"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-18-2009, 11:31 AM   #21
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
The Sonoma Diet Cookbook
This is the interesting one I saw
on amazon:

The Williams-Sonoma Cookbook: The Essential Recipe Collection for Today's Home Cook (Hardcover)

(grrr...I can't post links yet ) If that one works, I might try the Diet one later.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:36 AM   #22
Head Chef

I told you about that specific book because it has many good recipes, with different levels of fats, carbs, etc, depending on one's "level" in the diet. It actually has many great recipes for folks that aren't on the "diet" but want to eat healthy food with variety. The diet book also has a handy pull-out list of foods, easy for use at the grocery store, as well as helpful suggestions as to serving sizes and other tips for healthy eating.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #23
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilby View Post
I did go to a Russian restaurant in Paris (!) when I was 18 but .... (read that sentence twice and complete it on your own terms!!)
Oh the possibilities! I did go to a restaurant in Paris 4 months ago but ....all I had was quiche! (quick bite, we were in a hurry...darn!)

Quote:
I did try looking up Weight Watchers in Poland but the site seems to have been discontinued.
Not surprised.

Quote:
You know I don't think this is something you will ever solve. Only your husband can solve this in my opinion cos he is the stumbling block whichever way you turn. You are trying to battle habits that he doesn't want to give up. He has to want to meet you part way.

Good luck.
Oy! When life hands you lemons, ...wait he doesn't like lemonade either!

I'll keep trying to find solutions (& look at that Sonoma cookbook someone suggested), but eventually I might have to resign myself to the status quo. Cooking isn't for wimps, is it?

Thanks a million.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #24
Assistant Cook

Quote:
I told you about that specific book because it has many good recipes, with different levels of fats, carbs, etc, depending on one's "level" in the diet. It actually has many great recipes for folks that aren't on the "diet" but want to eat healthy food with variety. The diet book also has a handy pull-out list of foods, easy for use at the grocery store, as well as helpful suggestions as to serving sizes and other tips for healthy eating.
I will look at both, thanks.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:46 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by matzsy View Post
Oh the possibilities! I did go to a restaurant in Paris 4 months ago but ....all I had was quiche! (quick bite, we were in a hurry...darn!)
Should have added that was in 1986!
Old 09-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #26
Honey Badger

Have you taken the time to look around here?

Your comment about a contributor having an "amazing recipe then a dud" well in my opinion we all can't be winners all the time.I've certainly been there..

I don't think you've given DC the chance.You want perfection and you want it now.
At least here you will most likely have the chance to ask the original poster a question about it.
DC does have quite a few professional chefs here that do know what they're talking about.The home cooks advice is just as sound..

Munky.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #27
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Should have added that was in 1986!
I'm still a wee bit older than you...so no worries!
Old 09-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #28
Head Chef

This site looks interesting...
Polish Food | Warsaw Life
Maybe look at individual recipes, then when it asks for things like sour cream, use a low fat version. If it calls for browning in butter, use canola or another vegetable oil, if it uses flour, use a combination of whole grain/white, and use a cornstarch slurry to thicken sauces and gravies (after getting rid of the fat), etc.
There are more and more sausages on the market that are natural, lower in fat.
Switch out regular potatoes with sweet potatoes or a whole grain rice or pasta.
My husband doesn't like the texture in a lot of veggies, so I'll change that, too. Like he hates a dish of sauteed zucchini but will eat it grated and "disguised" in a spaghetti sauce.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:57 AM   #29
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
You want perfection and you want it now.
Not "now" but soon!

Seeing as I've been trying to solve my dilemma for years, my patience has taken a beating!
Old 09-18-2009, 12:02 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

Quote:
This site looks interesting...
Polish Food|Warsaw Life
Maybe look at individual recipes, then when it asks for things like sour cream, use a low fat version. If it calls for browning in butter, use canola or another vegetable oil, if it uses flour, use a combination of whole grain/white, and use a cornstarch slurry to thicken sauces and gravies (after getting rid of the fat), etc.
There are more and more sausages on the market that are natural, lower in fat.
Switch out regular potatoes with sweet potatoes or a whole grain rice or pasta.
My husband doesn't like the texture in a lot of veggies, so I'll change that, too. Like he hates a dish of sauteed zucchini but will eat it grated and "disguised" in a spaghetti sauce.
Whatever polish cooking I do, I lighten up already (and oh he notices! )
He dislikes sweet potatoes (I *LOVE* 'em!). He likes veggies fine (no need to hide them, that's childish), just with toppings!

Only one little problem...
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzsy View Post
Light Polish is a possibility, but the rest of the family dislikes the cooking immensely. (How many people do you know go: "Ooo! Let's have Polish tonight?" ha ha.