"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 02-13-2007, 08:06 AM   #1
Executive Chef
Need help with side dishes

I'm getting pretty bored with the sides I cook, so I'm looking for some new and different ones. I always have NY strips, pork chops, various chicken parts on hand. Here my rotation:

Asparagus - grilled, sauteed w/ garlic, roasted w or w/o garlic

Corn - canned, grilled on the cob, boiled on the cob

Potatoes - Loaded baked, home made fries, gratin, roasted red w/rosemary, sauteed fingerling, mashed w/onions & garlic.

Sauteed mushrooms w/thyme & cognac

Cauliflower & goat cheese gratin.

Thats all I can think of. Any new ideas would be great. -J

Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:29 AM   #2
Executive Chef
cut brocoli spears, saute in garlic evoo and hot pepper flakes, then add chichen broth and cover for a few min. sweet tender and very tasty.

stringbeans blanched then sauteed with garlic in evoo or with bacon and dry white wine (just a small amount) ... for an asian flare add soy sauce and hot peanut sauce

swiss chard (which is very mild) or baby spinach, sauteed in garlic and broth (dash hot pepper flakes)

if you are doing any kind of roast (chicken, game hens, beef, pot roast, pork loin, whatever...toss cut up root veggies (carrots, parsnips, onion 1/4s, turnips, sweet potatoes) into the pan for the last hour...they are so good when cooked that way with the meat juices. Or just rost with garlic and evoo in a pan by themselves and maybe some thyme.

Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:39 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
Like your idea about stringbeans, Robo!

Boil up some carrots in orange juice instead of water.

Put some chili powder on the corn.
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:43 AM   #4
Executive Chef
Thanks for the reply. The broccoli looks like a winner, I always would just melt some cheese over it. The roasts I make that way all the time, I also add lemon and white wine for poultry or red wine, garlic and beef stock for meats.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:55 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
There is broccoli...steamed with lemon butter sauce
Also...a quick stir fry of yellow/zuchini squash/mushrooms in EVOO Course salt..
Then there are Sweet potatoes..lots of brain storming there.
New potatoes boiled in Crab boil...
Cold pasta salads...again numerous ideas
Grilled portabellas...

Knowing what part of "the south" you lived in might help!
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:04 AM   #6
Master Chef
I make a dish similar to the famous green bean casserole but slightly different and even my vegetable hating bro-in-law eats it. We call it John Deere casserole.

1 can whole corn
1 can french style green beans
1 can cream of celery soup
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sour cream

Mix together place in greased casserole dish
Top with 1 roll Ritz crackers crushed mixed with 1/2 cup butter(melted) and 1/2 cup slivered almonds

bake 350 degrees F for 35 mins.

Another fave is broccoli Parmesan bake

2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 can evaporated milk
1 cup parmesan cheese grated
40 oz frozen chopped broccoli
mix together place ingreased 9x13 pan
bake 350 for 30-35 mins.

How about scalloped caggage?

2 tbs butter
1 cup milk
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese (I always double this since we like cheese)
1/4 cup buttered bread crumbs(I usually cube my bread make enough to cover your dish)
2 tsp salt
4 cup shredded cabbage ( about 1/2 a head or 1 bag slaw cabbage)

Heat milk and butter-add cheese and salt- add cabbage- pour into greased casserole dish- top with bread crumbs
bake 350 for 1 hour.
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:18 AM   #7
Executive Chef
Great ideas jabbur. Plus, there will be leftovers for lunch or dinner the next day. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:36 AM   #8
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to college_cook
You might try some herbed cornbread with your porkchops.

Your solution could also be as simple as rotating in some new vegetables: squash or spinach maybe. Depending how you prepare your main dishes, various rice or bean sides might be appropriate. Simple rissottos, or polentas could work nicely too.
college_cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:56 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Hi, Jeekinz. One of the things we like with beef or pork roast, roast chicken or Cornish hens is small new potatoes. I'll usually put enough small, scrubbed new (red) potatoes for each serving on its own piece of parchment paper. Sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Dot with butter. The real thing. Margarine just doesn't leave me with the tastiest end product. I then put in one sprig of fresh rosemary. Seal the bags and bake the potatoes a 400 degrees F for about 25 minutes. One pound of potatoes will usually serve 4. They're really yummy and the fragrance coming from the oven is heavenly.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:44 AM   #10
Master Chef
Green salads of all varieties make great sides, as do slaws. Something different we did lately was to peel, wash, and cut and cook sweet potatoes into french fries. They were then lightly salted and served. Everyone thought they were great. Try adding different flavorings to veggies like asparagus, or green beans. For instance, saute' your green beans in olive oil, with garlic, then Springle with Dill Weed, or Tarragon.

A hit in my house wa to seed mini-pumpkins and bake with butter, and brown sugar inside.

Three-bean salads are always a hit and can be made with any fariety of beans. And speaking of beans, backed beans, or even doctored pork and beans make a great side dish.

Rice can be cooked up and flavored with herbs, spices, oils, or meat stocks. It can be made with white, long-grain, wild, brown, or a combination of all three. Mix in some chopped, saute'd mushrooms, and diced onion, and you have something far different than plain rice.

Try various stuffings for your poultry and pork. these can include savory bread dressings, rice and vermacelli with diced onion, peppers, herbs, etc, or even fruit stuffings.

And don't forget tomatoes. cut into chunks and drizzle with vinager and oil, some freshly minced oregano and/or basil, and black pepper.

Soups make a wnderful side as well and can be creamy, brothy, or even like a stew, depending on the theme of your meal. For instance, roasted chicken, seasoned with chili powder, lime juice, cilantro, and peppers is wonderful with a cold gazpacho.

Cheese doesn't have to come in a hot, creamy sauce to sit well at the table. Try various types of cheese. Great table cheeses include high-quality cheddar, either sharp or medium, creamy and buttery havarti, a full-bodied swiss, Slices of piquant Gruyere, and the ever popular and versatile cottage cheese. And don't forget Muenster or Colby.

Fresh fruits don't have to be reserved for desert either. Serve up some mellon salad, including, but not limited to cubed watermellon, musk mellon, honeydew, casaba, and a host of others. Add to this mixture some plump raisens, maybe some pineapple chunks, starberries, and grapes. Serve this with pork or lamb.

Slaws are a great side and can be made from grated carrot, with Miracle Whip, sugar, and raisons. They can also be made with jicama, parsnip, or cabbage. I've even been known to grate up rutabegga and/or turnips into my slaws to give a bit of change.

For corn, roast it or cook it on the grill. Serve with melted butter that has had a bit of liquid smoke mixed in.

As for potatoes, well, there are as many ways to cook and serve potatoes as there are people to cook them. Do a quick Google search and you will get more ideas than you know what to do with.

Some of my favorites are potatoes mashed with evaporated milk, roasted garlic, and butter, potatoes Anna, Scalloped potatoes with grated Cheddar and ham, or with just butter and onions, cut into wedges, skin-on, tossed with olive oil, and roasted with oregano and garlic sprinkled over them. You can also great them and make them into hash-browns. Or if you have one, force the skinned and cooked potatoes through a ricer. Serve just with butter.

Take zuchini and halve. remove the center, pithy part and stuff with tomato, onion, , diced peppers, and whole-kernal corn. Drizzle with EVOO and bake until everything is soft. Serve each person their own half.

Small peppers can be stuffed with numerous things and served up as sides. You can also make savory sides with pre-made puff-pastry shells, filled with veggie/cheese mixtures, or potatoes and gravy.

Sides can be the star of the show. Try veggies you've never had before. Don't forget the grains. Use breads and starchy veggies along with the main course. And don't forget the seasonings to turn ordinary into extraordinary.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote