Need help on cooking meatballs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GaryS

Assistant Cook
Hey guys,
I'm going to the beach like the day after tomorrow i need to bring something homemade. Quality control is pretty high so i think cooking meatballs should do fine.

I'm pretty new to cooking so i recon i do something simple, so far after watching YouTube and searching online.
The ingredients i have in mind are:
Beef Balls
Pasta sauce

I think i going to boil or steam the beef balls then cook the pasta sauce separately..or should i cook them together?beef balls in the pasta sauce.

Need some tips!
Thanks

Browning meat gives it its flavor so I would either sautee or bake them first and then simmer in the sauce for awhile

IMO it's never a good idea to steam or boil beef.

Last edited:
note taken never steam or boil beef. thanks!
Any brand or type of pasta sauce i should take go for?

note taken never steam or boil beef. thanks!
Any brand or type of pasta sauce i should take go for?

The best brand out there is homemade!;) I have found my favorite recipe base for meatballs from a Throw Down episode on meatballs. The guy Bobby competes against uses a lot of fresh herbs (basil, oregano and Italian parsley). He also bakes them in the oven. Of coarse I had to make some of my own modifications.:)

Craig

My recipe is adapted from Marcella Hazan's "Classic Italian Cookbook" (1973). There are several versions and adaptations of her recipe already posted on the internet so I won't go to the trouble of posting mine. This one is pretty good: Blog . My Version of Marcella's Meatballs | Beyond Delicious DC

I wouldn't use a prepared sauce. It's really not necessary and I've never found one that wasn't overseasoned, too sweet, etc. All you really need is a can or two of good quality Italian tomatos. You can add a pinch of fresh herbs if you like, but just a little. Basil, parsley, oregano, marjoram, cinnamon or nutmeg are all possibilities. Don't overdo it and you can omit them entirely. No seasoning is really necessary except perhaps a little salt and pepper. The meatballs have enough seasoning to flavor the sauce. By just simmering the meatballs with the tomatos you'll have a very fresh-tasting, delicious sauce. Sometimes simple is best and this is one of those times. You must, however, brown the meatballs before adding them to the sauce. I roll mine in breadcrumbs before browning them but this isn't absolutely necessary, then brown them in a little vegetable oil or olive oil in a skillet. Many people brown them in the oven, which is probably easier and less messy, but I seldom use my oven unless I'm making a large quantity.

If you lived in Canada, I would say you could use Classico tomato sauce, but I can't vouch for it any where else. If you do go with a ready made tomato sauce, read the ingredients. If it is made of food, without a bunch of thickeners, sugar, and weird chemicals, it will likely taste good.

Goodweed's Meatballs

Ingredients:
2 lbs. 80/20 ground beef
1 lb. Italian or Cudghi Sausage (Cudighi sausage is hard to find outside of Michigan's upper peninsula)
1 tsp. salt
1 large egg
1 tbs. fresh oregano, or 1 tsp. dried
1 tbs. fresh basil, or 1 tsp. dried
1/2 tsp. granulated garlic
1 onioin, minced
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup dried bread crumbs, or crushed cracker crubs
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp black pepper

Combine all ingredients together and form into 1/2 inch balls. Place on a parchment paper lined sheet pan and into a 375' oven for 40 minutes. Remove and add to your sauce.

If you are unfamiliar with making your own sauce, go ahead and use something like Prego, or Ragu, or Paul Newman's Industrial Strength. If I have to use a premade sauce, I use the prego with lots of garden veggies and mushrooms. But that's just me. Usually, I make my own sauce.

If you use the same basic meatball recipe, and change the herbs to cumin, cilantro, and coriander, and add finely diced hot and mild peppers, you can give your meatballs a definite Tex/Mex flavor. Add some paprika, and maybe some chili powder for color as well. Replace the bread or cracker crumbs with masa harina (corn flour).

Just some ideas for you.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom