"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-04-2014, 04:23 PM   #51
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

One more suggestion for potato salad.. Use already roasted potatoes. We routinely have wedged up roasted red potatoes with dinner - I usually sprinkle them with some olive oil and seasoning and then bake them in the oven for 35 minutes at high heat until they are browned and cooked through. The potato flavor is intensified by the roasting and the resulting salad is MUCH more flavorful.

Name:   reds.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  25.0 KB

The left overs make fabulous potato salad.

Chop them a little and mixed with chopped hard cooked egg, a little onion, diced bread and butter pickles, celery, and some slivered fennel. Make a dressing of mayo, yellow mustard, vinegar, salt, pepper, a little dill and a generous handful for fresh parsley.. Go easy on the dressing..

Old 06-04-2014, 07:51 PM   #52
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I think I am planning Janet's Potato Salad for this weekend.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:19 PM   #53
Master Chef

That does sound good...
Old 06-04-2014, 09:33 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
My potato salad is pretty basic. Chopped boiled potatoes with the skins unless the skins look disreputable, chopped celery (a small chop), chopped scallions, mayo, a sprinkling of cider vinegar, and salt and pepper. It's pretty darned good.

I use organic potatoes and don't find that they are bland. They aren't as flavourful as Danish potatoes, but still not bland.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:45 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

When I made my curry-methi potato salad, I used roasted potatoes. Don't know if they added the extra "umph" or if it was the methi. At any rate, I got so hooked on methi, I ordered a bunch of methi seeds to grow in the herb garden.

TL--I'll see if I can bring you some new potatoes in July--they should be ready--about the same size as eggs! We planted mostly red ones this year, some blue, some yellow.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:47 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
My potato salad is pretty basic. Chopped boiled potatoes with the skins unless the skins look disreputable, chopped celery (a small chop), chopped scallions, mayo, a sprinkling of cider vinegar, and salt and pepper. It's pretty darned good.

I use organic potatoes and don't find that they are bland. They aren't as flavourful as Danish potatoes, but still not bland.
Na-na-na-na-na, the potatoes we grow are better than the organic ones you get. But that organic ginger was to die for.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:06 AM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Na-na-na-na-na, the potatoes we grow are better than the organic ones you get. But that organic ginger was to die for.
I'll bet they are. But, I'll also bet that your potatoes aren't bland.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:27 AM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

My potato salad came out just great. I still have two batches of scallions to chop up for the freezer, so I'll add a little then. I think just some of the green parts chopped fine will add flavor and color.

I did take out the eggs when they were done. 20 minutes from a cold start and they're just perfect. The potatoes weren't done enough so I continued to cook until they were tender.

It surprised me that the potatoes weren't done as well since I had cut them pretty small.

I ate a small bowl to check it out, and put the rest in the fridge to let the flavors develop.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:40 AM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
One more suggestion for potato salad.. Use already roasted potatoes. We routinely have wedged up roasted red potatoes with dinner - I usually sprinkle them with some olive oil and seasoning and then bake them in the oven for 35 minutes at high heat until they are browned and cooked through. The potato flavor is intensified by the roasting and the resulting salad is MUCH more flavorful.

Attachment 21400

Chop them a little and mixed with chopped hard cooked egg, a little onion, diced bread and butter pickles, celery, and some slivered fennel. Make a dressing of mayo, yellow mustard, vinegar, salt, pepper, a little dill and a generous handful for fresh parsley.. Go easy on the dressing..
All this talk about potato salad made me decide that is what I will serve for lunch tomorrow...I tossed 4 potatoes, chopped, with salt, pepper, EVOO, and a bit of vinegar. Popped those in the oven on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper for about 20 minutes (I flipped them after 12-14 minutes using another cookie sheet covered with parchment paper). I roasted the potatoes at 425. I also put two potatoes, scrubbed, pricked with a fork, rubbed with EVOO and salted with sea salt and 1 head of garlic in the oven at the same time. I also washed and cut up 4 potatoes, cooked on the stove. I let the potatoes cool (but sprinkled them with pickle juice while they were still warm). My original thought was to make a mayo-based dressing. The potatoes begged for oil and vinegar. I added some chopped sundried tomatoes to the potatoes, more dill pickle juice from a batch I made last summer. Tossed together, adjusted the EVOO. Now in the fridge where the flavours are getting married. I just could not see dressing this with a mayo-based dressing.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:01 PM   #60
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post

Attachment 21400

This sounds like the answer to my lack of love for this dish anymore.
Even just the roasted potato's look great!

Tags
potato, salad