"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-24-2011, 05:43 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Need help partners eating restrictions

Hi, hope this is in the right place? I'm looking for some new recipes to make that my partner can enjoy, any ideas would be greatly appreciated! She doesn't eat meat except seafood, cannot eat dairy (occasional small amounts ok). Cannot eat starchy things like bread/pasta/rice or potatos. Getting tired of eating the same thing all the time , please any help would be great.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:55 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I try not to eat too much meat and dairy so end up eating lots of pulses, sometimes make them into a salad and sometimes a stew.

Pumpernickel is a good alternative to bread, I find the taste is too strong so buy a light rye version and toast it to take the edge off.
I make lots of dips and spreads at home.

To be honest I don't get bored of eating like this because for me it's a choice and not something I'm forced to do. I love thai food so use a lot of thai recipes and adapt them.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:57 AM   #3
Master Chef

Could you tell us why your partner has to restrict her diet? It would help us give you suitable substitutes.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
Head Chef

Sounds like you could use some great seafood/fish recipes and vegetarian recipes, minus any dairy and starchy foods, yes?
Can she eat beans or eggs?
Old 07-25-2011, 03:11 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thanks guys, to be more specific she cannot eat several things due to ibs and she is a vegetarian by choice. Yes mostly looking for seafood / vege dishes . Also finding it difficult to come up with sides or alternatives to rice or pasta, have tried quinoa but wasn't too keen on it.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:19 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Bouillabaisse, but it's a shame not to be able to accompany it with some crusty bread.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:23 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael8 View Post
Thanks guys, to be more specific she cannot eat several things due to ibs and she is a vegetarian by choice. Yes mostly looking for seafood / vege dishes . Also finding it difficult to come up with sides or alternatives to rice or pasta, have tried quinoa but wasn't too keen on it.
You can make kasha aka buckwheat groats as a side dish. It's delicious mixed with sauteed garlic and onions. Toast it first in a dry pan, then add it to boiling liquid, either broth or water - I prefer broth - it adds more taste. Cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:25 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by merstar
Sounds like you could use some great seafood/fish recipes and vegetarian recipes, minus any dairy and starchy foods, yes?
Can she eat beans or eggs?
Beans are ok and unfortunately she doesn't really like eggs much but it's ok if they are in things ( patties etc)
Old 07-25-2011, 03:28 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael8

Beans are ok and unfortunately she doesn't really like eggs much but it's ok if they are in things ( patties etc)
And yes that's exactly what kinda recipes I need
Old 07-25-2011, 03:34 AM   #10
Head Chef

What type of fish are you interested in? I have some great recipes for salmon, rainbow trout, shrimp, red snapper, and mussels.

I also have a few vegetarian recipes without starches or dairy, such as Vegetable Chili, Chickpea Stew, and Vegetarian Tortilla Soup. The Tortilla Soup uses corn tortillas - Can she have corn?

Also, check out my previous post about kasha as a side dish.

Tags
eating