"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-25-2014, 07:48 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
What does "erewigo" mean? I Googled and couldn't figure it out.
I think she meant "[H]'ere we go!"

Old 03-26-2014, 12:15 PM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
My husband was telling me that some disillusioned scientists are trying to set up a system where studies are submitted to scientific journals before they are run and where the scientists promise to publish whatever results they get.
Would that be PLOS?

PLOS ONE : accelerating the publication of peer-reviewed science

"Rigorous Peer-Review

Too often a journal's decision to publish a paper is dominated by what the Editor/s think is interesting and will gain greater readership both of which are subjective judgments and lead to decisions which are frustrating and delay the publication of your work. PLOS ONE will rigorously peer-review your submissions and publish all papers that are judged to be technically sound. Judgments about the importance of any particular paper are then made after publication by the readership (who are the most qualified to determine what is of interest to them)."

(That's the PLOS view of their journals. There are people who don't share that view. I'm somewhere in the middle, see below.)

There are many other open access sites and they all have their good points and their bad points. I happen to have been privy to many discussions about these on another forums---- for years.

I believe that each article 'rushed to print' has to be assessed on it's own and not lumped in with others that may be too rushed or even flawed on many levels.

On the other hand I've also seen journal articles by established medical journals that are flawed on many levels.

TL--- I know you weren't dismissing them, just as I'm not defending them but there are almost always two sides of each coin.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:19 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I don't know if it was that. As I understood it, the data would have to be published, even if it didn't agree with someone's pet theory.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:20 PM   #34
Head Chef

Quote:
I don't know if it was that. As I understood it, the data would have to be published, even if it didn't agree with someone's pet theory.
Well THAT would be a breath of fresh air!
Thanks for replying.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:30 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Yeah, science advances based on evidence. More people should remember what Edison said about his "failures" to make an electric light bulb, “I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
Old 03-26-2014, 03:10 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
What does "erewigo" mean? I Googled and couldn't figure it out.
'Ere we go (Here we go) - Sorry. Brit silliness.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:23 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the explanation MC.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:26 PM   #38
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
So back to my question from yesterday. If you don't trust the government, the universities or the companies, on what do you base your decisions? Alternative sites that don't actually do any research?
I'm not sure what you would think as ''proof'' of why I don't trust them. But I first want to make it clear that I'm very happy that we DO have the FDA, universities and most companies. But it's not a blanket endorsement of them for there are times when all of them fail us at some level.

The Bayh-Dole Act and it's consequences is one of the 'proofs' while not giving you a 'hand in the cookie jar' video.

So here are some things I dug out from my saved documents from other discussions in other forums.

FDA
Wiki
"The FDA's federal budget request for fiscal year (FY) 2012 totaled $4.36 billion,[2] while the proposed 2014 budget is $4.7 billion.[8] About $2 billion of this budget is generated by user fees. Pharmaceutical firms pay the
majority of these fees,[8] which are used to expedite drug reviews
."

Citation # 8 on Wiki
"The drug industry is already the primary funder of the FDA’s operational budget through the payment of user fees. The FDA’s proposed 2014 budget, a whopping $4.7 billion, includes a proposed increase of $821 million, 94
percent of which is to be funded by drug companies. While some believe self-funded regulatory agencies to be a good thing, others feel it allows industry to have major leverage over FDA policy decision making. "

Drug Take-Back Programs Coming To A Municipality Near You
Criticism of the Food and Drug Administration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dr. Herbert L. Ley, Jr ----retired FDA Commissioner ----said:
"After his resignation, in an interview to the New York Times, Dr. Ley warned the public about the FDA’s inability to safeguard consumers. People were being misled, he believed “The thing that bugs me is that the people think the FDA is protecting them - it isn’t. What the FDA is doing and what the public thinks it’s doing are as different as night and day,” he said. The agency, in his opinion, did not have the motivation to protect consumers, faced budget shortfalls, and lacked support from the Department of Health,Education, and Welfare ."

Herbert L. Ley, Jr. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AboutFD.../UCM265774.pdf

(Pages 42-47) Kinslow Report
Old 03-27-2014, 12:33 PM   #39
Wine Guy

I have no idea what's being discussed here. I thought the topic had to do with beans.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:35 PM   #40
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I have no idea what's being discussed here. I thought the topic had to do with beans.

Yeah, it has drifted, hasn't it? From Faraday cages to GMO to IRBs to the FDA and other excursions. I figured since it was OP AnthonyJ who brought up the topic of the FDA that he would be o.k. with further discussion about it.

Tags
beans