"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-17-2006, 01:01 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Need help planning a meal. Postpartum women

This Friday I have to cook for a group of women that are either VERY pregnant or have recently given birth. I'm having a hard time coming up with a menu that will be comfortable for these women. I really have no idea what to do. This is as stumped as I have ever been.

To the best of my knowledge there are no allergy restrictions or foods to simply stay away from. I know to stay away from spicey or gassy foods only from the experiences I have had with my wife.

Please... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-17-2006, 01:11 PM   #2
Master Chef

You could do something that will make them feel as though they are getting something special, like, grilled chicken with alfredo sauce and noodles or something to that effect. Maybe some chocolate dessert. Do you have a bakery that has the little bite sized eclairs or a Sam's warehouse? They have them. I craved chocolate after my kid's were born, as I had to watch it since I already had hypertension and had to stay away from a lot of things.
Maybe someone will have the perfect thing for you. Good luck!!

Old 01-17-2006, 01:53 PM   #3
Cook

Well, as a mother let me tell you anything that is homemade from someone elses kitchen is a treat. a green salad with lots of stuff in it comes to mind. marinated flank steak or ? something on the grill does sound good. and well prepared hot crispy french bread.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:25 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I should mention that it sould be relatively easy and quick. So far the suggestions are really good. Keep them coming. I rally haven't heard teh 'magic' meal yet.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:32 PM   #5
Master Chef

this came from BangBang on another thread. Doesn't sound too hard.

BRAISED BEEF TIPS

2 tbsp. butter
2 lbs. beef sirloin tips, cut in 1 inch cubes
1 (10 1/2 oz.) can beef consomme
1/3 c. cranberry cocktail
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. onion salt
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 c. water
4 c. hot cooked rice
Melt butter in large skillet and brown meat on all sides. Stir in consomme, cranberry cocktail, soy sauce, garlic, and onion salt; heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for one hour or until meat is tender. Blend cornstarch and water; stir gradually into the stew. Cook, stirring constantly, until gravy thickens and boils. Cook 1 minute more. Serve over rice. Serves
Old 01-17-2006, 02:41 PM   #6
Head Chef

mmmmm Something light, yet filling, that tastes wonderful and still gives them the pleasure of knowing that they are eating healthy at the same time.

Quiche and a salad. Or a salad with a touch of meat or shrimp as the centerpiece and a nice veggie for a side. Or a nice, warm soup with panini.

Z
Old 01-17-2006, 05:27 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I like the quiche and salad idea, the chicken idea, but Im a seafood lover so I would venture to say that most that love seafood would love a baked stuffed shrimp, also lasagna with a salad and crusty bread. I was wondering if you know what any of the preggies are craving? You also have to keep in mind the women that have had their babies probably want to lose weight. So I think chicken or fish would satisfy both, as well as the quiche and salads.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:41 PM   #8
Hospitality Queen

Ditto on the salad, especially if there are lots of goodies in it! Perhaps a "build your own salad bar" with various veggies, meats, hard boiled egg, cold pastas, etc...? You can pre-cut everything first, and this way if there are any vegetarians, they're catered to, and those craving extra protein can be taken care of as well.

Also, while some enjoy a good seafood dinner, there are others that may not. I do remember going to a couple of large banquets when I was pregnant where I was served seafood and ended up going hungry, as I don't eat it. Also, it does tend to make some pregnant moms queasy.

PS - keep in mind chocolate has caffeine (even though it's not a large amount, it is caffeinated), and when I was pregnant and nursing it was a huge no-no for me. Even decaf has 3%, so you may want to make sure there's lots of water, milk, or juice for the ladies. Sparkling cider may be a nice option.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:29 PM   #9
Head Chef

How about two casseroles: One of Chicken, Ziti and Broccoli*, and the other of Baked Ziti and Meat Sauce (or Lasagna). Comfort food!

Serve with tossed salad and great bread.

And for dessert, build your own SUNDAES!!!

Lee

*Ziti with Chicken, Broccoli and Cheese

I order this dish in restaurants, and so far, this is recipe is the closest I've found to duplicating at home.

1 stick of butter
1 c. white wine
1/3 c. olive oil
1 lb. of boneless, skinless chicken
1 Bunch of broccoli
1 lb. box of ziti's with lines
5 cloves of garlic, minced
Grated Romano cheese

Melt butter in deep skillet. Add oil and garlic. Simmer for about 15 minutes. Add wine and bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low for 20 minutes. Cut broccoli into small bite size pieces and steam in microwave for 8 minutes. Cut chicken into thin bite size pieces and cook in the butter, garlic and oil. Remove chicken when done and saute broccoli in butter, garlic and oil for 5 minutes. Sprinkle broccoli with Romano cheese. Add cooked ziti with broccoli and chicken, and add more Romano cheese.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:34 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Never having had a baby, I can't be sure, but isn't broccoli a food that generates gas? If any of the new moms are nursing, the babies are going to pay the price.