rose and Lifesaver sorry It took me so long to get back to you.
I have been in the Hospital. I am glad you liked the web site. I have made the graham crackers and they turned out great. I too had rather make my own where I know what is in them. I use very little processed food.
Kathleen you will be suprised when you make them, Good luck with them.
They are easy.

Josie

Josie, Sorry hear about your trip to the hospital, hope all is well now. I am going to try the cheese ones as soon as I can get some cheese. I also found a great apple recipe on that site so thanks again.
Your friend Grandma Rose

Josie, Sorry hear about your trip to the hospital, hope all is well now. I am going to try the cheese ones as soon as I can get some cheese. I also found a great apple recipe on that site so thanks again.
Your friend Grandma Rose

Grandma Rose, I am doing better just a new heart problem. Thanks for asking. I too love that site. Hubby is diabetic and I make a lot of things that most people would just buy because I can control what goes in it. I am headed to the cracker board to check out the apple recipe.

Josie

Back
Top Bottom