Need advice for cook ahead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
I need some advise.

I usually wait to prep my turkey stuffing (NO eggs), veggies and mushroom stuffing till wednesday. BUT due to some issues that have come up I am wondering if I could do any or all of those today and save tomorrow for just doing the pies.

Thank you in advance.

I, personally don't recommend making the entire stuffing/dressing ahead. That said, you can chop whatever vegetables and herbs you use ahead of time. Put them in baggies. I've made stock already and it is sitting in the freezer to be nuked Thursday morning.

And I can't say it often enough, delegate. I'm not a baker, so I designate a guest to "do" pie. If I loved to bake? I'd ask someone else to make the dressing (my favorite thing to make), or something else. I'm not shy about saying I'll host, I'll do the most expensive part, but then assigning others a dish to bring.

Go ahead and make your stuffing today. It'll keep just fine.

I ate up all my stuffing from the other day when I made my turkey, so I'm making another batch, just to have it on hand.

Gosh, I can hardly believe I'm giving advice to you, MSM!

I, personally don't recommend making the entire stuffing/dressing ahead. That said, you can chop whatever vegetables and herbs you use ahead of time. Put them in baggies. I've made stock already and it is sitting in the freezer to be nuked Thursday morning.

And I can't say it often enough, delegate. I'm not a baker, so I designate a guest to "do" pie. If I loved to bake? I'd ask someone else to make the dressing (my favorite thing to make), or something else. I'm not shy about saying I'll host, I'll do the most expensive part, but then assigning others a dish to bring.
Thank you.

It is just my hub and 2 girls so they help some but I do most of the cooking.

I'd be more inclined to do the pies a day ahead, then. They're safer to store and can be popped back in the oven as you put the dinner on the table.

Go ahead and make your stuffing today. It'll keep just fine.

I ate up all my stuffing from the other day when I made my turkey, so I'm making another batch, just to have it on hand.

Gosh, I can hardly believe I'm giving advice to you, MSM!
Thank you Z.

YIKES :LOL: I need advise often. I read LOTS of the threads and learn something new ALL the time so I don't usually need to ask.

I'd be more inclined to do the pies a day ahead, then. They're safer to store and can be popped back in the oven as you put the dinner on the table.
Thats what I usually do. I bake the pies wednesday. No room in the fridge till the other food is prepped and eaten. LOL

Tip: If you live in a place that has cold temps. I bake my pies the night before and when they have cooled to room temp I put them in the car to chill. ALLOWING it is cold outside. Some years it gets warm so then I have to find a way to fit them in the fridge to chill.

Back
Top Bottom