"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-18-2009, 10:59 AM   #11
Assistant Cook
 
matzsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
If he buys what he wants, and you think it is stupid (the "duh!") to do otherwise, then you deserve each other and the problems you are having.
Lots of people that are trying to eat healthy empty their cupboards of unhealthy ingredients. Lots of people think that way.
Your comment is in poor taste.

The "duh" referred to anyone thinking they can "make those purchased croutons and bacon bits disappear" from another *adult*!
__________________

__________________
matzsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:00 AM   #12
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 3,270
I know this isn't really what you are chasing but I can't think of anything that will bridge the gap by recipe alone. If it were me, I would look at making extra when I made the food he likes and freezing the extra portions for other nights. Also I would look at two soups/stews as they are easy to make and freeze (as a rule), one really thick and heavy one that he will prefer and a lighter, clearer soup that you and your daughter will enjoy. I know it sounds more but you wouldn't have to do it as often.

How about changing the veges that you serve so that they are still filling but less starchy. Give him an extra potato and you and your daughter have more broccoli say.

My father was English of Lithuanian heritage and potatoes were his thing. Mum used to say taht he would eat chips with every meal if she gave him the option. And I guess when he lived with his parents, he probably did have latkes and chips with every meal! Mum refused to make chips very early on in my life because of that. If he wanted to have chips with his meal, he had to cook them for everyone. Needless to say, we had mashed potato most nights, not chips!

As to the croutons/bacon bits thing -well I guess you can make your own to make them healthier but either way that is the least of your issues.

Being of an English background, we used to have lots of meat pies - beef, beef and mushroom, egg and bacon, chicken and veg, etc. You could try that but with phylo pastry instead of puff and up the veg content. You can serve that with a simple garden salad and he can have a potato and all his salad extras. Vary the portion size to suit the eater.

As another suggestion, is there such a thing as a lighter Polish cookbook? Or a Polish Weight Watchers website that you can look to for inspiration and compromise? Just a thought.
__________________

__________________
Too many restaurants, not enough time...
Bilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:05 AM   #13
Sous Chef
 
chefkathleen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Florida!
Posts: 697
www.allrecipes.com has a lot of good recipes. Full of flavor and different ways to cook whatever you're looking for. You'll have to look at each one in the category that you're interesting in and make your choices from there. I won't do your research for you, I don't know you, your family or your likes or dislikes. You have to do the work for yourself. That's a good place to start though as they give you the values in all the recipes.
__________________
chefkathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:08 AM   #14
Assistant Cook
 
matzsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilby View Post
I know this isn't really what you are chasing but I can't think of anything that will bridge the gap by recipe alone. If it were me, I would look at making extra when I made the food he likes and freezing the extra portions for other nights. Also I would look at two soups/stews as they are easy to make and freeze (as a rule), one really thick and heavy one that he will prefer and a lighter, clearer soup that you and your daughter will enjoy. I know it sounds more but you wouldn't have to do it as often.

How about changing the veges that you serve so that they are still filling but less starchy. Give him an extra potato and you and your daughter have more broccoli say.

My father was English of Lithuanian heritage and potatoes were his thing. Mum used to say taht he would eat chips with every meal if she gave him the option. And I guess when he lived with his parents, he probably did have latkes and chips with every meal! Mum refused to make chips very early on in my life because of that. If he wanted to have chips with his meal, he had to cook them for everyone. Needless to say, we had mashed potato most nights, not chips!

As to the croutons/bacon bits thing -well I guess you can make your own to make them healthier but either way that is the least of your issues.

Being of an English background, we used to have lots of meat pies - beef, beef and mushroom, egg and bacon, chicken and veg, etc. You could try that but with phylo pastry instead of puff and up the veg content. You can serve that with a simple garden salad and he can have a potato and all his salad extras. Vary the portion size to suit the eater.

As another suggestion, is there such a thing as a lighter Polish cookbook? Or a Polish Weight Watchers website that you can look to for inspiration and compromise? Just a thought.
I appreciate your comment.

The croutons/bacon bits was an example of an overall trend.

