Need help thinning my too thick tomatillo salsa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ratherbcooking

Assistant Cook
Hi all

I'm a new member and this is my first post so would love any help anyone can offer. I just experimented making tomatillo salsa last week, but it wasn't quite the same as some I tried from a restaurant in Arizona. I used canned tomatillos last week because that was what I could find at the moment. However, today I bought fresh ones, along with fresh serrano and jalapeno peppers. After roasting the tomatillos, I put them in the processor with the peppers, some canned green chiles, cilantro, spices, lime juice, a bit of olive oil and water, and some of the salsa I made last week. This batch turned out very very good. But before I can it, I put it in the fridge overnight to see how the flavors will blend and how thick the salsa becomes. The stuff I made last week is so thick, a spoon will stand straight up in it! LOL :chef:

I don't want to change the flavor of this new batch but if it turns out thick, I need to add something to it. My question is: WHAT? I think water or oil will change the flavor, but lime juice or a vinegar or anything else would also change it. Any thoughts? Thanks!!!

I've never seen a salsa that was too thick ... and if a spoon stands up in it that sounds about right. I hate thin, watery, runny salsas!

If you really feel the need to muck up a good thick salsa ... try adding a bit of canned diced tomatoes or tomato puree.

Last edited:
Thanks Michael. If it was regular salsa, I might agree with the thick theory. But the tomatillo salsa almost seemed like GEL after it was refrigerated. Very odd, but then I never used tomatillos before and wasn't sure what to expect. I HAVE eaten the salsa though and it didn't have the consistency of gel so I wondered what happened. I followed a recipe, of sorts, because I always make food to taste. At any rate, I'm hoping the new batch isn't gel-like, and if it is, I don't want to add red tomato anything to it. But I might try something else green. Nice roasted green chiles from Hatch might be good but I don't have any left and now live in Oklahoma, so my options are limited for a few more months until I move back to AZ. Other suggestions? Thanks a lot.

Ratherb, thanks, never thought about roasting the tomatillos. Gotta try that.

I've been thinking about this and the only thing I can think of that would make it "gel" is the olive oil. In the absence of a recipe:

If you processed your salsa into a puree (I've had some like that) - the olive oil might have created an emulsion.

If your salsa was chunky and you just "blended" in the olive oil - it might thin out on it's own if you let it come to room temp.

Olive oil will thicken up when refrigerated.

Michael in FtW said:
I've been thinking about this and the only thing I can think of that would make it "gel" is the olive oil. In the absence of a recipe:

If you processed your salsa into a puree (I've had some like that) - the olive oil might have created an emulsion.

If your salsa was chunky and you just "blended" in the olive oil - it might thin out on it's own if you let it come to room temp.

Olive oil will thicken up when refrigerated.

I've experienced the 'gel' thing when I make cocktail sauce, too. The ingredients are horseradish, ketchup, worcesteshire, fresh lemon juice and minced garlic. No oil.....yet it still gels when I refrigerate...:mad:

Welcome, Ratherbcooking!

I've made a tomatillo salsa before and I love it with roasted tomatillos. How about adding a small amount of chicken broth? Start with teaspoons and go from there.

tomato or onion juice will work, and as Micheal says, olive oil will go waxy/thick below a certain temp, might be worth taking a little out and seeing how it goes when it gets to the temp you intend to serve it at.
just to make 100% sure first :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom