"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 02-13-2007, 11:46 AM   #11
Master Chef
Jeekins, I suggest you go to the produce section in your grocery store and peruse the assorted vegetables. Try some things you haven't fixed before, and include different colors for both eye appeal and nutrional value.

We love oven roasted vegetables. Toss an assortment in olive oil and sprinkle with dry Italian dressing mix or a good garlic herb seasoning, spread out on cookie sheet and roast at 400 degrees until tender. Good vegies for this are: red or orange bell peppers (more vitamin C than oranges), carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts, asparagus, sliced onions, leeks, cabbage wedges, whole cloves of garlic, zucchini or yellow squash, and halved Roma tomatoes.

Another simple, delicious way to prepare vegies is braising them in chicken broth. Add a bit of minced garlic and a pat of butter to a can of chicken broth in a skillet. Great vegies for this are asparagus, broccoli, leeks, baby new potatoes, green beans, carrots, cauliflower, sugar snaps or snow peas and cabbage wedges.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:47 PM   #12
Senior Cook
When I want to get dinner on the table quick, I use Lipton Noodles N Sauce or Rice N Sauce.

Sliced zucchini stir fried with onions & mushrooms is good.

Vegas Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:50 PM   #13
Master Chef
There are a lot of good boxed mixes these days. Most of them have quite a bit of sodium, but if that's not a problem for you, don't worry about it.
Here are some I recommend:
*Zatarains...everything I've tasted is good, and they give suggestions for variations and additions on the side of the box.
*Rice-a-roni...I don't care what the gourmands say, it's delicious, and you can vary it all sorts of ways by adding vegetable, cooked meats, etc. Just don't add anything salty, like soy sauce.
*Kraft Easy Mac...Cooks in your microwave in 3 minutes or so, and tastes much better than the stove-top version. Cook 2 pkgs, add a can of drained tuna, and you've got lunch.
*Look in your freezer section...there are all sorts of easy fix sides in there. They even have vegetables that you can nuke right in the bag.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:51 AM   #14
Master Chef
Thanks for all these wonderful ideas. This time of year, where we live, the sides can get very, very, very boring. It is easy to get stuck on stuff that is too starchy, which is **** if you live with a diabetic. As far as the starch goes, though, one thing that really works well for me are those potatoes wrapped and ready to nuke. Yes, I know they are more expensive, and if I had a few kids or other family to feed, I'd never use them. But for just me it is nice. I depend on bags of frozen veggies. My husband has gotten into wanting a salad of some sort while we watch the evening news, then we go eat dinner. This has really cut down how much he wants to eat, lost a few pounds a month over a year. And it is kinda nice to sit there while he complains about the tellivision's coverage of the news. Haha. But I do think that salads in their many and varying forms are the best sides. Winter staples are a head of iceberg and one of cabbage. I dress them differently every few days.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:56 AM   #15
Master Chef
Jeekinz - your list is definitely lacking in one of the most important vegetable groups - dark leafy greens!!!! Try spinach, kale, &/or swiss chard sauteed in olive oil with garlic or other seasonings of choice.

You're also missing out on the "orange" family, as in carrots, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, etc. Carrots can be boiled & buttered or sugar-glazed; sweet potatoes baked & buttered; & tomatoes can be used raw in salads, sliced & sauteed in butter, or halved & broiled with a cheese or crumb topping.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:14 AM   #16
Senior Cook
Many of you have mentioned sweet potatoes. We are currently addicted to them and they are so easy & pretty! Our favorite is baked with salt & Pepper and butter - that's it. Make sure you put something under the potato as the sugar comes out and makes a mess in your oven.
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:20 AM   #17
Master Chef
This is one we all love. You can leave out the banana if you want and just replace it with more sweet potatoes as I've made it both ways.

Whipped Sweet Potatoes and Bananas with Honey

Recipes : Whipped Sweet Potatoes and Bananas with Honey : Food Network

10 small Red Potatoes, cleaned
1 tsp Fresh Rosemary, chopped
1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Clove of Garlic, peeled and kept whole
1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
1/8 tsp Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees:
On low-medium heat add the EVOO to a saucepan then add the whole cloves of garlic. Heat for 2-3 minutes, careful to move the garlic around so that it doesn't burn. Remove garlic cloves.
In a mixing bowl toss the potatoes with the ingredients and transfer to a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until fork tender. I usually start checking them at 30 minutes and then adjust cooking time.
TIP: If some of the potatoes are larger than the others then cut in half. You want them to be pretty close in size to cook evenly.
Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:29 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I love to roast a variety of vegetables at one time and serve over pasta:

Brussels sprouts
grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
sweet red pepper

Just drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Turn at the appropriate time. When ready to serve toss with some penne pasta or your favorite, drizzle with more olive oil (or even a red chili infused olive oil) and a touch more kosher salt and pepper if needed.

Like Breezy said kale or swiss chard would be a wonderful addition.

Also, sometimes I will chunk carrots the same size as my potatoes and cook them together and mash together - has a great flavor and nice color.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:40 PM   #19
Executive Chef
par boil baby carrots in salted water, drain and let dry, then saute in olive oil with rosemary, or in butter with nutmeg
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:55 PM   #20
Master Chef
Here's one of my favorite root vegetable mixes that is super easy & goes especially well with plain roasted meats - especially chicken.

2 thin-skinned/waxy white or red potatoes
2 turnips
2 small/medium onions
2 large/thick carrots
Handful of peeled garlic cloves, or peeled cloves from 2 heads
Extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
Dried or fresh-chopped rosemary

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Cut potatoes in half lengthwise & each half in thirds crosswise. Peel turnips, cut in half lengthwise & each half in thirds crosswise. Peel onions, cut in half lengthwise & each half in half.again lengthwise. Peel carrots & cut in 2” long chunks.

Place all vegetables on a rimmed baking sheet & pour approx. ½ cup of olive oil over. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, rosemary, & paprika, & using your hands, toss vegetables on baking sheet until thoroughly covered with oil & spices. Spread vegetables out on baking sheet in a single layer, or as close thereto as possible.

Roast vegetables for 15 minutes at 450, stirring occasionally, then turn heat down to 400 & continue roasting for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Test for doneness by piercing with a sharp knife, which should slide in fairly easily, but perhaps with a “little” resistance in the center.

BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote