Need help with buttermilk question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kobefn

Assistant Cook
I wanted to make this cake but it calls for whole butter milk but I can't find that anywhere I have reduced fat buttermilk can I use this instand of whole butter milk?

I would use the regular buttermilk. I do not see how buttermilk could be whole because the fat (butter) has been removed. What am I missing?

When you make butter, you start with cream and agitate it either in a butter churn or a mixer (unless you are a butter factory, then you have huge machines that do the same thing).

Buttermilk, by definition, is low fat.

The agitation causes the fat molecules to separate and stick together, forming butter. What's left is skim or low fat milk that becomes buttermilk either naturally or with the addition of enzymes to aid the process.

I would use the regular buttermilk. I do not see how buttermilk could be whole because the fat (butter) has been removed. What am I missing?

Most supermarket buttermilk is cultured buttermilk which is just regular milk with lactic acid bacteria added. It can be fat free, 1%,2% or whole. I can't recall seeing whole in my store.

Like others have said, when it's made traditionally it's lower fat, which may explain why you generally see 1% buttermilk in stores.

Last edited:
Yes I am pretty sure you can use reduced fat buttermilk instead of whole buttermilk. Just to let you know though, I found out on the internet buttermilk does not contain any butter.

If butter is needed I highly recommend I can't believe its not butter! Light such as in Wal-Mart, KMart etc. look near eggs, refrigeration stuff etc.

Great luck to you!

I hope you enjoy your food(s) ;) ; )

Buttermilk is the whey that remains after churning butter. The butter is the fat that's been nearly all removed and buttermilk is what's left, so naturally it would be low fat. Lactic acid or certain enzyme cultures congeal what fat remains, which is what thickens buttermilk.

One tablespoon of white vinegar added to each cup of whole or 2% milk and let set for 5 minutes makes a buttermilk substitute.

I bath in it once a year because I can't find an ass.I think I better stop there..............

Since a quart of buttermilk around here would never get used before it went bad. I always keep buttermilk powder on hand for baking. The one I have is Saco cultured Buttermilk blend. I use it when I use my *gasp* bread machine. I have successfully used it in other recipes. I think I found it in the baking section of the grocery store.

You can also make your own buttermilk by adding a tablespoon of white vinegar to a cup of milk. Let it sit for a few minutes and wha-la you have buttermilk. I do it all the time. A little something I learned from my grandmother.

You can also make your own buttermilk by adding a tablespoon of white vinegar to a cup of milk. Let it sit for a few minutes and wha-la you have buttermilk. I do it all the time. A little something I learned from my grandmother.

That's what I said in only a few posts back, earlier in this thread:

...One tablespoon of white vinegar added to each cup of whole or 2% milk and let set for 5 minutes makes a buttermilk substitute.

Great minds think a like!

One of these days I may agree with you, if ever I develop a "great mind"!!! :LOL:
In the mean time, I'll settle for having enough brain power to put one foot in front of the other! :ROFLMAO:

...from a fellow Cajun...;)

The last time I went to the grosherie store looking for buttermilk, I had two choices: 1 quart for $2.49 or a half gallon for $2.79. Guess which one I bought?

After that, any recipe that originally called for milk, called for buttermilk. I had buttermilk panckes and waffles, I had buttermilk cakes, I had buttermilk biscuits, I had buttermilk macaroni & cheese... and yes, I managed to use it all up before the expiration date! Which is good, because I have no idea what bad buttermilk looks, smells, or tastes like.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom