"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-06-2007, 12:38 AM   #1
Cook

Question Need Help for buying cheap curtain/curtain cloth !!!

Hello Guys, I live in Canada and i wanted to buy some nice curtains. I want them dark coloured, and thick, heavy, so that they can effectively block the sunlight, and keep the room dark. I want some nice cheap curtains. Any ideas where can i get some cheap and good quality curtains of my preferences from in Canada? As an alternative you can also give me addresses to places where i can buy cloth for the curtains for cheap rate and stitch them on my own in house. Help me guys....

maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:48 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Hi Maria, You need a fabric with a tight weave. Depending how thick the fabric is, you may need to line it with another layer of tightly woven fabric to get the light blocking properties you seek. Are you looking for floor length or just to the bottom of the sill? Do you need them to also be somewhat insulated for as a barrier against cold weather? Window coverings are fairly expensive these days and it would definitely be less expensive to make them yourself. You can find very good deals on wonderful fabrics but it's often a problem to find marked down fabrics in the amount you might need for window coverings. How many windows are you needing to cover? If you can post more info, I can give you some links to places that might have what you need.
HTH
Terry

Old 09-06-2007, 08:29 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I don't know where you are in Canada, but see if there is a Fabricland close to you. They carry a large variety of drapery / window covering material. And, they have great sales.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:58 AM   #4
Cook

Terry, I need curtains for my bedroom window that is 50 inches wide and of floor length. And again a curtain for the door of the bedroom which is 36 inches wide and again of floor length ofcourse. It will be better if they will be insulated, but that is not at all important for me. I just need thick curtains. Is this info enough? Where can i get cheap and best quality curtains or the curtain cloth from Toronto?
Old 09-06-2007, 08:59 AM   #5
Cook

Loprraine, i live in toronto. Can i see the details of the rates/cost of the curtain, other details, at the fabricland online site? I searched, but they wont show a catalog of the shop !! And i need curtains with all the above details which are cheap and best. Can u help?
Old 09-06-2007, 09:39 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Here's an idea of what they have, but no pictures etc. You really have to go to the store. I'm not sure of they sell pre-made curtains, as we bought the fabric and made our own.

http://http://www.fabricland.ca/sale.html
Old 09-06-2007, 09:45 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Maria, the best and most cost-effective way to achieve what you want is to purchase some pretty flat sheets and use that as your curtain fabric. Then purchase some blackout drapery lining, which will almost completely darken your windows and also act as a fine insulator. I'm in the decorating business and specialize in window treatments.

Blackout lining is about 54 inches wide and is about $3.99 USD, which is very reasonable.

Just measure your width of your window, multiply by 2 1/2 to allow for fullness and side hems. Decide on the length, add 8 inches for a double 4-inch bottom hem and add whatever depth at the top that you might need for the type of rod you will use. The last calculation will give you the total length of each curtain panel. From that, you can then determine what size sheet(s) you might need. My guess is that two twin flat sheets will be more than adequate for your 50-inch window.

I would suggest making your window curtain long enough to reach just about 1 inch from the floor. This will help to avoid any drafts coming from the window at the bottom.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:56 AM   #8
Cook

Katie, thanks for the very good tip. But i have some doubts. What exactly do you mean by flat sheets? are theses similar to bed sheets? Should i go to a fabric store and ask for 'flat sheets' and the shopkeeper will give me those?! And about the blacout drapery lining.. will it be attached to the flat sheets? what colour do you suggest? and pictures for an idea?!
Old 09-06-2007, 11:08 AM   #9
Head Chef

Maria, I would check out Ikea - either their store, or on line:

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/ca...bedroom/10702/

See if there are hotel liquidation stores in your area. (When hotels close down, they sell off furniture, etc. at discounted rates). Try on line or yellow pages.

Ebay - I bought a pair of Tab panel drapes that were reasonable. (If you're into a leather-look, I've seen panels as low as $9.99 - insulated).

There's a discount place I like called Anna's, but it's in the U.S. See if there's one near you.

You can find a package deal for drapes, comforter, bedskirt, & shams at a great price at Brylane Home - on line.
Bedding, Bath, Kitchen, Home Decor, Curtains, Rugs, Furniture, Wall Art at BrylaneHome.com

Sheets are expensive - and they are not lined/insulated. Add in backing material, notions, the correct needle for the machine, correct thread for the fabrics, time & labor - & it's less expensive to buy ready made.

A tip - if you make your own drapes/curtains - preshrink your fabric & lining first. Hope that helps.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:02 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria View Post
Katie, thanks for the very good tip. But i have some doubts. What exactly do you mean by flat sheets? are theses similar to bed sheets? Should i go to a fabric store and ask for 'flat sheets' and the shopkeeper will give me those?! And about the blacout drapery lining.. will it be attached to the flat sheets? what colour do you suggest? and pictures for an idea?!

Maria, flat sheets are the top sheet. Just large flat sheets with hems at the top and bottom. If you have a Wal-Mart in your area, they have very reasonable sheets. In my area, a very good quality sheet in twin size is about $6.99 USD. Of course, there are many that would be much more, but the selection in less expensive ones is very nice.