"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-06-2007, 01:28 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Think about shower curtains.........I use them outside around the hot tub. If the cloth is something you can work with to make them hang from regular rods, it might be worth thinking about.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:40 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
Think about shower curtains.........I use them outside around the hot tub. If the cloth is something you can work with to make them hang from regular rods, it might be worth thinking about.
Great suggestion, Vera. I forgot I did the same thing with some black and some natural canvas shower curtains I found on clearance. They had big, industrial looking grommets and so I hung 2 back-to-back, with the natural side toward the window since that protects the black from fading in the sun. It looks great, already had weights in the hems so they hang nicely, and was very inexpensive - $7 a piece I think.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:25 PM   #13
Cook

Shower curtains is a good idea indeed !
But !, will they not look bad in a bedroom?! That 'vinyl' or plastic'y' feeling of the curtains and the cloth feeling of the drapes or the curtains is totally different !
Actually there too much os sunlight coming into my room, especially at the afternoon time till 6:00pm ! I just cannot sit in my room for that reason. I have curtains tat r thin and transparent, so was thinking of changing them Any more ideas guys?!?
maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:42 PM   #14
Executive Chef

No, not the vinyl shower curtain liners. There are fabric shower curtains designed to be used with the plastic or vinyl curtain underneath. Some are thin and floaty but many are made of heavy fabric. The kind I used were made of heavy canvas.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:49 PM   #15
Cook

ok ! i hope i find some of those kind !!! It'll be the best option !
Old 09-06-2007, 05:58 PM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Like FishersMom said, the vinyl curtains are liners. The curtains themselves are a heavy material that can be cotton, polyester, or some other material.

I’ll also second the sheet idea as a fabric for curtains. I’ve made more curtains out of flat sheets than I can count. Compared to buying the fabric by the yard, the amount of material you get with a sheet is much less expensive.

The only downside is that it is thin, so you need a heavy backing to block the light. However, you can easily remedy this by buying heavy discount material and sewing it to the back of the sheet. You can get material, even if it is unattractive, for $1 or less a yard in discount bins at a fabric shop. Since the sheet will face the room, you don’t’ really care what the backing looks like as long as it is heavy.

When I was growing up, we had pull down shades/blinds that were spring loaded and would roll up when you pulled on them. You mounted them inside the window frame and simply pulled it down to block the window and light. I haven’t seen those things in years and wonder if they still make them. Still, some light does get in around the edges.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:04 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Yes, keltin, roller shades are still manufactured. They can be found at most Wal-Mart stores, as well as places like Sears, J.C. Penny, and many large home centers like The Home Depot and Lowe's. They come in many different light blocking levels. We have room darkening ones in our bedroom. Makes the room almost like midnight even at noon on a sunny day.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:08 PM   #18
Cook

what exactly are 'flat sheets' ?!?! are they bedsheets? or what?!
Old 09-06-2007, 06:09 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Maria, I answered that question in my post #10 earlier.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:12 PM   #20
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria View Post
what exactly are 'flat sheets' ?!?! are they bedsheets? or what?!
There are two kinds of sheets. Flat sheets and fitted sheets. Fitted sheets have the elastic sewn into them and are what you stretch over you mattress. Fitted sheets are the “bottom” sheet. Flat Sheets (or "regular sheets”) are the “top sheet” that goes on next after you have put on the fitted sheet. As the name implies, it is just a flat piece of fabric with no elastic in it.