Need help reducing recipe for Saurebraten

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara A

Assistant Cook
breaking down this recipe for 100 people, can anyone break it down to at least 12?

Saurebraten

Beef 38 lb
Vineger 3 qt
Water 5 qt
Can tomatoes 13 lb ( I already know I need one can)
Brown suger 2 1/2 lb
salt 4 oz
dry mustard 2 oz
cloves, whole 1oz
Cinnamon 1/2 oz
allspice 1/2 oz
nutmeg 1/2 oz
onions 1 1/2 lb
celery 1 1/2 lb
carrots 1 lb
chopped garlic 2 oz.

Thanks for any help doing this, this is my fathers Navy recipe and it is really really good, he broke it down years ago and I have misplaced it and he is no longer with us so I can't get the breakdown again.

Thank you
Barbara

Won't even attempt to help you Barbara - US measurements are alien to me and I might steer you wrong, but welcome to DC anyway!

[But wow, there are a HUGE amount of recipes for sauerbraten, aren't there!!!]

the 1`st thing to do would be break it down into Sensible units of Metric, and then divide by 100.
that will give you the portioning for One person, it`s up to you to scale it up to serve however many you want to after :)

converting to Metric Instantly gives you a Common Denominator of Base 10 :)

Thanks for the help, I will work on it more when I get off work. It is a wonderful recipe!!

Barbara;
I love Sauerbraten and make it for my family from time to time. I came up with this conversion. Maybe it will help.

6 lbs Beef chuck or shoulder roast (you will lose some weight during the cooking process)
2 cups vinegar
3 cups water
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp mustard
1/4 tsp whole cloves
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 med onion
2 ribs celery
2 carrots
3 cloves garlic chopped

I always serve mine with stewed, dried fruits like apricots, apples, raisins, prunes that I stew in a little Riesling. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much Bubba, I will use your version and add the tomatoes to it. I have not had sauerbraten in years and when I saw my fathers old navy recipes it brought back memories, he made it as a stew after soaking the meat for three days and made a gravy out of the juices. I will try your version with the dried fruits as well.

Thank you very much.

Barbara

Back
Top Bottom