Need help with oil volume

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kobefn

Assistant Cook
I need to know how much is 6 ounces vegetable oil??? thanks so much

Hi,

Is this by weight on a set of scales or a liquid measurement of cups or a jug? or by fl.ozs?

5 fl. oz is I gill or 1/4 of a UK pint and 6 fluid ounces is about 180 mls.

What ingredient are you trying to measure - oil? but what other ingredients are there in the recipe as these may be critical. It would help if you told us what you are trying to make - a cake, mayonnaise, muffins, carrot cake etc?

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Archiduc

... Is this by weight on a set of scales or a liquid measurement of cups or a jug? or by fl.ozs? ...

6 oz by weight is 6 oz. - or about 170 grams.

By volume:

6 oz (UK liquid) = 0.75 cup Liquid (Canada), 0.68 cup (metric), 0.72 cup (US)
6 oz (US liquid) = 0.78 cup Liquid (Canada), 0.71 cup (metric), 0.75 cup (US)

6 oz (UK liquid) = 170.5 ml
6 oz (US liquid) = 177 ml

2 tablespoons are an ounce or real close :)

I got a little measuring glass at Walmart that comes in real handy. Has teaspoons, tablespoons and ounces, etc. marked on it.

oil measurement

6 oz by weight is 6 oz. - or about 170 grams.

By volume:

6 oz (UK liquid) = 0.75 cup Liquid (Canada), 0.68 cup (metric), 0.72 cup (US)
6 oz (US liquid) = 0.78 cup Liquid (Canada), 0.71 cup (metric), 0.75 cup (US)

6 oz (UK liquid) = 170.5 ml
6 oz (US liquid) = 177 ml

Hi Michael,

That is a very useful breakdown of different measurements by country which I`m sure will be useful to all posters. Conversions between dry and liquid ingredients between USA/Canadian and UK recipes is a minefield! and then there are the Australian measures to consider!

Many thanks,
Archiduc

Humm ... and the Crown just thought they were getting rid of all you trouble makers by shipping you down under ... :LOL:

Maybe someday I'll find a better collection of conversions for cooking ingredients - but these may help with some Australian conversions:

This one has some weight and volume conversions between US - Canadian - Aussie (just scroll down to the metric conversions)

This one is on Wikipedia - and has some Aussie - UK - US measurements.

Of course, such things as an Australian Tablespoon being 20ml while it's 15ml everywhere else doesn't help. :mad:

measures

Humm ... and the Crown just thought they were getting rid of all you trouble makers by shipping you down under ... :LOL:

Maybe someday I'll find a better collection of conversions for cooking ingredients - but these may help with some Australian conversions:

This one has some weight and volume conversions between US - Canadian - Aussie (just scroll down to the metric conversions)

This one is on Wikipedia - and has some Aussie - UK - US measurements.

Of course, such things as an Australian Tablespoon being 20ml while it's 15ml everywhere else doesn't help. :mad:

Hi Michael,

The "CROWN" never managed to ship me any place! Still in Scotland, the land of the "THIN RED LINE". Still, we jest too much - fancy a cup of tea. Could I suggest 4.00 pm on the Boston dock :LOL:

In all honesty, I do find conversions a very tricky and difficult thing to do between imperial/metric and cup measurements between USA, Canadian and Autralian recipes. I tend to use published recipes for examples those from the AWW (Australian Women`s Weekly) books or web site for converting to use in the UK.

All joking aside, any recipe for a soup, stew of a casserole can be moderated with relevant ease to UK metric and imperial measurement. The difficulty lies with baking where fat, flour and sugar ratios are more difficult to manage.

Thank you for posting the sites for conversions. Wikky may be reliable but I`ll trust the AWW site and poster plus my instinct and knowledge in relation to fat, flour and sugar mixtures. :rolleyes:

Many thanks,
Archiduc

We are a simple folk down here so metric is much better than any of your other forms!!! LOL And think about it, if you had to divide tablespoon amounts into a cup, doesn't 20 go much better into 250 than 15 would???!!!! ;-)

Back
Top Bottom