Need flambeing help/info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
I've never tried flambeing i.e. throw in the brandy, cognac etc & take a match to it. Any advice? TIA

Here is a recipe I would like to try, that has red wine and cognac, but don't have a fire extinguisher :LOL: :

COGNAC CHICKEN

1 whole frying chicken -- cut up
1 cup Cognac
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
salt & black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup butter
1 pound pearl onions
1/2 pound mushrooms -- chopped
1 clove garlic -- minced
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons light cream

Marinate chicken in 1/2 cup brandy for 20 minutes.

Season flour with salt and pepper. Drain chicken and dredge in seasoned flour. Brown chicken pieces in butter. Add onions, sprinkle with any remaining flour, and cook one minute.

Pour remaining 1/2 cup of brandy over chicken, ignite, and cook until flames die out. Add mushrooms, garlic, and allspice. Pour wine and chicken stock over all. Simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.

Beat egg yolk with cream. Stir into chicken mixture and cook until sauce thickens slightly. Do not allow to boil. Serve immediately.

PS - My built-in microwave is directly over the stove.

Mish, it really isn't all that tough. For your first time though, I would recommend finding some counter space without cabinets above it, then use one of those BBQ lighter thingys, or one of those really long matches. It burns off fairly quickly, but the flames CAN jump pretty high. They aren't terribly hot flames either. Can you put your pan in your sink maybe? That would likely make you feel better about things.

I've never tried either Mish.. someday when I get brave I'll give it a shot.

I'll take it out on the back deck though. Nothing to catch fire out there.

You know that it would be untrue
You know that I would be a liar
If I was to say to you
I have counter space without cabinets over head
Guess I can't flambe much hiiiiigher
Don't want to set the night on fiiiiiire :LOL:

It's easy and not too scary.
Have large lid to your pan nearby or a cookie sheet if you don't have a lid. You can use that to extinguish flame if need be.

Turn off the heat. Take pan off heat.

Add brandy.

Tip pan away from you just slightly so that the flames don't come toward you.

Light with a long match or light things like Alix says if you have them. If not, use a regular match. Chefs light from the flame of the stove.

Keep your eye on the flame, if it gets too high or you get nervous , just put it out with the lid.

Unless you spill the contents of the pan everywhere or use lots of booze or 181 rum, it's pretty hard to do damage if you are careful.

Attachments

• beavis.jpg
    beavis.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 139
Oh dear. I am sitting here howling with laughter and I inhaled some coffee. UGH. Thanks for those pix Ken and jennyema. Lordy I like the one in the full fireman suit.

Mish, you have a winner in this thread!

mish said:
Gas, IC. Thank goodness.

Then to be safe, you'd for sure want to remove the pan from the burner when you add the alcohol and then ignite it with either the flame from the burner, or use one of those long lighters that many people use to light their charcoal with.

With gas, there is a greater danger of the alcohol igniting when you add it to the pan, which could cause the alcohol pouring down to catch on fire in reverse. Most professional cooks or chefs just leave the pan on the burner because we do it fast and quick. Most home cooks tend to do things a little slower which increases the chance of certain things, like having a flaming bottle of brandy.

Flambé can be fun but be careful. About 20 years ago a private club in Burnsville Mn had quite a bit of damage to there fine dining restaurant when a waiter flambéed a pan of bananas foster. The pan got a little to hot before he added the alcohol and when he did add it the flame caught the drapes on the wall behind him on fire. They got the fire out quickly with no injuries and just some bruised egos. BUT BE VERY CAREFUL. {many professional kitchen folks get off on the flambé thing, but they have an exhaust hood and automatic fire suppression system}

flambe' isn't all that difficult, mish. practice ahead of time with flaming shots. (and you'll never need to wax your upper lip, either).

really, like everyone said, take it to a relatively safe place like the sink, and use a long candle or grill lighter, and tilt the pan away from you a few degrees.

Thank you all for your input!

Question: Why was the title of my original post changed, please? TIA

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom