Need Help - Definition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mi77915

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I am fairly new to cooking and just received a new cook book to start learning how to cook. As a single father of (2) teenagers, I need some help understanding the following:

(3) examples:

1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, divided
3 cups tomato sauce, divided
1/2 stick butter, divided

I know this must be a simple question, but what does "divided" mean?

Hi Tom,
It means that in the directions...the recipe will tell you to use part of each ingredient at different times.. in the end it'll end up being 1/2 cup cheese..

1/2 cup parm cheese... divide into 1/4 cup portions. So you will have 2 1/4 cup protions.

Same with the sauce... divide into 1 1/2 cup portions.

1/2 stick of butter... divide in half.

Welcome to DC by the way!

Yep, what pds said. You will need 3 cups of tomato sauce, but, you will need part of the 3 cups for one part of the recipe and the rest for another part of the recipe. They say "divided" so you can plan accordingly and not accidentally dump all 3 cups in at the same time.

I hope we helped!

1/2 cup parm cheese... divide into 1/4 cup portions. So you will have 2 1/4 cup protions.

However, it's not ALWAYS divided in half. Your recipe should specify the amounts needed at the different times.

However, it's not ALWAYS divided in half. Your recipe should specify the amounts needed at the different times.

That is true, but since I can't see the whole recipe, I was just trying to give the best description I could. ;)

Divide it into whatever portions the recipe calls for. The recipe might call for the sauce to be added in 3 one-cup measurements, for example. Or you might need to reserve only a tablespoon of the cheese or better and add in almost all the rest.

In other words, don't just divide the ingredients up equally. Do what the recipe says.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!! That make sense now that I hear what it means. Now all I have to do is to try some of these recipes!! Wish me luck! :LOL:

Thanks again,

Back
Top Bottom