Need Help/Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pcheftina

Assistant Cook
Christmas Day night my husband's family will be coming over to celebrate. We will be with my family all day at another location so cooking before they arrive will be difficult. I'd like to prepare whatever we will eat on Christmas Eve and just have to heat it up when we get back from my family's on Christmas Day Night. We hosted them last year and had chili, but my MIL & SIL are very picky and weren't thrilled with my choice of menu. Any suggestions?? UGH....I hate this family stuff.........I just don't know why they can't all get along!!:(

Not knowing the picky eaters' likes and dislikes makes it difficult to suggest.

How about a beef stew or pot roast with french bread and butter?

Yes, I guess that was a little vague. MIL no fish, greens, and the only veggies she likes are corn and broccoli (which she usually cooks until it turns grey -- yuck -- mine is "too crunchy" for her).

SIL doesn't really like beef but loves most veggies. I'm grateful that my FIL (like my hubby will try anything once and usually likes everything).

BIL .... well I don't really even want to get into his eating habits, or lack thereof.....

Thanks.

Why cook a hot meal? our celebrations is more Italian we have platters of Italian meats and cheeses anti pasti if you will, pickles,peppers,olives lots of sliced french bread and foccacia, platters of shrimp and sauce,a nice smoked salmon with crackers and a dill lemon sauce..deviled eggs, stuffed onions, rice torta,stuffed celery with blue cheese and some with peanut butter...hot fondue,hot meatballs in bbq sauce and that along with some cookies and a black devils food cake does it...It's my home here and my kids each pick soemthing they love for me to make, plus I do things my DH remembers his mom doing..we all end up happy and full
kadesma

Get a Spiral Cut ham at one of the wholesale clubs, Sam's, Costco, etc. Get some pistolettes (small French breads), and let them make their own sandwiches. Steam some broccoli; I usually add about ½ tsp of Crab Boil and a little minced garlic to the water. It gives a nice kick. By Christmas Day Night, how heavy of a meal are they looking for? I am not sure how long you have been married, but 15 years here, and if they do not like what you are serving, they can bring a brown bag lunch. My father in law is the cook in his family, and he is very opinion added, but he knows if you are coming to my house, eat if you want, or watch us. I am not saying that you should not be accommodating to some extent. Like I know my father in law is not fond of salmon, so I do not prepare it if I know they are coming over, but it sounds like they are pushing you around just a little.

Cocktails........
Pork tenderloin ... Sliced thinly....Small rolls...Maybe some different mustards...
Then pick up on some of Miss Kadesma's ideas....
Light, simple, Cocktail party idea...Not a sit down dinner...

Have Fun!

Cocktails........
Pork tenderloin ... Sliced thinly....Small rolls...Maybe some different mustards...
Then pick up on some of Miss Kadesma's ideas....
Light, simple, Cocktail party idea...Not a sit down dinner...

Have Fun!
UB I like the idea of the pork and rolls might just do that here this year for a change..Thank you
kades

Can I just tell them I'm contagious and join Kadesma and her family???? that's right up my alley, but the MIL doesn't eat olives or many of the things you mentioned.

My DH has indicated a strong desire for Chili, so......

Thanks to you all.......

A steak soup would heat up very easily and the flavor gets better if it is refrigerated a day or so. You can serve in bread bowls that you can buy from Panera.

Can I just tell them I'm contagious and join Kadesma and her family???? that's right up my alley, but the MIL doesn't eat olives or many of the things you mentioned.

My DH has indicated a strong desire for Chili, so......

Thanks to you all.......
At one time my m-i-l tried to run the show here..I finally put my foot down nicely, I just did my thing and made sure some of her favorites were included..I'd go ahead and change the menu adding a crockpot's worth of chili for the dh, then you're all happy, remember mother in law does not have to eat what she doesn't like..there is no reason for her to spoil a wonderful holiday just to get her way..foolish and mean.
kadesma

There are lots of make-ahead casserole or layered dishes you could make. Lasagna, for example, with garlic bread and salad. Or turkey-broccoli-rice casserole. These can be made the night before and baked for an hour or so before serving.

Maybe take Kadesma's ideas as a suggestion for a type of meal rather than serving the specific items she mentioned. Are there easy-to-make finger foods that your family enjoys? Some ideas are crab dip with butter crackers, cocktail shrimp, bbq meatballs in a slow cooker, American-style cold cuts (ham, bologna, turkey, roast beef) with American, Cheddar and provolone cheeses, deviled eggs, green salad or green-bean casserole, ham and biscuits.

Back
Top Bottom