"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-22-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,519
Need advice for cook ahead

I need some advise.

I usually wait to prep my turkey stuffing (NO eggs), veggies and mushroom stuffing till wednesday. BUT due to some issues that have come up I am wondering if I could do any or all of those today and save tomorrow for just doing the pies.

Thank you in advance.
__________________

__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,973
I, personally don't recommend making the entire stuffing/dressing ahead. That said, you can chop whatever vegetables and herbs you use ahead of time. Put them in baggies. I've made stock already and it is sitting in the freezer to be nuked Thursday morning.

And I can't say it often enough, delegate. I'm not a baker, so I designate a guest to "do" pie. If I loved to bake? I'd ask someone else to make the dressing (my favorite thing to make), or something else. I'm not shy about saying I'll host, I'll do the most expensive part, but then assigning others a dish to bring.
__________________

__________________
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
Go ahead and make your stuffing today. It'll keep just fine.

I ate up all my stuffing from the other day when I made my turkey, so I'm making another batch, just to have it on hand.

Gosh, I can hardly believe I'm giving advice to you, MSM!
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #4
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I, personally don't recommend making the entire stuffing/dressing ahead. That said, you can chop whatever vegetables and herbs you use ahead of time. Put them in baggies. I've made stock already and it is sitting in the freezer to be nuked Thursday morning.

And I can't say it often enough, delegate. I'm not a baker, so I designate a guest to "do" pie. If I loved to bake? I'd ask someone else to make the dressing (my favorite thing to make), or something else. I'm not shy about saying I'll host, I'll do the most expensive part, but then assigning others a dish to bring.
Thank you.

It is just my hub and 2 girls so they help some but I do most of the cooking.
__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,973
I'd be more inclined to do the pies a day ahead, then. They're safer to store and can be popped back in the oven as you put the dinner on the table.
__________________
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Go ahead and make your stuffing today. It'll keep just fine.

I ate up all my stuffing from the other day when I made my turkey, so I'm making another batch, just to have it on hand.

Gosh, I can hardly believe I'm giving advice to you, MSM!
Thank you Z.

YIKES I need advise often. I read LOTS of the threads and learn something new ALL the time so I don't usually need to ask.
__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I'd be more inclined to do the pies a day ahead, then. They're safer to store and can be popped back in the oven as you put the dinner on the table.
Thats what I usually do. I bake the pies wednesday. No room in the fridge till the other food is prepped and eaten. LOL

Tip: If you live in a place that has cold temps. I bake my pies the night before and when they have cooled to room temp I put them in the car to chill. ALLOWING it is cold outside. Some years it gets warm so then I have to find a way to fit them in the fridge to chill.
__________________

__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cook

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.