"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-18-2006, 11:47 AM   #11
Everymom

I think you would be very happy if you went for a nice selection of "nibbly" type items. That way, those who don't want much can pick at it and those who do can load up. I was one of those pregnant women who could decimate a buffet without any ill effects.

I would try:

Spring Rolls
Bacon Wrapped Scallops
Teriyaki chicken skewers
Shrimp ring
Cheese/Cracker/Pickle/garlic sausage plate
Veggie/dip plate

Fruit Plate
Rich rich dessert! Chocolate eclairs maybe?

None of those will take a long time to do. (You can pick up the scallops at Costco or Sams club.) But the ladies will appreciate the large choice. I think you can then make them feel special with really nice wine glasses, plates, pretty napkins that sort of thing.

Good luck Home Chef.

Old 01-18-2006, 11:58 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
I would put a soup somewhere on the menu. Something perhaps like pureed pumpkin and parmesan or potato and leek. Neither take too long and are very elegant.

They can be a little time consuming, but homemade cinnamon buns with cream cheese or butter cream frosting would probably be my dessert or choice this time of year.

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:24 PM   #13
Master Chef

I had gawdawful heartburn when I was pregnant, so I would recommend that you consider that in your menu planning. A glass of apple cidar would have eaten me alive. Ice cream was my friend, though.
I nursed my kids, and followed the doctors rules, which were pretty strict back then...no chocolate, no onions, etc. Now they let nursing mothers eat just about anything, or at least my daughter's doctor did, and little Jesse did fine.

The first thing I craved when I got home from the hospital was vegetable soup. Jello with fruit in it was something that also tasted really good to me.

If you want to go with seafood, how about a nice seafood pasta? I posted a recipe under the recent "Alfredo Sauce" thread that is not too terribly rich. I'd offer a second entree also...perhaps a chicken and rice with vegies or shepherd's pie. Complete the meal with a 7-layer salad and toasted French bread, and finish off with ice cream and cookies for dessert.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:34 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh
mmmmm Something light, yet filling, that tastes wonderful and still gives them the pleasure of knowing that they are eating healthy at the same time.

Quiche and a salad. Or a salad with a touch of meat or shrimp as the centerpiece and a nice veggie for a side. Or a nice, warm soup with panini.

Z
Great idea.

OP- the very pregnant women are likely going to be very prone to heartburn, and there isn't much room for food.

On the other hand, the new mothers are HOPEFULLY breastfeeding (I say that because I'm a volunteer breastfeeding support mommy) and are going to be RAVENOUS. They need to eat several hundred more calories a day than a non-breastfeeding woman, but they are likely trying to shed some baby weight, so something healthy.

Also remember that you have to be careful with the following foods for pregnant women: some seafoods, shellfish, soft cheeses, processed meats (deli, sausages, etc.), and of course, other than fruits and veggies, nothing raw.

So, you might want to have something light like soup and salad for the preggo mommies and then a hearty main dish, too. Things like broccoli and onions can make breastfed babies gassy, btw, so I'd avoid that.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:05 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Maybe something light like, strawberry spinach salad, seafood quiche, croissants, a killer chocolate dessert... perhaps a sangria-like libation made with cidar (guessing alcohol is a no-no). Appys - stuffed shrooms or fruit, cheese, cracker plates or kebobs... fondue anyone?

Edited to add: Little frozen fruit salads - think I posted the recipe in his forum. If you're interested, I could post it again.

Strawberry Hearts
1 roll (17 to 18 oz.) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
2 pkgs. (8 oz. ea.) cream cheese, softened
2/3 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. sliced fresh strawberries

Roll out dough, cut out hearts & bake as directed on pkg. Combine cream cheese, sugar & vanilla, mix well. Spread evenly on cooled hearts, top evenly with strawberries.

Makes about 2 dozen hearts.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:33 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Very pregnant,?nothing really spicy(heartburn...I remember that feeiling, not nice) new breastfeeding mom's? no onions, cabbage, broccoli or anything that causes flatulence, bad for baby, the parents will be up all night!. Cook simple and everyone will be happy. Avoid lots of spices for the whole group and they will thank you.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:48 PM   #17
Master Chef

When I was about 8 months pregnant with my first, I called the doctor one night about 10:00, and told him I was in labor. He asked how far apart the contractions were, and I told him it hurt all the time.
He asked what I'd had for supper. We had just gotten some wonderful sweet potatoes from grandpa's farm in Louisiana, and my husband had told me how to just bake them at eat with butter, like a regular potato. They tasted so good that I ate 4 of them. Grandpa had also sent us some cabbage, and I ate some of that too.
Let me just say I don't recommend either of the above for your dinner.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:21 PM   #18
Master Chef

This strikes me as funny, because I just promised a daughter of a friend a sushi party as soon as her baby is born. Another friend wanted nothing more than a bourbon and ginger ale the entire time she was PG, and was so happy when she could have one (no, she isn't an alcoholic, she just had a taste for it). A sister wanted nothing but pasta and red sauce. Having never been PG myself, I just go with the flow, and I suspect no one could predict what would be perfect for more than a few women, what they want is as individual as the women themselves. In fact, all three of my little sisses and multiple friends ate lots of whatever food I put on the table, and lots of what I brought to their homes after the babies were born. I did (and do) pay attention to what they're absolutely dying for during the pregnancy, and when it is safe for them, I fix that. For a group, I'd make a pasta with a cheese sauce (in the winter; in summer maybe a cold pasta dish), a salad, and a nice desert with a little chocolate in it (probably something like vanilla ice cream or plain cheesecake with a very little shaved chocolate as a trim). One time a little sis of mine and I were going through a grocery store, and I was eyeing chocolates, she was eyeing the wine rack. We cracked up. "You can tell I'm pregnant and you're PMS!" She almost never drinks, and I don't like sweets. It's just impossible to predict. Do what you like and you'll do fine.