Need advice on healthy but tasty recipies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Sonoma Diet Cookbook

This is the interesting one I saw
on amazon:

The Williams-Sonoma Cookbook: The Essential Recipe Collection for Today's Home Cook (Hardcover)

(grrr...I can't post links yet :ohmy:) If that one works, I might try the Diet one later.

I told you about that specific book because it has many good recipes, with different levels of fats, carbs, etc, depending on one's "level" in the diet. It actually has many great recipes for folks that aren't on the "diet" but want to eat healthy food with variety. The diet book also has a handy pull-out list of foods, easy for use at the grocery store, as well as helpful suggestions as to serving sizes and other tips for healthy eating.

I did go to a Russian restaurant in Paris (!) when I was 18 but .... (read that sentence twice and complete it on your own terms!!)

Oh the possibilities! I did go to a restaurant in Paris 4 months ago but ....all I had was quiche! (quick bite, we were in a hurry...darn!)

I did try looking up Weight Watchers in Poland but the site seems to have been discontinued.

Not surprised. :LOL:

You know I don't think this is something you will ever solve. Only your husband can solve this in my opinion cos he is the stumbling block whichever way you turn. You are trying to battle habits that he doesn't want to give up. He has to want to meet you part way.

Good luck.

Oy! When life hands you lemons, ...wait he doesn't like lemonade either! :ROFLMAO:

I'll keep trying to find solutions (& look at that Sonoma cookbook someone suggested), but eventually I might have to resign myself to the status quo. Cooking isn't for wimps, is it?

Thanks a million.

I told you about that specific book because it has many good recipes, with different levels of fats, carbs, etc, depending on one's "level" in the diet. It actually has many great recipes for folks that aren't on the "diet" but want to eat healthy food with variety. The diet book also has a handy pull-out list of foods, easy for use at the grocery store, as well as helpful suggestions as to serving sizes and other tips for healthy eating.

I will look at both, thanks.:chef:

Have you taken the time to look around here?

Your comment about a contributor having an "amazing recipe then a dud" well in my opinion we all can't be winners all the time.I've certainly been there..

I don't think you've given DC the chance.You want perfection and you want it now.
At least here you will most likely have the chance to ask the original poster a question about it.
DC does have quite a few professional chefs here that do know what they're talking about.The home cooks advice is just as sound..

Munky.

This site looks interesting...
Polish Food | Warsaw Life
Maybe look at individual recipes, then when it asks for things like sour cream, use a low fat version. If it calls for browning in butter, use canola or another vegetable oil, if it uses flour, use a combination of whole grain/white, and use a cornstarch slurry to thicken sauces and gravies (after getting rid of the fat), etc.
There are more and more sausages on the market that are natural, lower in fat.
Switch out regular potatoes with sweet potatoes or a whole grain rice or pasta.
My husband doesn't like the texture in a lot of veggies, so I'll change that, too. Like he hates a dish of sauteed zucchini but will eat it grated and "disguised" in a spaghetti sauce.

This site looks interesting...
Polish Food|Warsaw Life
Maybe look at individual recipes, then when it asks for things like sour cream, use a low fat version. If it calls for browning in butter, use canola or another vegetable oil, if it uses flour, use a combination of whole grain/white, and use a cornstarch slurry to thicken sauces and gravies (after getting rid of the fat), etc.
There are more and more sausages on the market that are natural, lower in fat.
Switch out regular potatoes with sweet potatoes or a whole grain rice or pasta.
My husband doesn't like the texture in a lot of veggies, so I'll change that, too. Like he hates a dish of sauteed zucchini but will eat it grated and "disguised" in a spaghetti sauce.

Whatever polish cooking I do, I lighten up already (and oh he notices! :mad:)
He dislikes sweet potatoes (I *LOVE* 'em!). He likes veggies fine (no need to hide them, that's childish), just with toppings!

Only one little problem...
Light Polish is a possibility, but the rest of the family dislikes the cooking immensely. (How many people do you know go: "Ooo! Let's have Polish tonight?" ha ha.

Have you taken the time to look around here?

Your comment about a contributor having an "amazing recipe then a dud" well in my opinion we all can't be winners all the time.I've certainly been there..

I don't think you've given DC the chance.You want perfection and you want it now.
At least here you will most likely have the chance to ask the original poster a question about it.
DC does have quite a few professional chefs here that do know what they're talking about.The home cooks advice is just as sound..

Munky.
Think you may have misinterpretted a post Munky. Don't think the OP was making any comment re DC, just about looking at the recipes posted on recipe sites as opposed to forums. Certainly, I haven't read anything that I would interpret in that manner anyway.

And as I have said, the way I read the problem, it is more about accommodating different eating styles more than a specific recipe per se. Recipes are just a good starting point in trying to tempt another person to a different way of thinking.

Think you may have misinterpretted a post Munky. Don't think the OP was making any comment re DC, just about looking at the recipes posted on recipe sites as opposed to forums. Certainly, I haven't read anything that I would interpret in that manner anyway.

And as I have said, the way I read the problem, it is more about accommodating different eating styles more than a specific recipe per se. Recipes are just a good starting point in trying to tempt another person to a different way of thinking.

Well said! Kudos! *throws flowers*

Bilby,

I understood her post,and what she was referring to.

But you know what..?No matter what anyone here says or suggests to her will make her happy.Some people just can't be helped.

My point was look around DC.It's free to.

Munky.

Disagree Munky. The OP can be helped but the problem is unlikely to be solved by looking around DC's recipes or any other recipe forum. It is not a dietary issue. She wants to be able to get her husband to change his attitude to food so that she doesn't have to cook separately for him, nor continue to eat food that she and her daughter doesn't like.

Help and stimulation is what she is after. And reading between the lines, some support/advice to achieve her aim. Isn't that what our community is reknowned for?

Somethings are just not that easy to get from reading recipes, either here or elsewhere or from hard copy. She could have just continued with her Google search if all she was chasing was a recipe. As mentioned earlier, there is no shortage out there.

Disagree Munky. The OP can be helped but the problem is unlikely to be solved by looking around DC's recipes or any other recipe forum.
The OP specifically said...

matzsy said:
What I need are recipes/cookbook to bridge the gap.
And Munky was pointing out where she could find those.

And in the four pages of this thread, you can read that this was how the OP thought best to achieve the stated aim
Please, anyone been in a similar situation? Any suggestions?

Sometimes you have to read more than one phrase or sentence to get to the heart of an issue, which isn't going to be found by providing her with a recipe. A cookbook may be of use but really only to get that inspiration that she is now lacking.
I don't know what to cook anymore. It's made me lose my will to cook. So I'm looking for a cookbook to inspire me.
Saying that someone can't be helped is not helpful in the slightest. Nor is it true in this instance. It is just not going to be a band-aid fix.

Mattie, it sounds to me like you are a bit frustrated and your hubby is a bit stubborn. Can you compromise a bit with him? What we do in our house is post a weekly menu on the fridge and everyone fills in a couple of days. I have stipulations (we don't do the same meat two days in a row, etc) but generally that works. You could then have a night or two that work for you and your daughter and a night or two that your hubby is happy. He can always eat leftovers on the nights he isn't satisfied. If you keep exposing him to different food he may eventually begin to like it, be patient. It took my Dad nearly 50 years of marriage before he began to enjoy any kind of pasta dish.

Cookbook recommendations...I always suggest Best of Bridge (look online) and as well I'd like to suggest Madame Benoit to you. She was a French Canadian lady and she was able to combine things in ways I think your hubby might enjoy. Happy Googling.

Mattie, it sounds to me like you are a bit frustrated and your hubby is a bit stubborn. Can you compromise a bit with him? What we do in our house is post a weekly menu on the fridge and everyone fills in a couple of days. I have stipulations (we don't do the same meat two days in a row, etc) but generally that works. You could then have a night or two that work for you and your daughter and a night or two that your hubby is happy. He can always eat leftovers on the nights he isn't satisfied. If you keep exposing him to different food he may eventually begin to like it, be patient. It took my Dad nearly 50 years of marriage before he began to enjoy any kind of pasta dish.

Cookbook recommendations...I always suggest Best of Bridge (look online) and as well I'd like to suggest Madame Benoit to you. She was a French Canadian lady and she was able to combine things in ways I think your hubby might enjoy. Happy Googling.

Thanks, I'll check out Best of Bridge. It doesn't have to be Canadian by the way. I have my mom's 1949 paperback copy of Mme Benoit's first book as well as her 1980's main book but cooking has changed so much, the recipes haven't aged well.

50 years! Your mother deserves an award! :)

Wow! What a roller coaster of emotion and advice!

Polish food! So heavy! and sometimes, so good! Everyday? I would die of a heart attack in 1 week. I married into a polish family, an American/polish family. They like their traditional foods but have been in America long enought to expand their horizons.

Slow roasted meats, heavy gravies, abundant starches, vegetable doused in cream and cheese sauces, sour cream on EVERYTHING! LOL

Your hubby knows what is good (to him). Now comes the time in every cooks life, teaching that different isn't less good.

I have a question, are you trying to change his habits to make him healthier or to just add variety to your (and your daughter's) diet? If it's the first then you are just going to have to lay down the law. If it's the second then you do have your work cut out for you.

I do not think you will find a recipe to bridge the gap but you may be able to find a menu instead. Pols love their pork, beef and sausages. They love their starches.

Chicken can be heavy or light. The same can be said for boiled potatos. Perhaps you can make up for the lighter fare with the application of a few traditional polish spices. Marjoram, thyme, sage and dill can really turn a chicken into a WHITE EAGLE.

On a different note. I would like to remind everyone that TEXT is a LOUSY medium for emotional content. Words typed in humor can come off as sarcasm. Phrases intended to lend advice can be read as an issuance of orders. Sit back, take a deep breath, think about what the poster really meant and ONLY THEN reply.

Even if it is unmistakably rude or snarky, do not respond in kind. Lets take the high road people.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom