"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-26-2008, 07:58 PM   #11
Head Chef

Gosh Jim, I have no idea what that recipe is.

My mom would make slimey beans (that is what we called them) with either pork chops or ham, read that as some smoked or cured pork product.

And either one was fantastic. If I had to take my druthers I would go for the fresh pork chops.

We have a source of smoked pork chops (Walmart) and I gotta try the dish with those.

Don't have the recipe or any of my mom's dishes, rats. Wish she had written them down.

If you give us an idea of what was in it, maybe the folks here could give you a hand.

The worst that could happen is you wind up with a darned good recipe I would think.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:08 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
It most certainly will!!! Ya gonna be tossin and turnin in the bed all night wondering what them butterbeans that Uncle Bob cooked had in them that made them taste soooooooo good!!!....

When you dish out a bowl, put just a dollup of ketchup in with the beans.. Trust me, you will like it..

If you want to get radical, add just a tiny bit of pickle relish too... Don't laugh until you try it....

Old 02-26-2008, 09:08 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff G. View Post
When you dish out a bowl, put just a dollup of ketchup in with the beans.. Trust me, you will like it..

If you want to get radical, add just a tiny bit of pickle relish too... Don't laugh until you try it....
Well Jethro...ah Jeff......... I've got to have a long talk wit you boy!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:30 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun Cook
Well hey there Uncle Bob! I swear, some people just don't know what is good. LOL j/k I printed out the recipe online and I noticed that in the cooking directions that it omits the sugar called for in the list of ingredients so I knew something was up. Then I noticed that the recipe says it came from the Prudhome family cookbook which I have but didn't remember the recipe being in there. I check the cookbook and there are a whole lot of steps missing from the online version. I still appreciate Jeff pointing me in the right direction though. I have them cooking on the stove right now. I did make one change though. I took one pound of cubed ham, gave them a light coating of flour, browned them off and then set them to the side. Gonna add the ham after all the stock goes in. How things been in your neck of the woods?

Jim

P.S. To be fair to Jeff, I have eaten soup beans with diced onion and a little relish. Dats how they do it in Kentucky. I thought it was good. Never tried the ketchup though.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:52 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

All's quite in my sector Jim....Things will be picking up soon.

Yep love butterbeans. I'm having left overs tonight that were cooked with a big hand full of ham chunks. Onions on top..Yes! A little chili sauce..You bet....Ketcup...I'll pass.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:22 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Now Bob, isn't chili sauce just ketchup with a little sass? LOL
Old 02-27-2008, 06:49 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Cook View Post
Now Bob, isn't chili sauce just ketchup with a little sass? LOL
No Chili Sauce I know of... Fresh Tomatos, onions, peppers, garlic. etc don't add up to Catsup.....I do keep a small bottle of the stuff on hand for things like Nutria, Crows, and boiled chitlins.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:06 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Hey, don't laugh. I have actually eaten blackbird....'course I thought it was was dove at the time until I was told otherwise after. Was out of ketchup too. :D
Old 02-27-2008, 07:15 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Cook View Post
Hey, don't laugh. I have actually eaten blackbird....'course I thought it was was dove at the time until I was told otherwise after. Was out of ketchup too. :D
blackbird? dove?
Old 02-27-2008, 07:21 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Hi Auntdot,

The butter beans that drive you crazy recipe had practically the entire animal kingdom in there. Ham, chicken, duck, andouille, and one other one that I can't remember now. This one turned out pretty dang good though. My girlfriend is from "down the bayou" so I always respect her opinion and she really liked them.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot View Post
Gosh Jim, I have no idea what that recipe is.

My mom would make slimey beans (that is what we called them) with either pork chops or ham, read that as some smoked or cured pork product.

And either one was fantastic. If I had to take my druthers I would go for the fresh pork chops.

We have a source of smoked pork chops (Walmart) and I gotta try the dish with those.

Don't have the recipe or any of my mom's dishes, rats. Wish she had written them down.

If you give us an idea of what was in it, maybe the folks here could give you a hand.

The worst that could happen is you wind up with a darned good recipe I would think.