I suspect you may be right in saying that may not be fixable by recipe alone. I already do your freezing and the vegetable suggestion. So I guess what I'm doing, although frustrating and time-consuming, is the right thing to do. I posted to see if there was a solution I missed.

I limit chips as much as possible. Light Polish is a possibility, but the rest of the family dislikes the cooking immensely. (How many people do you know go: "Ooo! Let's have Polish tonight?" ha ha

Your kind & intelligent response has been most helpful. Thank you.
__________________
matzsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:11 AM   #15
Assistant Cook
 
matzsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefkathleen View Post
all recipes.com has a lot of good recipes. Full of flavor and different ways to cook whatever you're looking for. You'll have to look at each one in the category that you're interesting in and make your choices from there. I won't do your research for you, I don't know you, your family or your likes or dislikes. You have to do the work for yourself. That's a good place to start though as they give you the values in all the recipes.
I've been here too. Many times. Like many sites, it has many contributors, which makes it lack a certain consistency. Recipe quality (despite the ratings) are all over the map. Thank you nonetheless for the suggestion. =)
__________________
matzsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:17 AM   #16
Sous Chef
 
chefkathleen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Florida!
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzsy View Post
I've been here too. Many times. Like many sites, it has many contributors, which makes it lack a certain consistency. Recipe quality (despite the ratings) are all over the map. Thank you nonetheless for the suggestion. =)
What kind of consistency are you looking for? If you pick a recipe out of a thousand, it will still be the same when you look at it tomorrow. And there are probably a lot of different ways to make that one recipe. You have to decide if the ing. will be to your families liking. They're data bank is huge and the storage capacity to hold all the different ones is there. Recipe quality, you should be able to look at it and tell if it's going to work for you and your family. I never look at the rating and neither should you. They're just opinions.
__________________
chefkathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:20 AM   #17
Assistant Cook
 
matzsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
point? I guess we are just trying to help, but you have found a negative aspect to everything thus far.
Have you looked at the Sonoma Cookbook that I recommended?
I saw a Williams-Sonoma cookbook on amazon...Could be interesting. I will browse through it at my local bookstore before I buy...Thanks.
__________________
matzsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:22 AM   #18
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 3,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzsy View Post
How many people do you know go: "Ooo! Let's have Polish tonight?" ha ha
LOL

We have one Polish restaurant in Perth, where I live, and one or two Serbian ones - all heavy foods, and I am yet to try any of them!! But because it is a "novelty" here, there are lots of people here that are curious but we are all too scared of not being able to roll through the door on the way out!! People always over order when they go, I hear, cos everywhere else you can have two to three courses and just be pleasantly full. They say that you only need a main at these places. I would love to go to sample some of the foods and get a glimpse into my father's heritage. I did go to a Russian restaurant in Paris (!) when I was 18 but .... (read that sentence twice and complete it on your own terms!!)

I did try looking up Weight Watchers in Poland but the site seems to have been discontinued.

You know I don't think this is something you will ever solve. Only your husband can solve this in my opinion cos he is the stumbling block whichever way you turn. You are trying to battle habits that he doesn't want to give up. He has to want to meet you part way.

Good luck.
__________________
Too many restaurants, not enough time...
Bilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:22 AM   #19
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,300
The Sonoma Diet Cookbook
sonoma diet cookbook - Google Product Search
__________________

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:25 AM   #20
Assistant Cook
 
matzsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefkathleen View Post
What kind of consistency are you looking for? If you pick a recipe out of a thousand, it will still be the same when you look at it tomorrow. And there are probably a lot of different ways to make that one recipe. You have to decide if the ing. will be to your families liking. They're data bank is huge and the storage capacity to hold all the different ones is there. Recipe quality, you should be able to look at it and tell if it's going to work for you and your family. I never look at the rating and neither should you. They're just opinions.
Very true. I don't know about you, but just looking at the recipe has produced many disappointments. And recipes that read boring are sometimes amazing (my leek soup, for example). And one contributor can have an amazing recipe...then a dud. Food is expensive to experiment with.

It's like drinking out of a firehose at time, isn't it?
__________________

__________________
matzsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.