Need help with potato salad...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's the opinion of many to make it while the potatoes are hot. To answer a previous question about how to peel them when hot, just fold up a clean dish towel or pot holder in your hand holding the potato. A table knife will peel off the softened cooked skin.

It's the opinion of many to make it while the potatoes are hot. To answer a previous question about how to peel them when hot, just fold up a clean dish towel or pot holder in your hand holding the potato. A table knife will peel off the softened cooked skin.

Interestingly, I made some pot sal last night, from extra refrigerated potatoes. It turned out really good! The skins slid off comfortably, and the potatoes didn't need extra dressing today. I've found when they're dressed hot, they tend to suck up the dressing and can need more. This worked out really well!

Thanks again for the clever ideas. Never thought to add dressing while the potatoes are still warm. Ours seems to have plenty of flavor and how do you handle a "hot potato" to peel/cube it? Ouch.

I use Yukon Gold potatoes because the skins are thin and I don't peel them. I cut them up before cooking; I've read that they taste better when boiled with their skins on, but I haven't noticed a difference in flavor, since I add a fair amount of seasonings. It also takes much less time to cook cubed than whole potatoes.

Then I drain the potatoes and spread them in a large bowl, up the sides, to cool a bit. Then sprinkle with a couple tbsp. cider vinegar and salt and pepper. In a separate bowl, mix mayo, Dijon mustard, 2 stalks of minced celery, about 3 tbsp. minced dill pickles and a couple of shallots. Fold the dressing gently over the potatoes, sprinkle with a couple tbsp. chopped parsley, fold that in, then chill a few hours and serve.

Interestingly, I made some pot sal last night, from extra refrigerated potatoes. It turned out really good! The skins slid off comfortably, and the potatoes didn't need extra dressing today. I've found when they're dressed hot, they tend to suck up the dressing and can need more. This worked out really well!
I always dress my potato salad when cold--otherwise it sucks up too much dressing. I also like to leave the skins on...and my latest version of potato salad included methi...because it was a curry-based salad. I definitely like adding a "green" to potato salad and would consider adding spinach/swiss chard/kale.

I probably do too much dressing to my dressing. I like my potato salad creamy so I usually use mayo, sour cream, yogurt + seasonings. And don't forget the garlic chives! I do toss the warm potatoes with EVOO (a trick I learned from a chef) and some vinegar. Don't know if that is why the dressing doesn't get "dry" overnight or not.

Last edited:
I wish I could remember how I made the potato salad at Sizzler...heck that's 30 years ago. I kn ow it used an obscene amount of salt and had to rest overnight, we used the leftover baked potatoes from the night before and I made it everyday.

I don't use celery because I don't like it. If you are concerned about overpowering flavor, use less. You can add a diced cuke for crunch in addition to or instead of celery.

My mother always made potato salad with thinly sliced red radishes for crunch, color and flavor. Because I grew up with it, I always feel like something is lacking when I have potato salad without them.

Last edited:
Hmm, I never would have thought of radishes...good tip.

When I am making five pounds of potatoes for a bunch of folks I do add the radishes. I scrub them really good and then dice them fine. I also will take the skin of a few tomatoes and make roses for decoration. Dress it up a little to make it look appealing. Sometimes I have even taken onion rings, dredged them in seasoned flour and then gave then a fry in some olive oil. Place them around the bottom of the plate on the edge of the lettuce bed. :angel:

I always dress my potato salad when cold--otherwise it sucks up too much dressing. I also like to leave the skins on...and my latest version of potato salad included methi...because it was a curry-based salad. I definitely like adding a "green" to potato salad and would consider adding spinach/swiss chard/kale.

Hee, hee! That's why I do it ;)

When I've got it I use a lot of parsley.

Last edited:
I want those spuds to suck up my tasty dressing! Otherwise the potatoes are too bland.

I love radishes and they are going in from now on.

For a killer presentation make an eggless potato salad and serve in a shallow bowl topped with dressed deviled eggs.

ElleShip, does your DH like cream-based or oil-based potato salad? I'm guessing he likes it zesty. If it's creamy, like CW I "over-dress" my salad, using mayo and yogurt/sour cream in half-and-half proportions. I season the dressing first, then add the cold-and-cut-up potatoes (I'll have to try it with warm potatoes next time). I leave the skins on, or at least the parts that don't come off when cutting the spuds up.

Besides the mayo and dairy product, I use Colman's dry mustard, a small splash of tabasco sauce, paprika, a seasoned salt, fresh-ground pepper and, sometimes, dill. Taste as you go, and make sure you have enough to cover all the potatoes. For the ad-ins we like celery, my Mom used radishes, and chopped up dill pickles always seem right if you're serving the salad with hot dogs. I also include one hard-cooked egg for every one large or two smaller potatoes (reds or yellows), saving a nice center slice or two from each egg to use atop the finished salad.

Last summer I tried a no-mayo potato salad. Himself and I had never had one, and we both loved powerplantop's version. If you want to give that one a try you can find the recipe here: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f11/no-mayo-potato-salad-86403.html

I've made it with both warm and cold tater's. Had success with both.

IMHO the dressing and other ingredients are what makes the potato salad.

Different types of tater's add a subtle difference but are highly interchangeable.

I'm not a big celery lover but chopped fine and used sparingly it adds a lot to taste and texture.
As far as herbs & spices go. Use what you have a hankering for at the moment.

I guess I like to experiment with potato salad because I never make it the same way twice. I use what's on hand so every time it's an adventure.

I also tend to look at it like toppings on a baked tater. If it would taste good there then it would be good as a tater salad.

Potatoes are one of natures wonder foods. They go great with most everything and there so many ways to prepare them. They are also inexpensive so even if you screw up it's no big thing.

Just 2 personal favorites. Bacon and hard cooked eggs. You can never go wrong with bacon and the eggs just seem to add a something I like in my tater salad.

Good luck in your quest.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the type of potato used and how that can affect the dish....

there's low starch, all purpose, high starch potatoes. they do not cook up "all the same"
hold on.... from my scratch notes:
potatoes high starch russet - bake / mash / fry / whip
potatoes low starch waxy - reds, fingerling, yukon - boiling
potatoes medium starch AP, kinnebec, white - /gratin / scallop / casserole

high starch aka "mealy" potatoes start to disintegrate as the cooking/boiling continues.
this is a good thing if you like a "creamy" potato salad - not far from the 'use up the old baked potatoes' idea

low starch aka 'waxy' potatoes do not exhibit that behavior.
depending on geography, a hot potato salad dressing - especially with bacon - is often called 'German' style.

I like to peel & dice then boil my high starch varieties until just the edges are starting to "mealy off" - when cooled and combined with mayo/etc type dressings - makes a salad with lots of creamy stuff in between the chunks.

waxy type potatoes stay more crisp&clean 'as cut' - these I like with a 'thinner / non-mayo' type dressing.

these are only my own personal preferences;
your preference may vary;
everyone's preferences are allowed to vary.
what's the problem with that?

additives abound and vary more than potato types.
mustard
mayo
celery /celery seed
peppers - any color any heat
egg
pickles (diced) / relish
onion / all colors / scallion / raw leeks
peas

and for a bit of zing, pip and "waz'zat?" - two secrets:
smattering of smashed/creamed anchovy
or a dash of horseradish.

don't tell, keep 'em guessing.....

You have to jazz up those potatoes with something. While I'm willing to make a no mayo, no boiled egg, no onion potato salad, I still (most of the time, but not always) add some celery. I can't give exact measures because mine is based on what my husband and son want and I just eye ball it. I usually start with 6 good sized red potato.. wash and prepare them which includes cubing them. Into the micowave to cook while I mix ranch dressing w/ sour cream, garlic granules, pepper, parsley flakes, Worcestershire sauce (probably a couple tablespoons) but not enough to make the dressing too brown. When the potatoes are done I run cold water over them for a couple seconds leaving them warm, drain and then fold in the dressing along with lots of chopped crispy bacon. Reserve a tablespoon or so of the bacon to sprinkle over the top. My husband likes his cold, the son likes it room temperature and I give mine a little ride in the microwave to warm it up. Every one is happy.

I used to make a fuss over potatoes falling apart and did everything in my power to keep the pieces whole.
I have since changed my mind and would rather have the salad in a semi mashed state.
I also subscribe to baked potato over boiled.
I also dress while still warm, not hot.
Eggs are added in small amounts. If I wanted egg salad, I would make egg salad. Usually one boiled egg in the salad and one for garnish.

I do not love this dish as much as I used too. Maybe I am due for a different type dressing. Maybe the warm vinegar type?

I think I will make a small macaroni salad for tonight. I have plenty herbs as the garden is really starting to produce. The plants look so healthy and I should have my first tomato in less than one week. Herbs are in full swing.

Back
Top Bottom