Need help finding a Paul Prudhomme butter bean recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cajun Cook

Senior Cook
Hi All,

My Mother use to make a Paul Prudhomme recipe called, "Butter Beans That Drive You Crazy" and it was soooooooooooooooooooooooo good. I have all of his cookbooks except his newest one and the recipe is none of those. Any Paul Prudhomme fans out there that might have this recipe in their archives? I would dearly love to make this recipe.

Thank you,

Jim

Hi All,

My Mother use to make a Paul Prudhomme recipe called, "Butter Beans That Drive You Crazy" and it was soooooooooooooooooooooooo good. I have all of his cookbooks except his newest one and the recipe is none of those. Any Paul Prudhomme fans out there that might have this recipe in their archives? I would dearly love to make this recipe.

Thank you,

Jim

I checked his website and it's not there either.

I checked there too Andy. I know it has to be out there somewhere. Spoke to my Mother the other day about it. She remembers making it but doesn't know what she did with the recipe. I may have to make a trip to his restaraunt to inquire. Thanx for looking.

Jim

I do not like them either.
Except for Pictsweet brand Smokey Bacon Lima Beans with Onions & Peppers frozen limas.
Unfortunately, all of the stores around here stopped carrying them.

Gosh Jim, I have no idea what that recipe is.

My mom would make slimey beans (that is what we called them) with either pork chops or ham, read that as some smoked or cured pork product.

And either one was fantastic. If I had to take my druthers I would go for the fresh pork chops.

We have a source of smoked pork chops (Walmart) and I gotta try the dish with those.

Don't have the recipe or any of my mom's dishes, rats. Wish she had written them down.

If you give us an idea of what was in it, maybe the folks here could give you a hand.

The worst that could happen is you wind up with a darned good recipe I would think.

It most certainly will!!! Ya gonna be tossin and turnin in the bed all night wondering what them butterbeans that Uncle Bob cooked had in them that made them taste soooooooo good!!!....:-p

:LOL:

When you dish out a bowl, put just a dollup of ketchup in with the beans.. Trust me, you will like it..

If you want to get radical, add just a tiny bit of pickle relish too... Don't laugh until you try it....

When you dish out a bowl, put just a dollup of ketchup in with the beans.. Trust me, you will like it..

If you want to get radical, add just a tiny bit of pickle relish too... Don't laugh until you try it....

Well Jethro...ah Jeff.........:ermm: I've got to have a long talk wit you boy!!

:LOL:

Well hey there Uncle Bob! I swear, some people just don't know what is good. LOL j/k I printed out the recipe online and I noticed that in the cooking directions that it omits the sugar called for in the list of ingredients so I knew something was up. Then I noticed that the recipe says it came from the Prudhome family cookbook which I have but didn't remember the recipe being in there. I check the cookbook and there are a whole lot of steps missing from the online version. I still appreciate Jeff pointing me in the right direction though. I have them cooking on the stove right now. I did make one change though. I took one pound of cubed ham, gave them a light coating of flour, browned them off and then set them to the side. Gonna add the ham after all the stock goes in. How things been in your neck of the woods?

Jim

P.S. To be fair to Jeff, I have eaten soup beans with diced onion and a little relish. Dats how they do it in Kentucky. I thought it was good. Never tried the ketchup though.

Last edited:
All's quite in my sector Jim....Things will be picking up soon.

Yep love butterbeans. I'm having left overs tonight that were cooked with a big hand full of ham chunks. Onions on top..Yes! A little chili sauce..You bet....Ketcup...I'll pass.

Hey, don't laugh. I have actually eaten blackbird....'course I thought it was was dove at the time until I was told otherwise after. Was out of ketchup too. :D

Hi Auntdot,

The butter beans that drive you crazy recipe had practically the entire animal kingdom in there. Ham, chicken, duck, andouille, and one other one that I can't remember now. This one turned out pretty dang good though. My girlfriend is from "down the bayou" so I always respect her opinion and she really liked them.

Jim

Gosh Jim, I have no idea what that recipe is.

My mom would make slimey beans (that is what we called them) with either pork chops or ham, read that as some smoked or cured pork product.

And either one was fantastic. If I had to take my druthers I would go for the fresh pork chops.

We have a source of smoked pork chops (Walmart) and I gotta try the dish with those.

Don't have the recipe or any of my mom's dishes, rats. Wish she had written them down.

If you give us an idea of what was in it, maybe the folks here could give you a hand.

The worst that could happen is you wind up with a darned good recipe I would think.

Back
Top Bottom