"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-25-2011, 03:40 AM   #11
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by merstar
What type of fish are you interested in? I have some great recipes for salmon, rainbow trout, shrimp, red snapper, and mussels.

I also have a few vegetarian recipes without starches or dairy, such as Vegetable Chili, Chickpea Stew, and Vegetarian Tortilla Soup. The Tortilla Soup uses corn tortillas - Can she have corn?
Yes corn is fine and any type of seafood is fine, have done a few vegetable stews and curries but they feel a bit lacking without the rice or alternative to serve them up on. Really need something that is stand alone if going for that kind of dish. The tortilla soup sounds interesting if not just because I've never heard of it :)
__________________

__________________
Michael8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:54 AM   #12
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,431
Hi Micheal :)
This is a tough one! I have IBS and I can give you some suggestions but the triggers are different for some IBS patients.
I use sweet potato instead of potato even for making chips.
100% Rye bread of pumpernickle instead of regular bread.
Goats milk dairy products since they are easier to digest.
Basmati rice
Rice Noodles intead of pasta
Lentils are easier on the digestion than beans and can be used for many dishes. Curries, binder for fishcakes or cooked as your starch component to a meal.
I avoid raw onion, raw peppers, green peppers I don't eat at all!, remove the skins from cucumber and the seeds, raw cabbage etc. These cause terrible discomfort.
You can also use bulgar wheat, whole sorghum or barley as a starch.
Beetroot is very gentle on the stomach so I use those a lot.
You can make roots mash as a side dish using sweet potato, turnip, butternuts etc, instead of potatoes. All of these make great fries.
Butternut is good baked with garlic, black pepper and olive oil as a savoury dish.
You can make fish stews with veggies and serve with basmati or rye bread.
You could make fish or seafood parcels with fresh veggies of choice.
Blending cooked lentils and fish with spices and one egg make a good fishcake. You could use rice flour and crushed corn flakes for a crumbed coating.
White sweet potatoes are not very sweet so they make a good topping for fish pie.
I could give many ideas but it's difficult if you don't know exactly what a persons dietary needs are.
I use medication for my IBS so I don't restrict my diet as much and I still eat the foods I know I shouldn't sometimes and just deal with the discomfort. I don't have the willpower to cut out all of the things I love from my diet.
I hope some of this helps
__________________

__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:16 AM   #13
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13
Hi Micheal :)
This is a tough one! I have IBS and I can give you some suggestions but the triggers are different for some IBS patients.
I use sweet potato instead of potato even for making chips.
100% Rye bread of pumpernickle instead of regular bread.
Goats milk dairy products since they are easier to digest.
Basmati rice
Rice Noodles intead of pasta
Lentils are easier on the digestion than beans and can be used for many dishes. Curries, binder for fishcakes or cooked as your starch component to a meal.
I avoid raw onion, raw peppers, green peppers I don't eat at all!, remove the skins from cucumber and the seeds, raw cabbage etc. These cause terrible discomfort.
You can also use bulgar wheat, whole sorghum or barley as a starch.
Beetroot is very gentle on the stomach so I use those a lot.
You can make roots mash as a side dish using sweet potato, turnip, butternuts etc, instead of potatoes. All of these make great fries.
Butternut is good baked with garlic, black pepper and olive oil as a savoury dish.
You can make fish stews with veggies and serve with basmati or rye bread.
You could make fish or seafood parcels with fresh veggies of choice.
Blending cooked lentils and fish with spices and one egg make a good fishcake. You could use rice flour and crushed corn flakes for a crumbed coating.
White sweet potatoes are not very sweet so they make a good topping for fish pie.
I could give many ideas but it's difficult if you don't know exactly what a persons dietary needs are.
I use medication for my IBS so I don't restrict my diet as much and I still eat the foods I know I shouldn't sometimes and just deal with the discomfort. I don't have the willpower to cut out all of the things I love from my diet.
I hope some of this helps
Thank you for the suggestions snip, my partner has no problems with peppers or cucumber but almost anything rice based will cause problems , the savory butternut pumpkin sounds really good and must try the white sweet potato for pies! The problem is I guess that there is only so many types of fish cake and vegetable stews to do if you know what I mean ! Have had some success with chickpea and pumpkin patties but did find them slightly tasteless
__________________
Michael8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:25 AM   #14
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael8 View Post
Thank you for the suggestions snip, my partner has no problems with peppers or cucumber but almost anything rice based will cause problems , the savory butternut pumpkin sounds really good and must try the white sweet potato for pies! The problem is I guess that there is only so many types of fish cake and vegetable stews to do if you know what I mean ! Have had some success with chickpea and pumpkin patties but did find them slightly tasteless
I would say get yourself a good seafood cooking book!
You can make so many dishes with fish and veg alone!
You could also try stuffing gem squash, zuchini, aubergine etc. with things like tuna mixed with good tomato based pasta sauce and topping with crunchy topping or goatsmilk cheese and baking till golden.
Butternuts are also good with spinach and feta stuffing or just use your imagination!
She's a lucky girl, you're quite the gentlemen to cater for all her needs :)
__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:44 PM   #15
Head Chef
 
merstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael8 View Post
Yes corn is fine and any type of seafood is fine, have done a few vegetable stews and curries but they feel a bit lacking without the rice or alternative to serve them up on. Really need something that is stand alone if going for that kind of dish. The tortilla soup sounds interesting if not just because I've never heard of it :)
Here's the Tortilla Soup recipe: (I use extra garlic, onions, spices, etc.)
VEGETARIAN TORTILLA SOUP
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/4421
__________________
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces."
merstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:29 AM   #16
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7
Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
__________________
Michael8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:33 PM   #17
Cook
 
callahan9119's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael8 View Post
Thanks guys, to be more specific she cannot eat several things due to ibs and she is a vegetarian by choice. Yes mostly looking for seafood / vege dishes . Also finding it difficult to come up with sides or alternatives to rice or pasta, have tried quinoa but wasn't too keen on it.
Have you tried things like parsnip etc puree or mashed root veg, What about beans? Israeli couscous is pasta, but very light (at least to me).
__________________

__________________
callahan9119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
eating

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.