"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-30-2010, 05:52 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Need help Creating a fancy dinner

Ok so my AC died right in the beginning of a heatwave, so im staying at my girlfriends house for the week. To thank her for taking me in i want to cook her a nice dinner. Now around a grill i am pretty good, but in a kitchen i am kinda useless. I would like to cook steak, maybe a potato dish and maybe something else. I have almost no experience cooking inside and the few attempts i have made the meat was dry and oily. So i need some help. Thanks so much

Old 09-30-2010, 06:09 AM   #2
Master Chef

Site Moderator

How about a swiss steak recipe. Swiss steak is done in the oven and pretty straight forward if you have a dutch oven or tightly cover a baking dish with foil. You could do baked potatoes that can be done at the same time in the oven as well. Pick up one of the bagged salad kits and you should be good to go.

Don't forget to set the table for 2 with full place settings and maybe some candles. Atmosphere is as important as the food.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:52 AM   #3
Executive Chef

You can cook a perfect steak indoors, especially if you use a cast iron skillet and an oven.

Preheat oven to 350 F
Get your skillet very hot on the stove.
Lay in the steak, and DON'T touch, peek or poke! Just walk away for exactly 3 minutes.
Turn steak over for another 3 minutes and walk away.
Put skillet in the oven for 3 minutes.
Remove skillet from oven, plate the steak and let it rest for 3 minutes.
Serve.
You'll serve a perfect medium rare steak.

For the baked potatos, pierce the potatoes and put in a COVERED dish.
Microwave on high for 5 minutes.
Turn both of the potatoes in the dish so that the inside of the potatoes are now facing out, cover and microwave on high for another 3 minutes. (Wear an oven mitt while handling the potatoes!)

You're on your own for the salad!
Old 09-30-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
Senior Cook

I did a lot of commercial cooking. This is what I think:
With "almost no experience cokking inside" . . . If I were you instead of attempting to cook in a kitchen I am not familiar with that is stocked with equipment I am not familiar with I WOULD RUN. I would run because looks are deceiving and there are too many things that can go too wrong in a strange kitchen -- even with an experienced cook.

I would surprise her with (pick one) flowers and candy, jewelry, special meal (you wouldn't normally go here) and ???, weekend get-a-way, moolight carriage ride or cruise, massage and spa for a day, cater the meal and pair it with a nice wine. Make it a night she will still remember when she is 90.

I am very lucky as I can sleep with wolves as easily as I can dine on the 91st floor of a skyscraper, or take a weekend cruse. If you are near Palm Springs you can dine on top of the mountain. If I was in Las Cruces I would go to Columbus, Mexico for dinner at La Tienda Rosa.

Whatever you do, make it a spectacular occassion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithtopia View Post
Ok so my AC died right in the beginning of a heatwave, so im staying at my girlfriends house for the week. To thank her for taking me in i want to cook her a nice dinner. Now around a grill i am pretty good, but in a kitchen i am kinda useless. I would like to cook steak, maybe a potato dish and maybe something else. I have almost no experience cooking inside and the few attempts i have made the meat was dry and oily. So i need some help. Thanks so much
Old 09-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I did a lot of commercial cooking. This is what I think:
With "almost no experience cokking inside" . . . If I were you instead of attempting to cook in a kitchen I am not familiar with that is stocked with equipment I am not familiar with I WOULD RUN. I would run because looks are deceiving and there are too many things that can go too wrong in a strange kitchen -- even with an experienced cook.

I would surprise her with (pick one) flowers and candy, jewelry, special meal (you wouldn't normally go here) and ???, weekend get-a-way, moolight carriage ride or cruise, massage and spa for a day, cater the meal and pair it with a nice wine. Make it a night she will still remember when she is 90.

I am very lucky as I can sleep with wolves as easily as I can dine on the 91st floor of a skyscraper, or take a weekend cruse. If you are near Palm Springs you can dine on top of the mountain. If I was in Las Cruces I would go to Columbus, Mexico for dinner at La Tienda Rosa.

Whatever you do, make it a spectacular occassion.
As a woman who loves to be appreciated and pampered (who among us does not? ) and also a chef and a home cook, I have to say I agree with linicx. I would not try to make an impressive meal in her kitchen if I were in your shoes.

Since the weather is warm where you are, I might suggest you enlist the best caterer you can afford to pack you an impressive picnic basket with some of your lady's favorite foods, purchase a bottle of REAL Champagne, and take her to the most romantic picnic spot available in your area.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #6
Senior Cook

I agree a romantic picnic is the way to go. My husband and I had a really romantic picnic when we were dating and continue to go back there. It is a really special place for us. My suggestion, make sure you get some kind of dessert. Chocolate covered strawberries or other bite size nibbles are a great idea.

If you were looking to get away from food. Why not do a couples massage. My husband surprised me with a a couples massage and Hydrotherapy bath on our honeymoon that was great. The spa was amazing. We were in this ultra private suite with tons of candles, dim lighting and soft music. We both had an hour long massage and an hour long soak in this great bath and with fresh fruit, cheese, and mimosas it was great!

It was a really great time of pampering and make me feel so loved and cared for and was a great time to be together. I will never forget it, that is for sure!
Old 09-30-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
Half Baked

Cooking is not that hard! You can make a pretty easy and elegant dinner with little effort.

I would however skip the steaks.I think they are easier and better on a grill.

You can roast a chicken or cross rib roast with some baby vegetables and have to work pretty hard to screw it up.Cornish hens are little more elegant if you choose.

Rub either with some spices and pop in a 350 degree oven along with the veg for 1 1/4 hours.Check with a thermometer to make sure you are not overcooking but 1 1/4 hours is almost foolproof for me.If the chicken is starting to pull from the end of the legs it's done!

Make rice,baked potatoes (at sime time as roast),or mashed potatoes to go with.

A Salad and maybe some fruit and cheeses for dessert.

That being said......I did a midnight picnic in the parking lot of an observatory when I was dating my wife.Pretty romantic!They cracked the dome open and had a symphony playing inside (by surprise).

I also did one in the back of my pick-up backed up to a cliff at the ocean.I brought a little stove and had lobster bisque and some wine. Some people passed by and commented what a "Lance Romance" I was.

Good Luck!

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #8
Master Chef

WOW, I had no idea our members here were such romantics! I'm impressed with all of your ideas. I'd agree that it may not be a good idea to try cooking in her kitchen. I don't think I'd appreciate a house guest cooking for me as a surprise, and she just may feel the same. On the other hand, I always welcome help from house guests, but I think you should ask her first, if you really want to do this.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:05 PM   #9
Master Chef

I agree, I would stick to what you're best at doing. Do some the grilling outdoors. Find a nearby park with picnic tables and grills.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:10 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Fondue can be fun, it gets peoploe dipping into delicious Swiss Gruyere with bits of meat or whatever, and fondue rather gets people loosened up and more chatty. That Swiss steak idea with the potaoes does sound very nice, must say. :)

And welcome to DC. I hope you stick around. People are really nice here.

Linux.