Need help with potato salad...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm thinking potato salad with pickled eggs (made by immersing the eggs in dill pickle juice...hmmm...I have some cured eggs that are just begging to be made into pickled eggs...).

I sprinkle the potatoes with pickle juice while still warm. Well, dilly bean juice anymore, since we decided we like crunchy dilly beans in it instead of pickles (I do not make decent dills).

Also use more salt and pepper than I normally would. A little celery and dressing is just mayo w/ a little dijon.

I like to sprinkle warm potatoes with a little rice vinegar or pickle juice before dressing, too. I rarely make it the same way twice, but it's hard to mess up so I almost always love it. The only way I really don't care for it is with mustard - maybe just a tiny bit, but I don't want it 'yellow'. :)

I really don't mind what potatoes I use, I like it both with firm potatoes and with floury ones. I must have onion and celery lots of HB eggs and chopped dill pickle. Many years ago my DH said "don't you put grated carrot in". (His mother did). I didn't think it was a bad idea so now I put finely grated carrot in. I dress simply with mayo, mustard ( sorry Cheryl) ;). Dill pickle juice and lots of pepper and some paprika. I used to use Miracle Whip instead of mayo as I was a MW junkie. As I aged I guess my tastes changed and now some things get mayo and some get MW.(turkey sandwich.....Miracle Whip, and lots of it!) Potato Salad ..... Mayonnaise, and no store brands, Best Foods/Hellman's only and MW salad dressing.

Of course now I'm hungry for potato salad.

I picked up a small bag of red potatoes yesterday. I'd never thought of cutting them to size before cooking, so I'll try that this time. I'll also add my dressing while the potatoes are still warm. I also boil some eggs in the same cooking water as the potatoes.

*stomach growling* I'm hungry, so I'd better get chopping.

Last edited:
At the same time.;)
My grandmother and mother always did that when making pasta or potato salad. You just want to make sure you don't overcook the eggs. I've always done it, as well. I also add celery seed to the water when cooking the potatoes or pasta.

Well, I couldn't resist making up another batch of potato salad either, as my last batch turned out so good, and this time I cooked the eggs along with the potatoes, which I've not done before. The eggs turned out perfect!

Last edited:
One more suggestion for potato salad.. Use already roasted potatoes. We routinely have wedged up roasted red potatoes with dinner - I usually sprinkle them with some olive oil and seasoning and then bake them in the oven for 35 minutes at high heat until they are browned and cooked through. The potato flavor is intensified by the roasting and the resulting salad is MUCH more flavorful.

reds.jpg

The left overs make fabulous potato salad.

Chop them a little and mixed with chopped hard cooked egg, a little onion, diced bread and butter pickles, celery, and some slivered fennel. Make a dressing of mayo, yellow mustard, vinegar, salt, pepper, a little dill and a generous handful for fresh parsley.. Go easy on the dressing.. :chef:

My potato salad is pretty basic. Chopped boiled potatoes with the skins unless the skins look disreputable, chopped celery (a small chop), chopped scallions, mayo, a sprinkling of cider vinegar, and salt and pepper. It's pretty darned good.

I use organic potatoes and don't find that they are bland. They aren't as flavourful as Danish potatoes, but still not bland.

When I made my curry-methi potato salad, I used roasted potatoes. Don't know if they added the extra "umph" or if it was the methi. At any rate, I got so hooked on methi, I ordered a bunch of methi seeds to grow in the herb garden.

TL--I'll see if I can bring you some new potatoes in July--they should be ready--about the same size as eggs! We planted mostly red ones this year, some blue, some yellow.

My potato salad is pretty basic. Chopped boiled potatoes with the skins unless the skins look disreputable, chopped celery (a small chop), chopped scallions, mayo, a sprinkling of cider vinegar, and salt and pepper. It's pretty darned good.

I use organic potatoes and don't find that they are bland. They aren't as flavourful as Danish potatoes, but still not bland.
Na-na-na-na-na, the potatoes we grow are better than the organic ones you get;). But that organic ginger was to die for.

My potato salad came out just great. I still have two batches of scallions to chop up for the freezer, so I'll add a little then. I think just some of the green parts chopped fine will add flavor and color.

I did take out the eggs when they were done. 20 minutes from a cold start and they're just perfect. The potatoes weren't done enough so I continued to cook until they were tender.

It surprised me that the potatoes weren't done as well since I had cut them pretty small.

I ate a small bowl to check it out, and put the rest in the fridge to let the flavors develop.

One more suggestion for potato salad.. Use already roasted potatoes. We routinely have wedged up roasted red potatoes with dinner - I usually sprinkle them with some olive oil and seasoning and then bake them in the oven for 35 minutes at high heat until they are browned and cooked through. The potato flavor is intensified by the roasting and the resulting salad is MUCH more flavorful.

View attachment 21400

Chop them a little and mixed with chopped hard cooked egg, a little onion, diced bread and butter pickles, celery, and some slivered fennel. Make a dressing of mayo, yellow mustard, vinegar, salt, pepper, a little dill and a generous handful for fresh parsley.. Go easy on the dressing.. :chef:
All this talk about potato salad made me decide that is what I will serve for lunch tomorrow...I tossed 4 potatoes, chopped, with salt, pepper, EVOO, and a bit of vinegar. Popped those in the oven on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper for about 20 minutes (I flipped them after 12-14 minutes using another cookie sheet covered with parchment paper). I roasted the potatoes at 425. I also put two potatoes, scrubbed, pricked with a fork, rubbed with EVOO and salted with sea salt and 1 head of garlic in the oven at the same time. I also washed and cut up 4 potatoes, cooked on the stove. I let the potatoes cool (but sprinkled them with pickle juice while they were still warm). My original thought was to make a mayo-based dressing. The potatoes begged for oil and vinegar. I added some chopped sundried tomatoes to the potatoes, more dill pickle juice from a batch I made last summer. Tossed together, adjusted the EVOO. Now in the fridge where the flavours are getting married. I just could not see dressing this with a mayo-based dressing.

View attachment 21400

This sounds like the answer to my lack of love for this dish anymore.
Even just the roasted potato's look great!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom